Who is still moaning?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can we get this back on track re benefits/negatives.

My experience is the game has quickened, absolutely no doubt where I play, coupled with "ready golf" it's a bit more enjoyable.

My experience is that it has slowed down the game. Where previously everybody had the flag out we now have a lot of in/out going on.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm actually flabbergasted by that reply!

Genuinely flabbergasted.
Why ?

Your experiences won’t be the same as everyone else’s

I can’t see how you can’t understand that we are all different and people play the game differently.

Golf is full of people grew up playing the game differently and are happy to continue to play it that way

I see the flag going in and out all over tbe place depending on what each persons preference is - it’s what happens when there is a choice.

we as a club did it for years over winter so it’s not new for us and it hasn’t made a difference in pace of play - certainly not made it quicker and some games maybe slower

the way you play the game is not the standard we must all play the game

I suspect flag in or out for the majority of people has not made any significant difference to the pace or the enjoyment of the game.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not the flag in or out that's taking the time it's the reading of the green.

Once guys get into a certain distance from the flag, someone should be close enough to remove it should a player wish whilst the guy hitting the shot is reading and lining up his putt.

Even if it needs popped in again it can literally be done while the next guy lines up his putt therefore no time is actually lost.

I would say overall not much time if any is saved. Even if you make up 30seconds on one green due to leaving it in the hole it gets gobbled up by waiting for the group ahead to find their next tee shot.

If you had a clear run and left in place all day then sure it would save some time but how often do you get to do this in reality.

The greatest benefit is removing the need to have some tend the pin for your long putt which you are likely to 3 putt. We have massive greens in places. It was mind numbing to to have wait till a friend chipped on and tended. I can now just hit my putt and go deal with flag in or out preferences.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why ?

Your experiences won’t be the same as everyone else’s

I can’t see how you can’t understand that we are all different and people play the game differently.

Golf is full of people grew up playing the game differently and are happy to continue to play it that way

I see the flag going in and out all over tbe place depending on what each persons preference is - it’s what happens when there is a choice.

we as a club did it for years over winter so it’s not new for us and it hasn’t made a difference in pace of play - certainly not made it quicker and some games maybe slower

the way you play the game is not the standard we must all play the game

I suspect flag in or out for the majority of people has not made any significant difference to the pace or the enjoyment of the game.

Clearly just a slow player.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shamefully, I'm with jacko on this.
Rubbish golfers who are all 'I prefer this, I prefer that' take up a load of time for no earthly reason in so many parts of a round of golf. Guess what, it'll save everyone time and will make no difference whatsoever. You'll still be ****, but much better company....
Ok. That's a little tongue in cheek, but ...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely it's as you've stated elsewhere? Refusing to tend the flag for an opponent is just using the rules to your advantage as there is no requirement for your opponent in a match to tend the flag for you if asked.

I do try and differentiate between using the rules to my own advantage (when playing my ball), as opposed to using them to my opponent's disadvantage (when he is playing his). So for instance I will use S&D to my advantage - I would not refuse to attend the flag to the disadvantage of my opponent. In the same way I do not have to look for my opponents ball in the rough. But I always do.

Where 'gamesmanship' comes in for me in a match is whether or not I give my opponent a short putt. But in that situation I am not impacting in any way the shot he is playing - just making him play it :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it’s not to much to ask imo

And I just don't see how asking an opponent to attend the flag for me is gamesmanship...I just don't - it's not something I have ever thought about in that way.

I can certainly see how it could very much have been gamesmanship in the past - as refusing to attend the flag for me on a 'blind' putt would have forced me to putt 'blind' - and for me that would have been an action 'beyond the pale' - unacceptable - and frankly unconscionable. The rule change was not intended to introduce another opportunity for 'gamesmanship', and I think to view it as another opportunity for gamesmanship is certainly way outside 'the spirit of the game'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am asking who in thier right mind would actually ask to have the flag tended.

The person who has always sighted long putts using the flag in but would like it out for the putt.

I add that I have never actually had to tend a flag since the new rule came in - but I would be more than happy to do so if asked. And last Saturday one of my three ball occasionally asked for the flag to be replaced after it had been taken out for another of us. No issue with that whatsoever.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
😂😜👍

Best change in the rules of golf ever. Just need to get relief from divots integrated into the rules and I'll be buzzing.
Agree with the divot rule.
If you are on the fairway you should get and are entitled to a fairway lie.
It’s dangerous to play out of a divot, I snapped a shaft once in CC.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of those things that seems a nice idea but too hard to implement.
I think it’s a common sense one .
We all know what a divot is but it’s not put in place because people might abuse the rule .
Slight depression or some other surface damage.
Not like any other rules are being abused at the moment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's not the flag in or out that's taking the time it's the reading of the green.

Once guys get into a certain distance from the flag, someone should be close enough to remove it should a player wish whilst the guy hitting the shot is reading and lining up his putt.

Even if it needs popped in again it can literally be done while the next guy lines up his putt therefore no time is actually lost.

I would say overall not much time if any is saved. Even if you make up 30seconds on one green due to leaving it in the hole it gets gobbled up by waiting for the group ahead to find their next tee shot.

If you had a clear run and left in place all day then sure it would save some time but how often do you get to do this in reality.

The greatest benefit is removing the need to have some tend the pin for your long putt which you are likely to 3 putt. We have massive greens in places. It was mind numbing to to have wait till a friend chipped on and tended. I can now just hit my putt and go deal with flag in or out preferences.

This^^^- especially this - which is exactly my experience of what we do.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree with the divot rule.
If you are on the fairway you should get and are entitled to a fairway lie.
It’s dangerous to play out of a divot, I snapped a shaft once in CC.

How many times do people actually land in divots ?

And how can you manage what is a divot ? You might as well make it “pick and place” throughout the year

It’s rub of the green

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We all know what a divot is but it’s not put in place because people might abuse the rule .

Thing is - how deep and/or how new/old has the divot 'cut' to be. Old repaired divots 'cuts' can still create a poor lie - if for example not repaired very well. Do you get relief from a ball sitting on the uneven edge of repaired divot 'cut' - and if not then what defines a 'repaired divot cut'.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think thats why they got rid of it a few years ago because it was being abused

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many times do people actually land in divots ?

And how can you manage what is a divot ? You might as well make it “pick and place” throughout the year

It’s rub of the green
If you hit fairways regally ,I have been in a few.
Short par fours where people lay up to a certain spot I find the worst.
I would say if a ball is under the surface level and a pice of turf like a 16once steak has been removed.

It’s not much different to a ball in its own plug mark except it was made by somebody else.
But it’s the abuse of the rule that is stopping it’s implementation imo.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The person who has always sighted long putts using the flag in but would like it out for the putt.

I add that I have never actually had to tend a flag since the new rule came in - but I would be more than happy to do so if asked. And last Saturday one of my three ball occasionally asked for the flag to be replaced after it had been taken out for another of us. No issue with that whatsoever.
lets face it though.. you are a stick in the mud and refuse change:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hate GPS and still use a wound ball and use 30 year old clubs:LOL: