New Rules - what are you for and against?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played 9 holes today and not once did I have the flag taken out for any length of putt, i reckon alignment and pace is easier to judge with the flag in rather than just seeing the shape of the top of the hole from yards away

How many were flung from the hole by that pesky flag? ;)

Wolf

Visit site
Me to I go to enjoy my golf .
It would depend on the circumstances as I can’t see three pps all refusing to tend a reasonable request.
But in a matchplay singles he would be standing on his own.

Wouldn't that be cutting your nose off so to speak. Opportunity to play and win a match that you'd effectively hand to an opponent because of a flag tending debate. The only person that comes out of that with anything to show for it is the guy that's been handed the win.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I strongly agree with the point that a lot of this is never going to speed up the slow players. We have had several instances recently of players recoding 10 plus on their score cards in stableford comps.

Ready Golf has been in force at our club for a very long time now but we still have groups who just will not play it. They all walk to one ball watch the the guy hit, walk to the next ball and so on and still continue to do so despite being spoken to on several occasions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't that be cutting your nose off so to speak. Opportunity to play and win a match that you'd effectively hand to an opponent because of a flag tending debate. The only person that comes out of that with anything to show for it is the guy that's been handed the win.
I don’t think he would win .
If he refused a reasonable request to tend the flag I would just let the comp committee decide.
The “rules” on tending the flag hasn’t changed it’s just given you another option.
I am pretty confident they would take a dim view of any refusal .
This may well be put to the test soon given the conflicting views on here.
Will be interesting to see the outcome, but differing committees may come to different decisions.
I did ask but nobody answered.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I strongly agree with the point that a lot of this is never going to speed up the slow players. We have had several instances recently of players recoding 10 plus on their score cards in stableford comps.

Ready Golf has been in force at our club for a very long time now but we still have groups who just will not play it. They all walk to one ball watch the the guy hit, walk to the next ball and so on and still continue to do so despite being spoken to on several occasions.
Slow players are just slow!
All the rule changes in the world won’t change that.

Wolf

Visit site
I don’t think he would win .
If he refused a reasonable request to tend the flag I would just let the comp committee decide.
The “rules” on tending the flag hasn’t changed it’s just given you another option.
I am pretty confident they would take a dim view of any refusal .
This may well be put to the test soon given the conflicting views on here.
Will be interesting to see the outcome, but differing committees may come to different decisions.
I did ask but nobody answered.

That's the thing though I think he will win. The new rules stipulate what can be done when tending the flag, they do not state just because a player asks you to that you have to do it. Therefore that's more of an etiquette thing between you and your opponent. He cannot be disqualified for breaking a rule as he hasn't broken any rule of golf by refusing. It would be you who has walked off the course because of a debate of etiquette thus awarding him the match. If your club tried to then award you the game saying he has breached a rule then club would be in the wrong also and he should still be awared the match. Though you could argue he is morally in the wrong, he is not doing anything against the rules of golf

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the thing though I think he will win. The new rules stipulate what can be done when tending the flag, they do not state just because a player asks you to that you have to do it. Therefore that's more of an etiquette thing between you and your opponent. He cannot be disqualified for breaking a rule as he hasn't broken any rule of golf by refusing. It would be you who has walked off the course because of a debate of etiquette thus awarding him the match. If your club tried to then award you the game saying he has breached a rule then club would be in the wrong also and he should still be awared the match. Because though you could argue me is morally in the wrong, he is not doing anything against the rules of golf
You can be DQ for a serious breach of etiquette.
It happened at my club a few weeks ago and the guy was the winner!
As I said it will be interesting to find out.

I will ask the rules guys.

Wolf

Visit site
You can be DQ for a serious breach of etiquette.
It happened at my club a few weeks ago and the guy was the winner!
As I said it will be interesting to find out.
But again it's one word against another, you walk off the course your also breaching etiquette of playing your agreed match. I would still argue walking off is the greater breach of etiquette than not tending the flag. So if I were that person I'd argue that all the way with the committee.

Edit: as you say that will be interesting

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But again it's one word against another, you walk off the course your also breaching etiquette of playing your agreed match. I would still argue walking off is the greater breach of etiquette than not tending the flag. So if I were that person I'd argue that all the way with the committee.

Edit: as you say that will be interesting
I would argue the refusal was first and as such caused the second.

