New Rules - what are you for and against?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally get its a confidence thing and why he had it tended in the past, but now he can leave the flag in surely that's more beneficial and would require no need for it to be tended.

Perhaps in some earlier posts in the thread Jacko could have worded it better or less bluntly to stop people assuming the trolling or inconsiderate nature of his point, I often don't agree with what he posts but in this case I am actually with him on this, the fact he hasn't backed down doesn't make him a troll or inconsiderate in this case it merely means he believes in his stance and why should he change it just because others wish to stick to doing something that really is no longer required and actually now have a better option.

That bit right there in bold is why I agree with this standpoint, instead of walking all the way up the green to tend the flag thus delaying getting ready for your own shot and doing the necessary housekeeping around the green is what will help keep things moving.

And for those that mentioned playing in turn in matchplay is required to gain strategical advantage, the R&A ruling on ready golf agrees with you and states ready golf is not appropriate for matchplay, so nothing changes there, the excert below lifted directly from their website.
Having a better option is only your opinion.
Flag out is my preferred option.
If someone chooses to have it tended that’s their option.
None is wrong , it’s a choice available that’s all I am saying.

But if someone refused my request he would be playing the rest of the round without me.

Wolf

Visit site
Having a better option is only your opinion.
Flag out is my preferred option.
If someone chooses to have it tended that’s their option.
None is wrong , it’s a choice available that’s all I am saying.

But if someone refused my request he would be playing the rest of the round without me.
Agreed it is my opinion and also agree neither is wrong.

Not trying be pedantic but if he was marking your card in a comp would that mean you're then going to NR and not finish the round. I'm only asking as I think it's going to be intriguing how it pans out over the year ahead with a whole change in attitudes towards it, that's not to single you out as merely replying to your comment as I think there'll be many with a similar mindset.

I'm happy to tend the flag my preference would be not to but I certainly won't refuse a request or fall out with anyone over it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Our club sent out a brief note on New Years Eve, with a few R&A links (of the internet kind!) and 2 statements to say that yellow stakes all replaced with red, and then listing the penalty areas on the course...

And confirming that the Club is not implementing the new "alternative to stroke and distance" ruling. It then says, "members can se this rule amongst themselves!" (I took that to mean NOT in comps.... but I bet some don't take it like that! :)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems some are expecting to save lots of time with the new flag rule.....I think you're going to be disappointed.
There's plenty of time to be saved in other areas of the game.
If the flag rule saves you 5 minutes a round I'll be staggered.

Just shows how pathetic we've all become. It saves at least a minute per green. No debate about who is further away, nobody having to "tend" the flag while the other player(s) putt then having to walk back to your ball, line it up, take your practice strokes/go through your routine then putt.

Coupled with only 3 minutes to look for a ball I'm looking forward to 4 hour rounds becoming 3.5. only ignorant idiots who ignore the new rules/ready golf/ etc will continue to keep the pace as it is.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just shows how pathetic we've all become. It saves at least a minute per green. No debate about who is further away, nobody having to "tend" the flag while the other player(s) putt then having to walk back to your ball, line it up, take your practice strokes/go through your routine then putt.

Coupled with only 3 minutes to look for a ball I'm looking forward to 4 hour rounds becoming 3.5. only ignorant idiots who ignore the new rules/ready golf/ etc will continue to keep the pace as it is.

Unfortunately there are enough ignorant idiots who ignore the 'old rules' meaning those golfers who want to get round the course in a reasonable time are going to be sorely disappointed IMO.

Too manu people on the course who are either unaware of others, no idea of etiquette, or I will will take as long as I want and sod the rest of the course behind me.

Probably be okay during quiet periods on the course but forget it at weekends and during comps.

I would like the tours to start having a zero policy for slow play, hand out shot or two shot penalites left right and centre to speed up the game and watch it impact positively into the amateur game.

unlikely to happen however.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortunately there are enough ignorant idiots who ignore the 'old rules' meaning those golfers who want to get round the course in a reasonable time are going to be sorely disappointed IMO.

