New Rules - what are you for and against?

D

Deleted member 15344

No.

Happy to remove it if anyone would wish it removed. That is in the spirit of the game.
Would tending the flag not be within the spirit of the game then ? Helping out a fellow player ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don’t think it’s anything to do with you personally or having a dinosaur attitude, if I’m on the golf course for 2-4hrs with someone and they ask me to attend the flag for them I’d do it out of common courtesy.
I’m sure you/we can come up with scenarios about reading your line or getting ready to play etc, but there’s also the scenario were I maybe close to the hole and on their line, so attending the flag for them wouldn’t be an issue.

TBH Pau, I think he’s on one of his fishing trips again. Looks like he’s caught a few:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 16999

TBH Pau, I think he’s on one of his fishing trips again. Looks like he’s caught a few:ROFLMAO:
Played yesterday and had quite a good discussion on this in our 4Ball, my opinion was actually quite close to his tbh, the reason I took the stance was because one of the 4Ball is a Cat 1 in his 30’s (No Dinasour ;)) who insisted that on long putts he would want the flag attended as that’s how he prefers it.
He’s worried about the ball being deflected and was not willing to risk the ball deflecting away etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

You can
Played yesterday and had quite a good discussion on this in our 4Ball, my opinion was actually quite close to his tbh, the reason I took the stance was because one of the 4Ball is a Cat 1 in his 30’s (No Dinasour ;)) who insisted that on long putts he would want the flag attended as that’s how he prefers it.
He’s worried about the ball being deflected and was not willing to risk the ball deflecting away etc.

Cat 1 or not he/she (can't be sexist) will 999/1000 not even hit the hole from 30 feet never mind the flag stick so tell him/her to like it or leave it. Ridiculous to want to waste everyone's time tending a flag from distance.

D

Deleted member 16999

You can

Cat 1 or not he/she (can't be sexist) will 999/1000 not even hit the hole from 30 feet never mind the flag stick so tell him/her to like it or leave it. Ridiculous to want to waste everyone's time tending a flag from distance.
I’ll attend the flag if people want it attended. I’m not that bothered as any changes take differing times to settle in with people.
What I did say to him (playing devil’s advocate) was, if that’s the way he wants to be the other people playing along side should putt out first and make him wait to save time going backwards and forwards.;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We shall agree to disagree, as it'll end up going round and circles, I'll then be accused of spamming or trolling or whatever and the thread will run and run or be locked.

Have a fantastic New Year.

I certainly wouldn't say that on this matter but happy to agree to disagree

Happy New year to you too

Visit site
I find it ridiculous that someone would refuse to tend the pin for a player who so wishes for it to happen. The game is played with not only your own integrity but integrity towards others and if a player is that obstinate to refuse to tend (because the rules have said their will be no penalty if your ball hits the pin whilst on the green, doesn’t mean that the pin must remain in the hole) is inconsiderate to a fellow players wish is just sheer arrogance in my eyes.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's almost as ridiculous that someone would be so obstinate to expect someone else to tend the flag just because they want it tended when in reality they won't get their ball within 3 feet.

Let's move with the times and stop being inconsiderate to my wishes not to bother tending the pin. Arrogance in my eyes to expect me to respect someone else's wishes and they won't respect mine.

⛳

Visit site
Tending the flag has been part of the game for many a year and still will be so I don’t see why that is ridiculous. But someone whose admitted who will point blank refuse to tend a flag for a fellow player is not part of the game or the etiquette of the game.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Tending the flag has been part of the game for many a year and still will be so I don’t see why that is ridiculous. But someone whose admitted who will point blank refuse to tend a flag for a fellow player is not part of the game or the etiquette of the game.
It is part of the game and I think if someone asks to have the flag attended i'll do it, but will point out its not needed any more as you can now putt with the flag in. i for one wont be asking for it to be attended anymore, its seems pretty pointless, but like a lot a lot of things in golf some will stick to thier guns no matter how flawed their argument is.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely the new rules are to make the game simpler and quicker.

Having an extra option of leaving the flag makes the game more complicated. Perhaps it was introduced to make the game faster, and assumed that golfers wouldn’t think they needed the pin attended from long distance. Personally I can’t remember the last time I holed a putt with the flag attended. I therefore wouldn’t trouble a playing partner with attending the flag.

If someone wants the pin attended get a caddie as you obviously take the game very seriously.(y)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What about in a match play game one player wants the flag attended maybe because his eyesight is not 100% / superstition or any other reason.
But his OP refuses .
There’s a stalemate if nobody budges.
The player has the right to have it attended if that is what HE wants.

Just for the rule gurus if nobody relents what happens?
Could the committee be asked to rule on this if said match was abandoned because nobody would relent?

My guess is there would be no rules breach. You are entitled to have the flag attended, but I’d be surprised if the rules stipulate your opponent is legally obliged to be the attendant.

I would hope that a club would look upon a refusal of any reasonable request quite dimly.

D

Deleted member 15344

The penalty for hitting it has been removed, making flag tending pointless.

As a club that has been playing with the flags in or out over winter I have seen many times a ball hit the flag and bounce away when I have no doubt it would have dropped into the hole had the flag been out so on the odd occasion I am a fair distance from the hole I will ask for it to be tended as I’m entitled to in the rules. If someone refuses then i would believe they have a lack of etiquette.

I have also noticed the whole out or in has added nothing to the pace of play and in fact at times increased the pace with people wanting various things out or in etc

Tending the flag is not really a hardship at the end of the day

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why you would want the pin attended. Pretty sure the ball has more chance of falling in from long range with pin in, but perhaps I have missed something.:unsure:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely the new rules are to make the game simpler and quicker.

Having an extra option of leaving the flag makes the game more complicated. Perhaps it was introduced to make the game faster, and assumed that golfers wouldn’t think they needed the pin attended from long distance. Personally I can’t remember the last time I holed a putt with the flag attended. I therefore wouldn’t trouble a playing partner with attending the flag.

If someone wants the pin attended get a caddie as you obviously take the game very seriously.(y)

I’d wait and see. If everyone is happy at least making longer putts with the flag in, then it should speed things up noticeably.

Really allow ‘ready Golf’ to work. As how often is someone on the green and a PP in a bunker. Bunkered player splashes out but is still furthest away or just off the green. Everyone has to wait for him to rake the bunker, clean his club or select a new club etc etc.

There’s def a culture thing regarding ready golf and people still look across the fairway to check if they are furthest before playing. Baby steps.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tending the flag is not really a hardship at the end of the day

But it does increase footfall around the hole, ok at a distance of a metre or two but it's still extra feet in the area.
The only time I can see a reason to have the flag tended is when there's a stiff breeze bending the flagstick towards you.
Hit it then and you've got virtually no chance of holing.
Tending in that scenario could increase your chances.