Who is still moaning?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv not really noticed any change other than people asking in or out on every green, for me to keep repeating I'm ok either way doesn't bother me, I do that pull the flag out with the ball iv never damaged the hole right enough but I'll stop that

User20204

Visit site
I recall my ball getting deflected out on a downhiller when it was going straight in the middle, now unlike most I have it out on downhillers, uphill makes no odds.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The difference between all the scenarios above and the tend or not tend question is there is no consequence to your opponent if you refuse i.e. he doesn't lose his ball or you don't put him off on his back swing etc.

So especially in a matchplay situation, it falls on the gamesmanship side of the fence IMO and as SINLH has mentioned in the past, he's partial to a bit of gamesmanship in a match play situation.
Fair enough but if he refused he would be looking for his own ball as I would be taking in the view.
All gamesmanship you know!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is anyone seriously asking for the flag to be tended still. ?
As I said I like it out on all putts.
But if I can’t see the hole ( over a rise ,or distance ,light ).
How often will that happen?
But to flat refuse something that might happen once a year !
I just can’t see why somebody would refuse a request that will take 20 secs max.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
As I said I like it out on all putts.
But if I can’t see the hole ( over a rise ,or distance ,light ).
How often will that happen?
But to flat refuse something that might happen once a year !
I just can’t see why somebody would refuse a request that will take 20 secs max.

I didnt ask if anyone would refuse, i asked if anyone would seriously still ask to have it tended!

The reason to do so has gone so if someone does ask, its just being plain awkward as far as i can see

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didnt ask if anyone would refuse, i asked if anyone would seriously still ask to have it tended!

The reason to do so has gone so if someone does ask, its just being plain awkward as far as i can see
You need to look further then.
It’s a choice the player still has,
I think it’s being awkward to refuse.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to look further then.
It’s a choice the player still has,
I think it’s being awkward to refuse.

It's a choice to ask for a flag to be tended and a choice for an opponent to refuse, both choices and both euqally as awkward IMO.

D

Deleted member 3432

I am asking who in thier right mind would actually ask to have the flag tended.

I would certainly ask.

Playing a constantly windy links the pin is hardly ever centred and often leaning in a way the ball is unlikely to go in the hole. If I cant see the hole very clearly on a longer putt then I'm asking for it to be tended.

No big deal for all concerned.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have done it because I have seen the ball hit the pin and bounce out , it was tended with no issues at all , seen pros do it , seen it happen in a Pro Am , also saw it during the recent dubai event and in the Solhiem

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Can we get this back on track re benefits/negatives.

My experience is the game has quickened, absolutely no doubt where I play, coupled with "ready golf" it's a bit more enjoyable.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing in this rule has changed except you can now have the flag in.
So
1 putt with flag in
2 putt with flag out.
3 attended.

So uphill putt McKenzie green can’t see the hole but don’t like the flag in.
What’s my options if my opponent refuses to attend after a polite request.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My experience is the game has quickened, absolutely no doubt where I play, coupled with "ready golf" it's a bit more enjoyable.
I agree it’s quicker on the greens .
But we still wait on the tee most holes as it only takes one hokey Kokey game to hold everyone up.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing in this rule has changed except you can now have the flag in.
So
1 putt with flag in
2 putt with flag out.
3 attended.

So uphill putt McKenzie green can’t see the hole but don’t like the flag in.
What’s my options if my opponent refuses to attend after a polite request.

Something HAS changed with the rule i.e. no penalty for hitting the flag if you put with the flag in when on the green.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a choice to ask for a flag to be tended and a choice for an opponent to refuse, both choices and both euqally as awkward IMO.
I just can’t see why anyone would refuse a polite request if the player asks.
People have said they would refuse point blank but are happy to look in the rough for 3mins for a ball.
I just don’t get it.
Just manners imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Even with ready golf not sure I've seen a significant pace of play improvement. People from distance going first and then a decision as to in and out with in's going next. Still not quick but at least we know where we are. Definitely no-one tending

Out of interest, and apologise for harking on about this but in a stroke play event (assuming that includes stableford) if a player asks for the flag to be attended do the other PP's have any right or standing to ignore the request?