New Rules - what are you for and against?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
As a club that has been playing with the flags in or out over winter I have seen many times a ball hit the flag and bounce away when I have no doubt it would have dropped into the hole had the flag been out so on the odd occasion I am a fair distance from the hole I will ask for it to be tended as I’m entitled to in the rules. If someone refuses then i would believe they have a lack of etiquette.

I have also noticed the whole out or in has added nothing to the pace of play and in fact at times increased the pace with people wanting various things out or in etc

Tending the flag is not really a hardship at the end of the day
You are correct, just seems pointless now, as the reason to do it was so you dont get a penalty on the off chance you hit the pin.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As a club that has been playing with the flags in or out over winter I have seen many times a ball hit the flag and bounce away when I have no doubt it would have dropped into the hole had the flag been out so on the odd occasion I am a fair distance from the hole I will ask for it to be tended as I’m entitled to in the rules. If someone refuses then i would believe they have a lack of etiquette.

I have also noticed the whole out or in has added nothing to the pace of play and in fact at times increased the pace with people wanting various things out or in etc

Tending the flag is not really a hardship at the end of the day
We have played ready golf with pin in last few rounds, and for us it is quicker Phil. Problem is those not play it in front holding up those trying to play quicker.

Personally think putt hitting pin and bouncing off would probably be hit too hard to full in anyway. Would be interesting if tests were done to prove one way or another. Think they have done figures for chipping around the green, and more fall in with flag in.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We have played ready golf with pin in last few rounds, and for us it is quicker Phil. Problem is those not play it in front holding up those trying to play quicker.

Personally think putt hitting pin and bouncing off would probably be hit too hard to full in anyway. Would be interesting if tests were done to prove one way or another. Think they have done figures for chipping around the green, and more fall in with flag in.

I agree we have been a good bit quicker on and around the greens playing it.

Probably takes about 20 minutes off per round when all players are "switched on" and ready to play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They certainly finish closer to the hole if they hit the flagstick.

Wolf

Visit site
So today we played with new rules, ready golf, flagstick in (nobody once asked for it to be attended), dropping a ball that went OOB instead of 3 off the tee etc.. The round took 5hours, the reason being the group in front a 3 ball refusing to acknowledge us allow us through despite us asking or acknowledge the rule changes.

Not once did they play ready golf they would literally all wait to take their turn furthest away from the hole etc, nearly every put was attended in one case everyone in the group attended the flag whilst we stood in the fairway watching and waiting, on the 18th Tee we stood watching them search for a ball my PP timed them at 8mins it was so bad we ended up with the group behind us on the tee waiting with us..

After the round we were approached by 2 of them telling us we have clearly no idea of golfing etiquette playing out of turn, putting with the flag in and trying to force them along.. Did my best not to explode and politely pointed out we played to the new rules that take effect xt today and how long they searched for a ball, only to be told by them we pay a lot of money for our balls we will search as long as it takes and the new rules are stupid and not befitting the game so they chose to ignore them.. I walked off to get some fresh air whilst my PP had further words..

Overall new rules great helped us out today and easier to understand sad thing is other golfers have to be willing to accept change.. Fortunately the club are have posted all new rules up but people need to adhere to them

Wolf

Visit site
They sound like a right happy bunch, they needed reporting.
It's just been done before we left to go our seperate ways. Always hated the thought of having to report people and never done it before but we had to after today..

Still I liked the new rules and will try them again tomorrow

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had to drop a couple of times today - the knee height thing feels weird and not a little awkward, although the end result is more control over where it ends up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read this thread. Despite the reason for having the flag tended no longer there. Some are still insisting they will have Some one waste time doing it.
It’s not a waste of time!
My mate only has one eye his right , he is right handed so his peripheral vision is not good .
He needs the flag attending on most putts except shortish ones.
But he is not happy that he needs to explain to people that don’t know him when they question him over it.
It’s up to the player putting to choose how he wants the flag no matter what anyone else thinks.
If any player wants the flag attended then that’s what I will do.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s not a waste of time!
My mate only has one eye his right , he is right handed so his peripheral vision is not good .
He needs the flag attending on most putts except shortish ones.
But he is not happy that he needs to explain to people that don’t know him when they question him over it.
It’s up to the player putting to choose how he wants the flag no matter what anyone else thinks.
If any player wants the flag attended then that’s what I will do.

Look at the hole when putting and leave the flag in.

👍

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Why should he .?
Why should anyone change their habits just because they have been given another choice?
That’s all the rule change is “another choice”
One extreme example doesn't invalidate my point. In the main making someone walk 90feet up the green to tend the flag when it's not needed is a waste of time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why should he .?
Why should anyone change their habits just because they have been given another choice?
That’s all the rule change is “another choice”

Putting is about feel not sight plus if his eyes are over the ball why does he need the flag tended?