Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 1147

I think actually that most people agree - 2 o'clock'ish is a good place to stand, you can easily follow the ball to assist spotting the shot, you are not in the way, or at risk of flying golf clubs or ball.

What people do say is that it isn't a rigid rule of etiquette that must be adhered to when possible, and those that don't always stand there are not ignorant.

At the most it is just best practice.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I always say if you are confused, check with the sun, carry a compass to help you along, your feet are going to be on the ground, your head is there to move you around.

Simples really, and everyone is happy. And if anyone stands facing me then they are fair game to be hit the way I play sometimes.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think actually that most people agree - 2 o'clock'ish is a good place to stand, you can easily follow the ball to assist spotting the shot, you are not in the way, or at risk of flying golf clubs or ball.

What people do say is that it isn't a rigid rule of etiquette that must be adhered to when possible, and those that don't always stand there are not ignorant.

At the most it is just best practice.

:thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I only read through a couple of lines of that to realise that you are missing the point completely. It was a point of etiquette once - it isn't any more.

Well that makes two of us.

A matter of etiquette doesn't just disappear if some can't be bothered with it, haven't heard of it, or don't see the point of it.

It would correctly disappear if the conditions under which the etiquette or other guidelines applied themselves disappeared or became obsolete - for instance the position of the tee box (we don't use sand to form a tee these days). But nothing about teeing off has changed. So why should the etiquette disappear or not apply today? That's all.

And as I have already mentioned - it isn't rigid - it is a starting point.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
So why were two of my threads closed down so quickly, when they couldn't possibly be more pointless than this one!

"Pointless" is subjective. This thread has provided entertainment and (mostly) good natured banter. In the Winter months, this is invaluable. I didn't read your threads so can't comment on them though...

Anyway, I've joined a new club today, and one of the selling points was that jeans were allowed in the Clubhouse (not on the course obviously). I can play off the whites whenever I want and my kids are more than welcome to join me after a round... So I'm in a good mood..... Happy Golfing...:thup:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well that makes two of us.

A matter of etiquette doesn't just disappear if some can't be bothered with it, haven't heard of it, or don't see the point of it.

It would correctly disappear if the conditions under which the etiquette or other guidelines applied themselves disappeared or became obsolete - for instance the position of the tee box (we don't use sand to form a tee these days). But nothing about teeing off has changed. So why should the etiquette disappear or not apply today? That's all.

And as I have already mentioned - it isn't rigid - it is a starting point.

You are right, a point of etiquette doesn't just disappear because some cant be bothered with, it disappears because the majority can't be bothered with it.

Over a period of time people feel something is unnecessary, less and less people do it until it is no longer the accepted norm or a point of etiquette. This happens in all walks of life and no doubt in other sports as well.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you have - like many others - seem to maintain and state the view that what DfT and I suggested as being rigid - it's not rigid. You only stand in the HNSP when you can; when it's sensible; when it's appropriate, and you move elsewhere if the player teeing off asks you to move elsewhere.
That sounds a lot less rigid than your first few posts on the matter.

What have we learnt from this thread?

1. There is a "widely known accepted practice" which is not widely known, and therefore not universally practiced.
  2. This widely known practice should be adhered to because "most" players prefer that others stand facing the person on the tee.
  3. Most players aren't really bothered if others face their front or their back as they remain stationary and silent.
  4. Golfers have far too much time on their hands

Has this thread changed where I will stand in the future?
Not much- those people that I usually play with seem to adopt the same practice as myself, ie stand on the path side of the tee, be it right or left.
When I play interclub matches against ladies I have never met before, I always say on the first tee "I'm pretty careful about where I stand, but if I am in the wrong place for you, please let me know. I won't be in the "wrong" place on purpose."

D

Deleted member 1147

When I play interclub matches against ladies I have never met before, I always say on the first tee "I'm pretty careful about where I stand, but if I am in the wrong place for you, please let me know. I won't be in the "wrong" place on purpose."