Too manu people on the course who are either unaware of others, no idea of etiquette, or I will will take as long as I want and sod the rest of the course behind me.

Probably be okay during quiet periods on the course but forget it at weekends and during comps.

I would like the tours to start having a zero policy for slow play, hand out shot or two shot penalites left right and centre to speed up the game and watch it impact positively into the amateur game.

unlikely to happen however.

Exactly but even if those "ignorant" ones adopted ready play, putt to the flag without the undue delay of the "tending" process then the game has to get quicker as a result.

I do agree though that initially there will be very little change but I'm hopeful that Tiger etc will change attitudes over time by putting to the flag.

Even the simple fact of less footfall round the flag should be a benefit to the field and the green keeper. A 15 Stone person standing on a damp green for 30/40 seconds minimum on the same spot is going to leave an indentation and stress on the grass. Then someone has to putt over it.

D

Deleted member 3432

Exactly but even if those "ignorant" ones adopted ready play, putt to the flag without the undue delay of the "tending" process then the game has to get quicker as a result.

I do agree though that initially there will be very little change but I'm hopeful that Tiger etc will change attitudes over time by putting to the flag.

Even the simple fact of less footfall round the flag should be a benefit to the field and the green keeper. A 15 Stone person standing on a damp green for 30/40 seconds minimum on the same spot is going to leave an indentation and stress on the grass. Then someone has to putt over it.

I think your last point is the one with most benefit.

Quick players will still be quick, slow players still won't be ready to play whatever we do and they are the ones who dictate the speed of play for the rest of the course.

We had a group up from some college down Lancashire way the other week. The seniors out playing their midweek comp behind them all walked in as they were on for a 5.5 hour round. This was despite the pro going out 3 times on a buggy to give them a kick up the backside.

I don't think the new rules would have helped in this case....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think your last point is the one with most benefit.

Quick players will still be quick, slow players still won't be ready to play whatever we do and they are the ones who dictate the speed of play for the rest of the course.

We had a group up from some college down Lancashire way the other week. The seniors out playing their midweek comp behind them all walked in as they were on for a 5.5 hour round. This was despite the pro going out 3 times on a buggy to give them a kick up the backside.

I don't think the new rules would have helped in this case....

The new breed of golfing superstar. Teach them to play slowly and be inconsiderate.

Yip seen them on the course myself. Top of the range trolley, tour bag and blades.

D

Deleted member 3432

The new breed of golfing superstar. Teach them to play slowly and be inconsiderate.

Yip seen them on the course myself. Top of the range trolley, tour bag and blades.

No idea how we are going to manage to speed them up.

All these youtube coaches don't help stressing the need for a consistant pre shot routine.

What I can never understand is how slow people walk to their balls. Every week I play in the comp I'm usually the longest off the tee yet I am always ready to play before the others have even pulled a club.

I'm not in a rush to get round either just wanting to play at a reasonable speed. I think speeding up would benefit most golfers since concentrating for such a long time is beyond most amateurs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

My FiL plays at a 9 hole links course. It drains brilliantly and the greenkeeper has the greens in a superb state so last year the county started using it for their elite practice sessions on a Saturday through the winter. They have just started again and he sees them going out as he comes in. 'Wonderful to see the ball striking but unbearable to them inbetween' ' On the greens they are unbearable'. I agree, slow play is being ingrained into them and it starts at the very top and it seeps down.

D

Deleted member 21258

Assuming you are talking about 4 ball golf, do you really ever seeing 18 holes dropping to 3.5 hours on a normal course at a normal time of day. Would love to think it could myself but just don't see it.

As example by mum could not even play as a 4 ball within 3.5 hour, as she can not walk fast enough in between shots to do it within 3.5 hours (age catches up with everyone sooner or later). Also as another example not played many times in comps or golf days when 4 hours is the normal tbh, I would be happy if all rounds were 4 hours.

