Who is still moaning?

D

Deleted member 15344

If you hit fairways regally ,I have been in a few.
Short par fours where people lay up to a certain spot I find the worst.
I would say if a ball is under the surface level and a pice of turf like a 16once steak has been removed.

It’s not much different to a ball in its own plug mark except it was made by somebody else.
But it’s the abuse of the rule that is stopping it’s implementation imo.

It’s nothing to do with abuse of any rule , it’s called rub of the green and it’s not an occurence that happens that often

You can detail which divot is allowed free relief etc - it’s very different to a plug ball

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s nothing to do with abuse of any rule , it’s called rub of the green and it’s not an occurence that happens that often

You can detail which divot is allowed free relief etc - it’s very different to a plug ball
Fair enough .
But why isn’t a plugged ball classed as rub of the green?
It is play it as it lies in a bunker.

As I see it .
You get relief from a plugged ball under the surface because you hit it there yourself.
You don’t get relief from a divot ball under the surface because someone else did it.

The main problem is the definition of a divot. And abuse of it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair enough .
But why isn’t a plugged ball classed as rub of the green?
It is play it as it lies in a bunker.

As I see it .
You get relief from a plugged ball under the surface because you hit it there yourself.
You don’t get relief from a divot ball under the surface because someone else did it.

The main problem is the definition of a divot. And abuse of it.
Because a plugged lie is a consequence of ground conditions - and how many plugged lies do you get outside the months of “preferred lies” ? Very rare again

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you hit fairways regally ,I have been in a few.
Short par fours where people lay up to a certain spot I find the worst.
I would say if a ball is under the surface level and a pice of turf like a 16once steak has been removed.

It’s not much different to a ball in its own plug mark except it was made by somebody else.
But it’s the abuse of the rule that is stopping it’s implementation imo.
we have a about 6 holes where the ball collects from a lay up on short par 4's, not to bad really these are all wedge shots for the 2nd so easy enough, one that isnt is a chip or B&R shot... 15th Luckily M&E are buggering up this hole in phase 2 of our course changes so won't be a probelm next year onwards, the hole will have to be played differently

User20204

Visit site
I ask, how often do you land in a divot hole in a season, once or twice if you're unlucky, that's golf, learn how to play the shot and get on with it, next you'll be wanting mulligans for bad bounces on the fairways.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I ask, how often do you land in a divot hole in a season, once or twice if you're unlucky, that's golf, learn how to play the shot and get on with it, next you'll be wanting mulligans for bad bounces on the fairways.
now you are talking;) what about gimmies from anything inside 3 ft too;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Simply because my experience is that the game has become quicker on and around the greens due to reduced farting about! Open competitions especially I notice a big difference as people don't need a flag tended as they can see where the hole is.

I suspect some blinkered refusing to change attitudes cloud visions, same visions that blame the rule rather than the golfer for alleged "hole damage/deformation" which again I've never witnessed. However I don't play soggy wet parkland golf so maybe our ground conditions are firmer and obviously drain better resulting in zero damage.

D

Deleted member 23270

I think it is a poor rule change. It has led to holes being damaged and more faffing about on the green. Some like it in, some like it out. Personal preference that people are entitled to make but before the rule change the decision was already made for you.

I understand why the change was implemented but I think it has backfired.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
lets face it though.. you are a stick in the mud and refuse change:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hate GPS and still use a wound ball and use 30 year old clubs:LOL:

I'll have you know sir that I am thinking of asking Santa for a measuring device for Christmas. My problem is that my golf-gear adviser (my daughters boyfriend is a Club Pro) tells me that I should be asking for a laser zapper rather than a GPS watch. They are sooo expensive :eek: And at the same time my golf bag is pretty knackered and I need a new one...and that's another £150 or so. And my wife won't let Santa give me both....she is so crooool

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'll have you know sir that I am thinking of asking Santa for a measuring device for Christmas. My problem is that my golf-gear adviser (my daughters boyfriend is a Club Pro) tells me that I should be asking for a laser zapper rather than a GPS watch. They are sooo expensive :eek: And at the same time my golf bag is pretty knackered and I need a new one...and that's another £150 or so. And my wife won't let Santa give me both....she is so crooool

Club pro - dating your daughter and you've not negotiated cost price gear???

I assume you are withholding your daughter's hand in marriage to this gentleman until such times as a suitable arrangement has been negotiated???

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only time I have the flag out is when the shadow of the flag is fluttering near my ball.
Having said that, I've not seen a shadow for weeks!
We need the sun for that to happen.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
trouble is dear b oy when you say a measuring device a 150 yard tape measure sprang to mind:ROFLMAO:

Also I would sit this young man down and lay a few ground rules ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Lasers do not have to be soo expensive. I have been using a a Snooper Shotsaver laser, cost me £80, for about 3 - 4 tears years gives me the same yardage a my mate next to me who always gets his Nikon out to measure despite me having given him the yardage.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I said ,I snapped my shaft playing from a divot in the club championship.
I was playing off 3 at the time and did know how to play the shot.
Maybe my experience of this is worse than yours so my attitude differs.
You should never assume what people want next.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I said ,I snapped my shaft playing from a divot in the club championship.
I was playing off 3 at the time and did know how to play the shot.
Maybe my experience of this is worse than yours so my attitude differs.
You should never assume what people want next.
you might have more diggers and chompers at your course, that could be the problem;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Club pro - dating your daughter and you've not negotiated cost price gear???

I assume you are withholding your daughter's hand in marriage to this gentleman until such times as a suitable arrangement has been negotiated???
I most certainly will be negotiating cost price gear (though he doesn't run the shop and it is club-owned so not sure what flexibility there is).

And for the time being he can go whistle...well until he's fixed my Lucy Locketing - and we know that once a Lucy Locketer always a Lucy Locketer...;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you might have more diggers and chompers at your course, that could be the problem;)
I have seen some divots that I wouldn’t mind made out of steak .
One of the problems is the birds pull them out looking for worms, I have seen them do it early in the morning.
The divot is right next to the hole.
We had green biodegradable things to stop the birds but haven't seen them for years now, cost I assume.
We had a local rule for seeded divots rolloff as once played there was no divot to put back.
But this was stopped by R&A according to club.
Quite a few rugby players at my place and they take some very big ones.