New Rules - what are you for and against?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely tending the flag was originally to avoid a penalty if you hit the pin with your putt ? Now no penalty can’t see the point unless in exceptional circumstances. Such as the flag being blown against the side of the hole.

In normal circumstances if someone asked me to attended when they are say 40 plus feet away, I would think they are taking the proverbial.Just because you can ask why would you ? I have no problem taking the flag awayfor someone before they putt, but faffing around attending the pin while someone tries to lag a putt close.:whistle:

Imagine playing at St Andrews and someone 50 yards away on the green asked you to attend. I would tell them to get stuffed, or words to the equivalent. :eek:I know who I think has got a case of bad etiquette.

Try using the new rules as they are intended to be played and everyone might be pleasantly surprised how simple the game is, and how much quicker you can play.(y)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely tending the flag was originally to avoid a penalty if you hit the pin with your putt ? Now no penalty can’t see the point unless in exceptional circumstances. Such as the flag being blown against the side of the hole.

In normal circumstances if someone asked me to attended when they are say 40 plus feet away, I would think they are taking the proverbial.Just because you can ask why would you ? I have no problem taking the flag awayfor someone before they putt, but faffing around attending the pin while someone tries to lag a putt close.:whistle:

Imagine playing at St Andrews and someone 50 yards away on the green asked you to attend. I would tell them to get stuffed, or words to the equivalent. :eek:I know who I think has got a case of bad etiquette.

Try using the new rules as they are intended to be played and everyone might be pleasantly surprised how simple the game is, and how much quicker you can play.(y)

Careful. we're going round in circles.

Wolf

Visit site
This is a example but at the end of the day it’s up to him!
It dosnt matter if others think it’s a waste of time. It’s his choice and only his.
I know its an example and is up to him, I've never once said it's a waste of time either, nor have I said I wouldn't tend it if requested to of course I would as it courteous to those that chose it, my point with your example was that it doesn't make sense to me based on his left side (blind side for want of a better term) would be hole side anyway so by tending the flag its not gaining anything to aid him seeing it in his peripheral vision.

Not arguing he should or shouldn't have it tended I just didn't see how this one made sense for the argument of doing so. If I were playing with him or anyone that wants it tended I'd do it. However my preference will be to play with it left in as I don't see the point of having it tended when your lagging up to the hole.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I genuinely think that by the end of the year the flag will be staying in the hole all day every day for everyone.
Except when the greenkeepers are cutting the grass.

D

Deleted member 15344

I genuinely think that by the end of the year the flag will be staying in the hole all day every day for everyone.

Not what we see during the winter when we have been doing it - most have the flag out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I agree. I think golfers will start off with the flag in but once they hit it and the putt stays out they'll revert back to flag out. I think once golfers see a few staying out they'll have it out as well. We are creatures of habit

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure I agree. I think golfers will start off with the flag in but once they hit it and the putt stays out they'll revert back to flag out. I think once golfers see a few staying out they'll have it out as well. We are creatures of habit
Long putts flag in 100% not tended . I'll probably have it out for ones I have a good chance of holing as previous experience of putting with the flag in has shown some will stay out with the pin in.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just catching up with this thread,
16 pages of discussion over whether or not we should leave the flag in and who should tend it.
Come on guys, I know we are all golf fanatics but isn’t this taking it too far?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Played today for the first time under the new rules and all I can say is that putting from less than about 10 feet with the flag in just feels really weird. So for the time being the flag is coming out. Maybe after a while things will change.

Oh - and the couple of times I had to take a drop, found myself absent-mindedly dropping from shoulder height. I wonder how long that's going to last?

Visit site
If a player wants the flag tended then it’s not up to you to decide if it has no purpose , it’s not your choice , the rules allow someone the choice of all three options and as fellow golfers I would expect other golfers to respect any one of the choices regardless of your own personal feeling

It’s called etiquette and it’s a fabric of our game - if a player believes he requires the flag to be tended as is his right then the only course of action it to carry out his wishes - anything other will be poor etiquette.

Not often we agree on issues but I'm with you on this. Just shows poor etiquette to tell a fellow player to bog off with his request , next he'll be saying bunkers are hazards why fart around raking them and just get on with it, so I can play in 2hrs 30min...... how far do you take it?

Visit site
Going round in circles here guys.

The forum consensus seems to support the notion that it is the choice of each player whether to leave the flag in, out or attended.

If a player asks for an attend and you refuse, whilst not in the rules, it would be a major breach of etiquette, possibly reportable in a match.

Why don’t you try it and then tell us how you got on?

I think it's the attitude of showing a lack of respect to a fellow players (whether he's Cat 1 (being elitist) Cat 2, 3 or 4) request that's in question?

I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread Mr Fragger.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know its an example and is up to him, I've never once said it's a waste of time either, nor have I said I wouldn't tend it if requested to of course I would as it courteous to those that chose it, my point with your example was that it doesn't make sense to me based on his left side (blind side for want of a better term) would be hole side anyway so by tending the flag its not gaining anything to aid him seeing it in his peripheral vision.

Not arguing he should or shouldn't have it tended I just didn't see how this one made sense for the argument of doing so. If I were playing with him or anyone that wants it tended I'd do it. However my preference will be to play with it left in as I don't see the point of having it tended when your lagging up to the hole.
I did say “if others” wasn’t accusing you.
It’s a confidence thing with him it’s easier to see the flag in the green.
If he was 50yds away he wouldn’t ask .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just catching up with this thread,
16 pages of discussion over whether or not we should leave the flag in and who should tend it.
Come on guys, I know we are all golf fanatics but isn’t this taking it too far?

Obviously not as we still disagree.
That’s golf.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We used to and still can get round 18 holes in 3 - 3 1/2 hours while tending the flag when requested and playing in order.
So, putting with the flag in and ready golf isn't the answer to all of golfs' problems.

In my opinion, any time that may be saved by not having the flag tended would be lost waiting for the player to tap down every blemish on the green.
And playing in order, especially in match play, can be a great tactical advantage.

Stopping people from having a 5 minute pre-shot routine on every shot would be a better solution to the 5 hour round. In my opinion.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In this thread I saw that I would never want to play a round of golf with you. You are either trolling the thread or just an inconsiderate person in general it seems.

Oh no, I'd better change my attitude/point of view as I've offended someone on the internet. Won't change my stance though, absolutely no requirement to tend a flag ever again.

Can you see the flag?

Therefore putt to it. Pretty simple

"Excuse me I'm 45 feet away can you tend that flag as I can't see the hole with the flag out please?"

"Can you see the flag ok?

"Yes"

"Well putt to the flag as the hole isn't going to move anywhere, the distance isn't going to change nor is the line."

Meanwhile once my PP is putting to the flag I've repaired my pitch mark and lined up my putt ready to play. Simply because people have farted about with flags for X amount of years doesn't mean we have to keep doing it, especially when the reason for doing it has been removed.

I think I've now made my stance crystal clear as have others however the "anti craw" group only like to to be offended by me.

Wolf

Visit site
I did say “if others” wasn’t accusing you.
It’s a confidence thing with him it’s easier to see the flag in the green.
If he was 50yds away he wouldn’t ask .
Totally get its a confidence thing and why he had it tended in the past, but now he can leave the flag in surely that's more beneficial and would require no need for it to be tended.

In this thread I saw that I would never want to play a round of golf with you. You are either trolling the thread or just an inconsiderate person in general it seems.

Perhaps in some earlier posts in the thread Jacko could have worded it better or less bluntly to stop people assuming the trolling or inconsiderate nature of his point, I often don't agree with what he posts but in this case I am actually with him on this, the fact he hasn't backed down doesn't make him a troll or inconsiderate in this case it merely means he believes in his stance and why should he change it just because others wish to stick to doing something that really is no longer required and actually now have a better option.

Oh no, I'd better change my attitude/point of view as I've offended someone on the internet. Won't change my stance though, absolutely no requirement to tend a flag ever again.

Can you see the flag?

Therefore putt to it. Pretty simple

"Excuse me I'm 45 feet away can you tend that flag as I can't see the hole with the flag out please?"

"Can you see the flag ok?

"Yes"

"Well putt to the flag as the hole isn't going to move anywhere, the distance isn't going to change nor is the line."

Meanwhile once my PP is putting to the flag I've repaired my pitch mark and lined up my putt ready to play. Simply because people have farted about with flags for X amount of years doesn't mean we have to keep doing it, especially when the reason for doing it has been removed.

I think I've now made my stance crystal clear as have others however the "anti craw" group only like to to be offended by me.

That bit right there in bold is why I agree with this standpoint, instead of walking all the way up the green to tend the flag thus delaying getting ready for your own shot and doing the necessary housekeeping around the green is what will help keep things moving.

And for those that mentioned playing in turn in matchplay is required to gain strategical advantage, the R&A ruling on ready golf agrees with you and states ready golf is not appropriate for matchplay, so nothing changes there, the excert below lifted directly from their website.

“Ready golf” is not appropriate in match play due to the strategy involved between opponents and the need to have a set method for determining which player plays first.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And for those that mentioned playing in turn in matchplay is required to gain strategical advantage, the R&A ruling on ready golf agrees with you and states ready golf is not appropriate for matchplay, so nothing changes there, the excert below lifted directly from their website.

I know but there will still be people who will try it on.