• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Can't help think that anyone thinking of taking up the sport and reading this is thinking, may be not, I'll see if the local tennis club has any beginners lessons... :confused:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re cigarettes.
I recall a right rules stushey once when a player had a habit of laying his cigarette down at the far side of his ball and in line with the hole.
His opponent claimed it was an aid and that the smoke from the cigarette was also a wind indicator.

It became very messy but I can't remember how it was resolved.

I have remembered this story and will open a new thread on it as it was quite interesting. sorry Hogan.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...and I actually have absolutely no issue with a FC standing behind my back as I prepare to tee-off - as long as they are a good distance back from me and stay there as I prepare.

That is not perhaps where I would prefer them to stand (assuming they could) and you know where that is - because some players do fiddle about - with stuff in their pockets, marking cards, their clubs etc whilst waiting - thinking that as they can't be seen by the player they are OK to do this as long as they are quiet - as they try to be and usually are. But we are all guilty of having had made a noise (accidentally or due uncontrollable natural causes) at an inappropriate moment in a FC prep or swing. Standing facing the player whenever you can removes the desire to fiddle.

Yeah , I realise that from the OP, I was just pointing out, as I have before in this thread, that behind, in the context of the thread, as dictated by your OP, doesn't mean behind the line, otherwise you wouldn't have been so careful as to distinguish. Unfortunately, some have not taken your OP as reference for the position you are talking about.

I also have no issue with your preference of where people stand when you tee off and if I was in the wrong place would happily move for you.

My only issue with this thread was the insistence from some that I and others are somehow practicing bad etiquette if we don't stand in front of a player when he tees off. But then I have said that as well previously in this thread as well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How the hell does that work then.!?

Because when I walk to the side of the tee facing my FC (when circumstances permit) I tend to take the club I am going to use with me so won't be rummaging in my bag getting my club; I am away from my bag so won't be undoing zips getting sweets or anything else out; I won't be pulling a jersey off etc. In fact I will simply adhere to our agreed etiquette of standing still and keeping quiet - actually doing nothing while my FC tees off.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree that people need to show good etiquette and be respectful of the player teeing off. But someone with there hand in there pocket is going to put you off? Come on, we play this game in the outdoors where you have wildlife making noise all the time. Others players on different holes chatting and rattling their bags about. Do not get me wrong making noise lie they do on Happy Gilmore is not good but I do not find little noises like people shuffling to be annoying.

V

vkurup

Something tells me that this thread will be an 'Eastender'....

Everyone is saying the same things again and again and making no progress. Some comments are being rehashed, rewritten and sometimes rerere-written by someone else.. and before we know it it will go past its 2000 comment..

I am switching off..

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
...and I actually have absolutely no issue with a FC standing behind my back as I prepare to tee-off - as long as they are a good distance back from me and stay there as I prepare.

That is not perhaps where I would prefer them to stand (assuming they could) and you know where that is - because some players do fiddle about - with stuff in their pockets, marking cards, their clubs etc whilst waiting - thinking that as they can't be seen by the player they are OK to do this as long as they are quiet - as they try to be and usually are. But we are all guilty of having had made a noise (accidentally or due uncontrollable natural causes) at an inappropriate moment in a FC prep or swing. Standing facing the player whenever you can removes the desire to fiddle.

there is an exception to every rule :smirk:

[video=youtube_share;MVZfOvxINd8]http://youtu.be/MVZfOvxINd8[/video]

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because when I walk to the side of the tee facing my FC (when circumstances permit) I tend to take the club I am going to use with me so won't be rummaging in my bag getting my club; I am away from my bag so won't be undoing zips getting sweets or anything else out; I won't be pulling a jersey off etc. In fact I will simply adhere to our agreed etiquette of standing still and keeping quiet - actually doing nothing while my FC tees off.

There seems to be an awful lot of scenarios that have the potential to disturb you during your shot.

I think such fragility of mind should be the first thing I'd address. This is making Monty look like someone with cast iron concentration levels!! :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There seems to be an awful lot of scenarios that have the potential to disturb you during your shot.

I think such fragility of mind should be the first thing I'd address. This is making Monty look like someone with cast iron concentration levels!! :)

Don't forget we are not talking about your ability to shut things put and not get distracted and I also am not that bothered by most things - we're talking about your FC - and you may not know how sensitive your FC is. I've got a mate who will step back from a shot if he hears a car in the distance heading along a road skirting the course - or if he hears cyclists on the road chatting as they go past - or even just going past he stops in case they start talking :)

Anyway - all of what you say is absolutely correct - but you can't deny that you are more likely to fiddle around if you can't be seen by your FC on the tee than if you can be seen by him. That's all in respect of fiddling about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Don't forget we are not talking about your ability to shut things put and not get distracted - we're talking about your FC - and you may not know how sensitive your FC is. I've got a mate who will step back from a shot if he hears a car in the distance heading along a road skirting the course - or if he hears cyclists on the road chatting as they go past.

He must struggle to get a round in under 5 hours if he steps back from every single noise.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely then the prevalent etiquette in this situation is for him to hurry up and stop holding up the course, ahead of where his FC stands?

On a side note, can you rank matters of etiquette? I assume you can, but I'm probably (normally) wrong.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can this be correct?

I've just clicked to show all threads since "beginning" sorted by replies and this fairly innocuous looking thread has had the most replies ever in "The Lounge"