Who is now the best player yet to win a major?

Who is now the best player yet to win a major?

• Xander Schauffele

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Patrick Cantlay

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Tony Finau

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Tyrrell Hatton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tommy Fleetwood

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Sungjae Im

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • AN Other

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Now Jon Rahm has bagged his first major who does that leave as the best player still to win one of the big four?

This always used to be a banker for the likes of Fowler, Westwood and co but we've now got some different names among the possible...

I'll put this together tonight if you can vote and leave your comments/reasons that would be great. Cheers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone with Xander from the options presented. The amount of major top 10s he's had in the last five years is actually ridiculous. Two every year for the last four years.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've gone with Xander from the options presented. The amount of major top 10s he's had in the last five years is actually ridiculous. Two every year for the last four years.

I think what is getting more and more depressing with every new major winner is just how far Rory has fallen ATM .. 4 majors yet when he last won one spieth and brooks had zero . Between now and then they have won 7 and we have 15 other completely new major winners .. shows it's hard out there but also come on Rory

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one for Xander. He seems to be there or there abouts quite often and whilst he struggles getting over the line I think he is next in line.

The others haven't put together a consistent, recent run of results that suggest they are closer to breaking through.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Xander seems the obvious one, but Rickie Fowler is still worth a mention as he has been playing better recently after being in the doldrums for quite a while.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised people are voting for Fleetwood. Lovely iron striker, but seems to have a real bottler's mentality. How many times has he actually been in proper contention for a major?? It's always two great rounds and one stinker with him.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I voted Xander but I was tempted by AN Other; from the given list, it really seems that it's a commentators list of "there's majors in this guys future, sooner or later" and it always makes me cringe when I hear that. Xander aside, I don't think the others have really showed 'best not to win' over their career. They are all capable of winning a tournament, as much as I'd like to be wrong, for Hatton in particular, for the likes of Finau, Fleetwood and Hatton, they are not in the same bracket as a Monty or even Fowler, for the others it's too early to say - if Im or Cantlay rack up multiple season wins and contend at the majors without winning for the next 5 or 6 years, then maybe.... but at the minute that list is probably premature; for example, Westwood is currently playing, occasionally contending and would be a better shout.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I've maybe worded this poorly - was meant to be who's the best player out there who hasn't got a major rather than who's the best player still playing who hasn't got a major? Easy to say now but Rahm was pretty much most people's best current player who hasn't won one before last night.

I'm not sure that clears things up... Schauffele's major record seems to get better every time you look at it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've maybe worded this poorly - was meant to be who's the best player out there who hasn't got a major rather than who's the best player still playing who hasn't got a major? Easy to say now but Rahm was pretty much most people's best current player who hasn't won one before last night.

I'm not sure that clears things up... Schauffele's major record seems to get better every time you look at it
Yeah, I figured you meant best on current ability. Not has been the best and not managed to win one.

Visit site
Casey is a good shout, the amount of times he barely gets any TV coverage in a major and then appears on the leaderboard with 9 holes left on a Sunday afternoon is amazing.

Schauffele is a money making machine, top 10 in every US Open he has played? Hard to see him not winning one ‘eventually’

peld

Visit site
+1 for Xander too, slightly ahead of Cantlay

Agree Tommy has never struck me as a major winner yet. Doesnt seem to have the bottle.
Finau obv very consistent but again, doesnt seem to have that cutting edge to win (might change if he can win a normal event )
I'd love Casey and Westwood to win a major as they regualrly compete at the top, but again doubt thier credentials on a sunday

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Schauffele is, in my opinion, the next Rickie Fowler, except with fewer advertising gigs. No major for him. The odd PGA Tour event, but I think there is something missing in his game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Schauffele is, in my opinion, the next Rickie Fowler, except with fewer advertising gigs. No major for him. The odd PGA Tour event, but I think there is something missing in his game.
Plenty of people with seemingly a few things missing from their game have won majors though!

Grizzly

Visit site
You see, I would say Paul Casey - he's the best player over a long period of time not to win one, who could still conceivably win one (with apologies to Westy). The players on the list are good, no doubt, but a lot of them are yet to prove they have longevity at the top level and some (Finau has one tour win FFS!) are not even serial winners.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you mean in terms of the current crop its Rickie Fowler IMO and I hope he finds his mojo again. Close shout for Westwood though who is enjoying a golden spell of form late on his career.