Brilliant gamesmanship, they'll be thinking about where you're standing every time they tee off :thup:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd like you to clarify your meaning here please.

There's 3 of them listed, which one isn't a gent? :)

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally my bad guys i did not see the 3rd name in the post .. MY apologies to Snelly

Splendid prize it would be too, to play with 2 gents off the forum
...& snelly :rofl:

Just kidding mate genuinely did not see 3rd name , it would be a pleasure also im sure :thup:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I saw someone crossing the tee box to the opposite side when a Lefty was pegging up his ball.
No really I did.
A Righty played, this Guy then walked across to the other side while the lefty played, he then crossed back for the 3rd player, a Righty, and then tee'd off himself.........

Trouble is......

He went from behind the Righty's back to behind the Lefty's and then behind the Righty's back again.....…

Came close to wetting myself........:rofl:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw someone crossing the tee box to the opposite side when a Lefty was pegging up his ball.
No really I did.
A Righty played, this Guy then walked across to the other side while the lefty played, he then crossed back for the 3rd player, a Righty, and then tee'd off himself.........

Trouble is......

He went from behind the Righty's back to behind the Lefty's and then behind the Righty's back again.....…

Came close to wetting myself........:rofl:

Ah, but thats the Edinburgh position.. Don't get in the middle of that little argument...;)

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
The funny thing is , it is apparently bad etiquette to stand behind a player's back in case the player throws his club at you after a bad shot ...? Which apparently is OK etiquette ...?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You are right, a point of etiquette doesn't just disappear because some cant be bothered with, it disappears because the majority can't be bothered with it.

Over a period of time people feel something is unnecessary, less and less people do it until it is no longer the accepted norm or a point of etiquette. This happens in all walks of life and no doubt in other sports as well.

Really? Perhaps in matters of fashion or local club custom - but general etiquette? Who would be 'surveyed' to find out whether the majority can't be bothered with something? Even if you could determine the majority view you can't have it local to a club or area, as one crucial aspect of golfing etiquette is that it is common across boundaries and ages - it's what enables us to play the game together with (theoretically :)) little in the way of grounds for disagreement. And besides, etiquette is generally manners and consideration driven - so just because one group of golfers can't be bothered with something absolutely doesn't remove the need for it - indeed one of the great things about our game is that we show absolute consideration for others - regardless of our own feelings or views.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? Perhaps in matters of fashion or local club custom - but general etiquette? Who would be 'surveyed' to find out whether the majority can't be bothered with something?

Yes really, in everything, including what you call general etiquette. You don't have to survey anyone to see if they can be bothered, it doesn't go to a vote or referendum; slowly, over time, practises and beliefs change. The fact that the vast majority don't do it prove the fact. It is no longer etiquette. In addition have a look at the coloured lines at the top of the page, they give you a clue too.

Let me repeat it for the final time, whether YOU like it or not, this HNSP crap is no longer a point of current golf etiquette. You of course may continue to stand there if you wish - as long as your PP is happy with it.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? Perhaps in matters of fashion or local club custom - but general etiquette? Who would be 'surveyed' to find out whether the majority can't be bothered with something? Even if you could determine the majority view you can't have it local to a club or area, as one crucial aspect of golfing etiquette is that it is common across boundaries and ages - it's what enables us to play the game together with (theoretically :)) little in the way of grounds for disagreement. And besides, etiquette is generally manners and consideration driven - so just because one group of golfers can't be bothered with something absolutely doesn't remove the need for it - indeed one of the great things about our game is that we show absolute consideration for others - regardless of our own feelings or views.
But yet again you are saying that it is inconsiderate and ill-mannered to stand somewhere other that this position that you advocate.
I stand- quiet and still- on the path side of tee. If requested to stand elsewhere, I will promptly do so in a considerate manner.

I am most definitely NOT inconsiderate or ill-mannered. Please stop insisting that I am.