I am intrigued now to find out so have posted the question in the rules section.

D

Deleted member 3432

That's the thing though I think he will win. The new rules stipulate what can be done when tending the flag, they do not state just because a player asks you to that you have to do it. Therefore that's more of an etiquette thing between you and your opponent. He cannot be disqualified for breaking a rule as he hasn't broken any rule of golf by refusing. It would be you who has walked off the course because of a debate of etiquette thus awarding him the match. If your club tried to then award you the game saying he has breached a rule then club would be in the wrong also and he should still be awared the match. Because though you could argue me is morally in the wrong, he is not doing anything against the rules of golf
I would argue the refusal was first and as such caused the second.

I am intrigued now to find out so have posted the question in the rules section.
I'm with you on this one, life's too short to be wasting time playing against clowns.
Never bothered about the result in matchplay as long as the game is played in the right spirit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So have we moved on from post 279?
It’s a civil debate , there’s been no trouble between us just differing views.
Isn’t that what we do here?
Asked the rules guys now but it’s not looking good for me.
And it looks like you may be wrong ,apparently it’s not a major breach!

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not sure what all the fuss is about here. I suppose those posting are the ones with the strongest opinions on the topic either way, which is why is looks like a simple rule change will actually cause golfing armeggedon.

Personally I'll putt with the flag in on every hole until a pp/fc asks for it out and I'll then I'll just keep it out, and expect the vast majority of players will do the same. Over time I expect more and more people will leave it in and it will become normal in years to come, especially if pros do it.

The rules aren't just set for your immediate next round of golf, but also for the long term future and will take a while to bed in.

As for the tending, if in a comp or match I'll do as asked. I'd then bring it up in the bar and politely challenge why - most will simply do it out of habit and will not actually think any other way until a discussion on it. Socially, not a chance - putt up and get on with it.

Would be nice if the new rules combined could save 10/15 mins per round, but the changes don't really address the main causes of slow play so expecting any more than that is going to lead to a let down imo.

As many have said, most clubs encourage ready golf and have done for a long time - some groups are just set in very old habits and as they also age and get slower physically then this obviously causes them to play slower. At the other end you've plenty of youngsters copying incredibly slow Pro routines too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what all the fuss is about here. I suppose those posting are the ones with the strongest opinions on the topic either way, which is why is looks like a simple rule change will actually cause golfing armeggedon.

Personally I'll putt with the flag in on every hole until a pp/fc asks for it out and I'll then I'll just keep it out, and expect the vast majority of players will do the same. Over time I expect more and more people will leave it in and it will become normal in years to come, especially if pros do it.

The rules aren't just set for your immediate next round of golf, but also for the long term future and will take a while to bed in.

As for the tending, if in a comp or match I'll do as asked. I'd then bring it up in the bar and politely challenge why - most will simply do it out of habit and will not actually think any other way until a discussion on it. Socially, not a chance - putt up and get on with it.

Would be nice if the new rules combined could save 10/15 mins per round, but the changes don't really address the main causes of slow play so expecting any more than that is going to lead to a let down imo.

As many have said, most clubs encourage ready golf and have done for a long time - some groups are just set in very old habits and as they also age and get slower physically then this obviously causes them to play slower. At the other end you've plenty of youngsters copying incredibly slow Pro routines too.
Yes I see your point but the change has had consequences for people who like the flag attended.
It’s a personal choice. I never have the flag in if I can see the hole properly.
But respect another’s choice to have it in if they want.

I don’t think we can change slow play it’s here for keeps imo.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The simplest solution is to remove the option to have the flag tended. The reason it was an option was to avoid the penalty of the ball hitting the pin on long putts when you can't see the hole clearly. As there is no longer a penalty in this scenario then there is no reason to have the pin tended any more.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The simplest solution is to remove the option to have the flag tended. The reason it was an option was to avoid the penalty of the ball hitting the pin on long putts when you can't see the hole clearly. As there is no longer a penalty in this scenario then there is no reason to have the pin tended any more.

Top of the class Sir!

👍⛳

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You make the assumption that the only possible disadvantage to hitting the pin is a penalty. That is a huge assumption and, as already posted, one that is currently being tested by a huge number of professionals and coaches ahead of this weekend's tournaments - the only thing you can be absolutely sure about is that if there is any possible overall benefit in having the pin remain in the hole when putting it will never be coming out again on TV!