• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely, if over 85% of golfers do something in a particular manner without causing upset to fellow players, and against the accepted ettiquette of the time, they have created a newer, more modern ettiquette ................. as in this instance.

Slime.

So tough on the 15% who are upset when it costs nothing for you to avoid causing that upset.

(and I'm not saying it is that upsetting - it's the principle)

Ah well.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I meant was - how can anyone determine if the majority are happy for a point of etiquette to lapse?

It's not a case of that. See whatever the majority are doing? then that is the current etiquette. If the majority were happy with standing where you think people should stand then guess what? That's where they would be standing.

Do you want me to draw you a series of pictures?

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not a case of that. See whatever the majority are doing? then that is the current etiquette. If the majority were happy with standing where you think people should stand then guess what? That's where they would be standing.

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic - been looking to see one of this "universally accepted" position for a while now

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

But stevie - who are this majority - who are you asking? Our game isn't confined to groups of guys playing their own and a few other tracks - it is a global game - and rules of etiquette are (I believe) global. How do you see what the majority are doing? If you could then great and I'd agree - but you can't.

Why change etiquette if it does not need to be changed. Rules of Etiquette evolved over many years and they evolved for many good reasons.

Off top of my head I can't think of any rule of etiquette that has been discarded over the time I have played - closest I guess would be in respect of stymies and that was well before my time.

What makes you think that today we (as a generation of golfers) are in any better a position than previous generations to discard any rule of etiquette simply on the grounds that many don't adhere to it. Lot's of folk doing something wrong doesn't make it right - and I'm talking about etiquette in general here and not where we stand when teeing off.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Off top of my head I can't think of any rule of etiquette that has been discarded over the time I have played - closest I guess would be in respect of stymies and that was well before my time.

Neither can I.

Mind you even in the days of stymies [explanation for the young team.... a snookered putt in the days before marking your ball became a rule.] it was considered jolly bad form to lay up and then blooter your opponents ball into the next county.

My grandfather was an expert at using check spin on putts to spin around or lay a stymie. Now there is a skill we won't see again.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why change etiquette if it does not need to be changed. Rules of Etiquette evolved over many years and they evolved for many good reasons.

No-one sets out to deliberately change etiquette, it just, in certain instances, morphs over time.
Oh, and I don't believe it is a rule, more a generally acceoted code of practice.

Etiquette
is a code of behaviour that delineates expectations for social behaviour according to contemporary norms within a society, class or group.

Slime.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thankyou @NorthMs. Yes I absolutely have softened my position - I took a strong position as I thought it was a 'universally accepted' point of etiquette. I now know differently as it's not even considered etiquette by most...however I will continue to believe what I believed back then despite what is said - I do no harm :)

And to be honest - you really don't need to ask folks before you play - believe me. No-body has EVER asked me to move from DfT's HNSP. You'll be OK.
I do need to either check or else get everyone in the 4 ball to agree. Otherwise I'll be standing on the far side of tee from the other 2 on 10 out of 18 holes!
I'm pretty relaxed about where others stand when I'm teeing off, but I don't want one left, one right and one behind. Everyone on the one side please,wherever that may be....

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do need to either check or else get everyone in the 4 ball to agree. Otherwise I'll be standing on the far side of tee from the other 2 on 10 out of 18 holes!
I'm pretty relaxed about where others stand when I'm teeing off, but I don't want one left, one right and one behind. Everyone on the one side please,wherever that may be....

Well said sir.
Please remember that the HNSP [wee smile] is generally not used on tees where it is not appropriate so you should not have any bother complying with your other playing partners.

Last edited:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
But stevie - who are this majority - who are you asking? Our game isn't confined to groups of guys playing their own and a few other tracks - it is a global game - and rules of etiquette are (I believe) global. How do you see what the majority are doing? If you could then great and I'd agree - but you can't.

What makes you think that today we (as a generation of golfers) are in any better a position than previous generations to discard any rule of etiquette simply on the grounds that many don't adhere to it. Lot's of folk doing something wrong doesn't make it right - and I'm talking about etiquette in general here and not where we stand when teeing off.

Well for a start how about the (vast ) majority of people on this forum, that's an indication for a start.
Correct, it's a global game. If people in for example Australia still wish to stand where you think is correct then that is up to them. The simple fact of the matter is they are not rules or laws, they are simply what is deemed to be best or polite practise at the time. I will reiterate and put it in big letters for you:

If the majority of people wished to stand, where you suggest it is of vital importance, while people played their tee shot, then they would and it would be current etiquette. It isn't.

No one has turned round one day and said 'do you know what? lets stand somewhere else while our PPs tee off' - things evolve, you are aware of the concept of evolution I presume? No rule of etiquette has been discarded - simply because it never was a rule, simply etiquette. Over time players decided it wasn't necessarily ideal to stand where you suggest they should.

Do you ever go into a shop and pick up and examine an item that you have no intention of buying? Why? You are aware I presume that in Victorian Britain this was seen as particularly poor etiquette.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had some correspondence on this with a golf commentator and asked the question
"Why do pro's and caddies use the right hand side of the tee please?"
"To stand facing right-handed golfers."

"So is it bad etiquette to not stand facing a golfer for us mere mortals ?"
"Not really bad etiquette. Just kind of expected. But you wouldn't necessarily move for left-handers."

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

"Not really bad etiquette. Just kind of expected. But you wouldn't necessarily move for left-handers."

End the thread..END THE THREAD NOW!!! It's not going to get any better than this. Everyone wins.. Party time.. Open a Party 7 and dance the night away to The Nolans and Showaddywaddy................:)

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

You keep throwing a curve ball by mentioning pro's and caddies. Caddies will always stand in front of their pro because they will be discussing club selection etc. We don't have caddies, so no need to worry about where we stand.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is Mimms not a Sir then.........very sorry.
I'm female, which considering how attitudes have changed over the years, could explain why I see etiquette as something that can change!
(Having once been told that I couldn't go into the Spike Bar for a cold drink after a round of golf, but would have to take off my shoes and have my cup of tea with the other ladies in The Lounge.
I didn't want a cup of tea- i wanted a beer, but i realised that if I told the chap that, he might well have a fit)