• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
You keep throwing a curve ball by mentioning pro's and caddies. Caddies will always stand in front of their pro because they will be discussing club selection etc. We don't have caddies, so no need to worry about where we stand.

Re read , second question refers to us mere mortals. And anyway whats wrong with not taking a lead from what the professional tour does ( slow play not withstanding ) :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well for a start how about the (vast ) majority of people on this forum, that's an indication for a start.
Correct, it's a global game. If people in for example Australia still wish to stand where you think is correct then that is up to them. The simple fact of the matter is they are not rules or laws, they are simply what is deemed to be best or polite practise at the time. I will reiterate and put it in big letters for you:

If the majority of people wished to stand, where you suggest it is of vital importance, while people played their tee shot, then they would and it would be current etiquette. It isn't.

No one has turned round one day and said 'do you know what? lets stand somewhere else while our PPs tee off' - things evolve, you are aware of the concept of evolution I presume? No rule of etiquette has been discarded - simply because it never was a rule, simply etiquette. Over time players decided it wasn't necessarily ideal to stand where you suggest they should.

Do you ever go into a shop and pick up and examine an item that you have no intention of buying? Why? You are aware I presume that in Victorian Britain this was seen as particularly poor etiquette.

You will have noticed that in my previous post I was talking about etiquette in general. And so again I make the general point - I see no particular need for any rule of etiquette to be discarded unless the context in which the rule came about has disappeared from the game or has at least changed significantly.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
You will have noticed that in my previous post I was talking about etiquette in general. And so again I make the general point - I see no particular need for any rule of etiquette to be discarded unless the context in which the rule came about has disappeared from the game or has at least changed significantly.

Well that's the way you see it, the majority see it differently.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rule? What rule? I was under the impression that Etiquette was defined as a guideline, not a rule? If it was a Rule, then we'd all still be following it or getting punished for not doing so. To my knowledge, No one has ever been punished for not following the HNSP (?)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This thread seems to be the only thread in the history of The Lounge when posters do not slavishly follow 'what the Pro's do'.

from what I've seen numerous times the pro's stand where they can as they are usually 'guided' onto a tee and surrounded by spectators so usually not a lot of room. They stand still and quiet but in lots of very different places.

You realise we will all be focusing on this now at tournaments as opposed to what club, what shot and what swing :rofl: :rofl:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
End the thread..END THE THREAD NOW!!! It's not going to get any better than this. Everyone wins.. Party time.. Open a Party 7 and dance the night away to The Nolans and Showaddywaddy................:)
You need the Mavericks to dance the night away, I don't know who played The Last Post.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
from what I've seen numerous times the pro's stand where they can as they are usually 'guided' onto a tee and surrounded by spectators so usually not a lot of room. They stand still and quiet but in lots of very different places.

You realise we will all be focusing on this now at tournaments as opposed to what club, what shot and what swing :rofl: :rofl:

It's all I'm going to be concentrating on when it kicks off in Abu Dhabi in the morning....:D

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule? What rule? I was under the impression that Etiquette was defined as a guideline, not a rule? If it was a Rule, then we'd all still be following it or getting punished for not doing so. To my knowledge, No one has ever been punished for not following the HNSP (?)

This thread is punishment enough !!!!!:D

I promise to conform if you make it go away!!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread is punishment enough !!!!!:D

I promise to conform if you make it go away!!

You are of course correct, but you can't stop reading it can you? It's like a super slo-mo car crash in which no one gets injured, but lots of people get ever so slightly frustrated and just constantly wonder round in circles.... This what it must be like to watch Big Brother or one of the other gutter reality shows...:D