Who is still moaning?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the comments from our green keeper is that he was getting complaints about the liner not being low enough. Not his fault. He pointed out that every person pulling the flagstick out with the ball still in the hole causes the liner to rise up fractionally so if lots of players do it eventually it is not low enough.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
As observed by @LP - I might suggest that it is for me to decide whether or not there is a requirement and to then ask politely - and it is for my opponent to respect my wishes.

Surely it's as you've stated elsewhere? Refusing to tend the flag for an opponent is just using the rules to your advantage as there is no requirement for your opponent in a match to tend the flag for you if asked.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I prefer it out for the 18" to 3ft range. Putts of that length I tend to hit hard. Had a few ricochet off the stick when the rule first came in. And as I would be relatively close I'd probably take it out myself unless asked.

If someone was ignorant about it I'm sure they'd be happy to look for their ball in the rough by themselves.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Doesnt work too well, some want it out all or most of the time others want it in all or most of the time and when in the same group it adds time.

Like the new dropping rule where it easy to get redrops from, poorly thought out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what we have seen it hasn’t made much difference- some still have the flag tended , some have it in and some have it out , hasn’t changed the pace of play etc

It was expected though as it was something we did over winter anyway.

But the main issue is - it’s damaging the holes because people are using the flag to remove the ball from the hole , I know a few greenkeepers wish they could ban the rule
Our greenkeeper is one of them.
I agree it hasn’t made much difference.
I have it out but will wait until others have putted.

I think the only way to stop people dragging the ball out with the flag is a penalty.
But once you have holed out it would need to be on the next hole.
What’s the offence” deliberate vandalism “ ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it's as you've stated elsewhere? Refusing to tend the flag for an opponent is just using the rules to your advantage as there is no requirement for your opponent in a match to tend the flag for you if asked.
There is no requirement to watch his ball in the sun!
Search for his lost ball in the rough!
Be quiet when he’s playing his shot!
They are all etiquette, but golf would be poor if we all said no to these things!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do like it out on short putts, I find the flag off putting when you are close to it, so I tend to remove it when close, only occasionally does someone ask me to put it back in.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Most of the guys I play with leave it in for all putts. If someone wants it out or tended, fine by me

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no requirement to watch his ball in the sun!
Search for his lost ball in the rough!
Be quiet when he’s playing his shot!
They are all etiquette, but golf would be poor if we all said no to these things!

The difference between all the scenarios above and the tend or not tend question is there is no consequence to your opponent if you refuse i.e. he doesn't lose his ball or you don't put him off on his back swing etc.

So especially in a matchplay situation, it falls on the gamesmanship side of the fence IMO and as SINLH has mentioned in the past, he's partial to a bit of gamesmanship in a match play situation.

D

Deleted member 15344

BUT, BUT... shirt.. Tie... Cufflinks... DRESS CODE!!!

Ooh, the irony 🤣😉

Relevance ?

One is a rule that allows something

One is a dress code that members are asked to follow

Can you understand the difference

D

Deleted member 15344

And if someone did that it would say more about the opponent than anything else

But I would still carry on as I would normally , would take the flag when putting as I normally do and he can then sort himself out.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Relevance ?

One is a rule that allows something

One is a dress code that members are asked to follow

Can you understand the difference
Oh Phil, you just had to bite didn't you!?? 🤣🤣

It's light hearted ribbing Phil, you don't have to rise to everything, you'll only give people more ammo.