D

Deleted member 15344

Craw I think you will get a shock if you expect the times for the round to come down that much

First things - ready golf - why are people talking as if this is a new thing , it’s been around for year and people have been playing it for a while now , I expect most clubs like we did accepted it as the preferred method of play a few years

Flag in or out or tended - as I have said we as a club have been having flag in or out other the winter from 1st October for about 10 years - made no difference to the time taken on each green none at all and that’s even when people aren’t allowed to tended ( non Q comps only )

The only smallest differences will be the search time and even then its not going to be a big difference overall - I still expect our social rounds at around 4 hours for 4ball and Comp around 4 hours for 3 ball

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Craw I think you will get a shock if you expect the times for the round to come down that much

First things - ready golf - why are people talking as if this is a new thing , it’s been around for year and people have been playing it for a while now , I expect most clubs like we did accepted it as the preferred method of play a few years

Flag in or out or tended - as I have said we as a club have been having flag in or out other the winter from 1st October for about 10 years - made no difference to the time taken on each green none at all and that’s even when people aren’t allowed to tended ( non Q comps only )

The only smallest differences will be the search time and even then its not going to be a big difference overall - I still expect our social rounds at around 4 hours for 4ball and Comp around 4 hours for 3 ball

Very few people I know play ready golf in medal conditions. Some still like the honour in the tee etc. Only ready golf I've experienced myself in medal competitions is when someone elects to lay up as they can't get to the green.

Your quite clearly not playing the flag in rule to it's full potential as all evidence points to being quicker with it being left in. Ready to putt go.

I shall attempt (probably won't manage to though 😂😂😂) to take a back seat on this topic now.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Unless someone comes up with something revolutionary I don't think I can add anything else or offer an alternative opinion/view that I haven't already aired.

👍⛳

D

Deleted member 15344

Very few people I know play ready golf in medal conditions. Some still like the honour in the tee etc. Only ready golf I've experienced myself in medal competitions is when someone elects to lay up as they can't get to the green.

Your quite clearly not playing the flag in rule to it's full potential as all evidence points to being quicker with it being left in. Ready to putt go.

I shall attempt (probably won't manage to though 😂😂😂) to take a back seat on this topic now.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Unless someone comes up with something revolutionary I don't think I can add anything else or offer an alternative opinion/view that I haven't already aired.

👍⛳
Craw we have been playing the flag in for over a decade - it’s added nothing , that’s ten years worth of evidence

And ready golf has been around for years it was always as an advisory- the wheel isn’t being reinvented here with things that are suddenly new.

I have no problems with playing at a nice pace but I’m not interested in speed golf to get round as quick as possible , and there tens of thousands of golfers that can’t rush around a golf course and will still take their time. Things aren’t going to change to any drastic levels

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed it is my opinion and also agree neither is wrong.

Not trying be pedantic but if he was marking your card in a comp would that mean you're then going to NR and not finish the round. I'm only asking as I think it's going to be intriguing how it pans out over the year ahead with a whole change in attitudes towards it, that's not to single you out as merely replying to your comment as I think there'll be many with a similar mindset.

I'm happy to tend the flag my preference would be not to but I certainly won't refuse a request or fall out with anyone over it.
Me to I go to enjoy my golf .
It would depend on the circumstances as I can’t see three pps all refusing to tend a reasonable request.
But in a matchplay singles he would be standing on his own.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Me to I go to enjoy my golf .
It would depend on the circumstances as I can’t see three pps all refusing to tend a reasonable request.
But in a matchplay singles he would be standing on his own.

Easy passage to the next round then.

Result.

😂😂😂⛳

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The only smallest differences will be the search time and even then its not going to be a big difference overall - I still our social rounds at around 4 hours for 4ball and Comp around 4 hours for 3 ball

We play ready golf in social play .
The one big thing I noticed is that one player was always ready to play so we let him but when it came to the par 3s he hung back so he could see the flight of the other players shots/ clubs / landing of the all etc.
I noticed right away what he was doing.
So made him take his honour on par 3s . His face was quite a picture.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played 9 holes today and not once did I have the flag taken out for any length of putt, i reckon alignment and pace is easier to judge with the flag in rather than just seeing the shape of the top of the hole from yards away