New Rules - what are you for and against?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The simplest solution is to remove the option to have the flag tended. The reason it was an option was to avoid the penalty of the ball hitting the pin on long putts when you can't see the hole clearly. As there is no longer a penalty in this scenario then there is no reason to have the pin tended any more.

You will at some stage play with someone who wants the pin tended for 2 reasons
1. He can't see the hole clearly.
2. He believes the flag could stop the ball from dropping

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not read the whole debate but, for me, when I'm close enough that I can see the whole hole clearly then it looks like a bigger target without a flagpole in the middle of it. I thought Dave Peltz or someone established one way or the other regarding the odds of the flag pole helping/hindering?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Does the flag have to be a uniform thickness ? Hoping we might be allowed 4.25 inch flags so even more chance of ball dropping.:whistle:

Hold on I am only one step away from asking for bigger holes.:eek:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You make the assumption that the only possible disadvantage to hitting the pin is a penalty. That is a huge assumption and, as already posted, one that is currently being tested by a huge number of professionals and coaches ahead of this weekend's tournaments - the only thing you can be absolutely sure about is that if there is any possible overall benefit in having the pin remain in the hole when putting it will never be coming out again on TV!

I'm not making any assumptions at all, I was talking about the rules as they were vs the rules as they are now.

With the 2 shot penalty for hitting the pin it was an absolute necessity to have the flag tended rule as it would be wholly unreasonable for the rules of golf to requite the player to putt from long distance without being able to see the hole.

The rules have now removed the 2 shot penalty for hitting the pin and therefore IMO there is no requirement to have a pin tended option included within the rules.

The advantahe/disadvantage argument is entirely different and separate argument but does not IMO alter the fact that there is no longer a requirement for the rules of golf to include a pin tended option.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You will at some stage play with someone who wants the pin tended for 2 reasons
1. He can't see the hole clearly.
2. He believes the flag could stop the ball from dropping
Surely it makes no difference if flag tended or left in for point 1 ? Not as if you can hold the flag up above the hole, or can you ?
Take your point 2, but that is a very confident putter that thinks he is going to hole from such long distance. I wouldn't have the nerve to ask for the pin to be tended from long range, when at best I will probably lag putt to a few feet.:)

I do remember Seve having the pin tended from 15 feet by his caddie. He would lean the flag as well, so assume Seve was aiming at a point on the flag. Always looked strange but difficult to argue with Seve's putting.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not making any assumptions at all, I was talking about the rules as they were vs the rules as they are now.

With the 2 shot penalty for hitting the pin it was an absolute necessity to have the flag tended rule as it would be wholly unreasonable for the rules of golf to requite the player to putt from long distance without being able to see the hole.

The rules have now removed the 2 shot penalty for hitting the pin and therefore IMO there is no requirement to have a pin tended option included within the rules.

The advantahe/disadvantage argument is entirely different and separate argument but does not IMO alter the fact that there is no longer a requirement for the rules of golf to include a pin tended option.

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

You might as well say that the fact that the rules no longer have a penalty for a ball played from the putting green striking the flagstick has no relevance to whether you would wish it in, or out, when making your stroke. Your decision on whether to have it out, or tended, will be based solely on your view (or otherwise) of the hole when making your stroke.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

You might as well say that the fact that the rules no longer have a penalty for a ball played from the putting green striking the flagstick has no relevance to whether you would wish it in, or out, when making your stroke. Your decision on whether to have it out, or tended, will be based solely on your view (or otherwise) of the hole when making your stroke.

And that ^^^^ also.makes no sense.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not sure what doesn't make sense, I can't explain it any more clearly.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You don't believe that having the flagstick in or out based on whether it increases your probability of holing the putt makes sense?

No.

It will still depend on speed and direction. No scientific formula will determine that a ball will drop or it won't. Even the spin will determine/be a factor in if it's going to drop or not.

Always an element of luck involved.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is puzzling me (if that is the word) is the assumption on the part of some people, that tending the flag is "faffing about"? It takes exactly the same length of time to stand near a flag lying on the green as it does to stand next to it in attendance? (ie the length of time it takes someone to putt.) Whether attending is necessary or not has no bearing on me having to wait while a putt is made?

Homer

Visit site
What is puzzling me (if that is the word) is the assumption on the part of some people, that tending the flag is "faffing about"? It takes exactly the same length of time to stand near a flag lying on the green as it does to stand next to it in attendance? (ie the length of time it takes someone to putt.) Whether attending is necessary or not has no bearing on me having to wait while a putt is made?

You can be doing something else - ie getting ready to take your putt next.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can be doing something else - ie getting ready to take your putt next.

And if my ball is already in the hole, or more likely, already in my pocket?

Or if someone else is going to putt before me?

Yes we play ready golf, but we all can't/don't putt at the same time. So we wait.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
The simplest solution is to remove the option to have the flag tended. The reason it was an option was to avoid the penalty of the ball hitting the pin on long putts when you can't see the hole clearly. As there is no longer a penalty in this scenario then there is no reason to have the pin tended any more.

Wasn’t a post very similar to that written about 200 posts ago? 😏

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I learned to play golf I was taught the person whose ball was nearest the hole tended the flag if needed or removed it and the first to hole out fetched and replaced the flag in the hole when the last person holed out.

No faffing required
We have never had a problem doing this exact thing.
The only time saved would be the first putt from distance before the others are on the green to get the flag.

I spend more time kicking the grass on the tee waiting for the games in front.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played new rules this morning, mostly flag in but occasionally flag out.
Time saved.....?
Er..none.
Took us virtually the same amount of time as usual.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played for the first time with new rules.

Flag in was a delight, really does speed it up a bit. Not having someone treading around the hole tending the flags, when the greens are soft, is a big plus I think.