• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The new member seemed pretty able to stand up for himself by playing the Category 1 card and saying some on here don't know much about etiquette. A very jokey reply to said new member then attributed to a bully by someone... who also extrapolated that those who don't adhere to this convention will also play slowly, be noisy and fail to call anyone through.

Pot... kettle...

Anyhoo.
It's been educational.

In many ways.

I'm happy to accept that this convention exists for some, but this thread illustrates that it is definitely not widely known or practised

A very good post

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
from the usga Golf Etiquette 101.

Consideration for Other Players

No Disturbance or Distraction

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making any unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

Pretty much mirrors part of the etiquette section from the R&A Rules of Golf does it not?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know my replies on this thread haven't always been serious but two genuine questions for SILH or DfT or anyone else on that side of the discussion/argument.

1) How do you deal with raised tees? At my place there are a couple that are 4-5 feet above the level of the surrounding ground. Would this fall under times when it was not practicable to stand facing the player?

2) If I am smoking while you tee off and I am facing you but upwind of you, would you rather I move to avoid smoke blowing in your direction or stay in the HNSP?

1} Probably, depending on the size of the tee, pathway to the tee, where my other playing partners are standing, the line of the hole, where the sun/wind/rain/hail/ sleet or snow are coming from and other obvious factors.
2} Are you being serious?
3} I invented HNSP as a joke and have a little smile to myself each time someone types it seriously.

[Some of those replies may not be serious]

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1} Probably, depending on the size of the tee, pathway to the tee, where my other playing partners are standing, the line of the hole, where the sun/wind/rain/hail/ sleet or snow are coming from and other obvious factors.
2} Are you being serious?
3} I invented HNSP as a joke and have a little smile to myself each time someone types it seriously.

[Some of those replies may not be serious]

2) It was a serious question.

3) I'm only using HSNP as it seems to have become accepted on this thread as the area we are talking about. Personally I preferred the KNOBS zone (;)) suggested by someone on about page 6 or wherever it was

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
from the usga Golf Etiquette 101.

Consideration for Other Players

No Disturbance or Distraction

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making any unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

Exactly what the R&A rule book says in the etiquette section. If you are a playing partner in a team or a caddie, you shouldn't stand directly behind your partner's or player's line of swing, as this is a breach of Rule 14-2b (which is why caddies on the LPGA Tour move away after lining up their player before she starts her swing). This does not apply to fellow competitors in stroke play, or opponents in match play.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It doesn't say that at all!
Rule 14-2 Assistance

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball
A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
Exception: There is no penalty if the player’s caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 14-1 or 14-2:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

See also decision 14-2/1. Assistance does not apply prior to making a stroke.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re cigarettes.
I recall a right rules stushey once when a player had a habit of laying his cigarette down at the far side of his ball and in line with the hole.
His opponent claimed it was an aid and that the smoke from the cigarette was also a wind indicator.

It became very messy but I can't remember how it was resolved.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Rule 14-2 Assistance

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball
A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
Exception: There is no penalty if the player’s caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 14-1 or 14-2:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

See also decision 14-2/1. Assistance does not apply prior to making a stroke.

You can quote as many things as you like, it does not say you cannot stand behind the player, I.E his back!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re cigarettes.
I recall a right rules stushey once when a player had a habit of laying his cigarette down at the far side of his ball and in line with the hole.
His opponent claimed it was an aid and that the smoke from the cigarette was also a wind indicator.

It became very messy but I can't remember how it was resolved.
Ha ha ha! Excellent!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Unless you want to risk being hit by a ball, you wouldn't want to stand in front of the tee. That leaves three basic positions. Facing the player, standing behind the tee, i.e. on his line of play, or behind his back. Personally I don't care which unless it would infringe rule 14-2b and fellow competitors don't distract me by moving or making noise as I play my shot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You can quote as many things as you like, it does not say you cannot stand behind the player, I.E his back!

This is where half the confusion/arguement has come from on this thread.
Defining the word "behind" either in English of Golfish......

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I don't think there is, or shouldn't be any confusion, some people have simply interpreted that to suit their argument, the word behind when seen quoted in the rules has always been associated to the line of play, behind the tee or behind the ball, so, that means at 3pm of the right handed player teeing off looking down the line/fairway which can be adopted if playing into the sun for spotting. Otherwise you can stand wherever you like, as most if not all of us do!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At our course we have several tees where it is only practical to stand facing the player. This has never caused a problem that I am aware of. Also we have several holes that face directly into sun early in the morning or late in the evening. In these cases we often get fellow competitors to stand behind the line to help see where the ball as gone.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is, or shouldn't be any confusion, some people have simply interpreted that to suit their argument, the word behind when seen quoted in the rules has always been associated to the line of play, behind the tee or behind the ball, so, that means at 3pm of the right handed player teeing off looking down the line/fairway which can be adopted if playing into the sun for spotting. Otherwise you can stand wherever you like, as most if not all of us do!

As I have said before on this thread, the rules of golf are very careful to use the term "behind the ball" or "on an extension of the line of play", they don't simply say "behind", presumably as that would cause confusion. SilH is also careful to distinguish this in his OP.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

I think the confusion comes with people only reading what they want to see. On several posts I've seen "half quotes" which then takes the original quote out of context, or even gives it a different meaning.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I have said before on this thread, the rules of golf are very careful to use the term "behind the ball" or "on an extension of the line of play", they don't simply say "behind", presumably as that would cause confusion. SilH is also careful to distinguish this in his OP.

...and I actually have absolutely no issue with a FC standing behind my back as I prepare to tee-off - as long as they are a good distance back from me and stay there as I prepare.

That is not perhaps where I would prefer them to stand (assuming they could) and you know where that is - because some players do fiddle about - with stuff in their pockets, marking cards, their clubs etc whilst waiting - thinking that as they can't be seen by the player they are OK to do this as long as they are quiet - as they try to be and usually are. But we are all guilty of having had made a noise (accidentally or due uncontrollable natural causes) at an inappropriate moment in a FC prep or swing. Standing facing the player whenever you can removes the desire to fiddle.