• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh well I suppose that I will just have to accept my prize and try and make the best of things -think I'll have to borrow some left handed clubs for the day to ensure that the other 3 do some tee shuffling.

Anyone fancying caddying for me? :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played Saturday and the topic of this thread never entered my head after the first tee shots

Looking back, players were standing everywhere, with the exception of:
no-one was too close to the player tee'ing off (in any direction)
no-one was ahead of the tee box (in the line of fire)

Good natured game was had by all

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I did suggest that the mods could close it after I posted my OP! :) Anyway. Here we are 1000+ posts. Never has so much been posted by so many about so little.

I agree that it may seem a non-issue and in general it is - however it is certainly the case that many of the rules of golf and etiquette can seem (and sometimes are) baffling - especially to the newcomer. After all how many times do we read here words along the lines of 'I don't understand why you can't just...' You all know the sort of thing.

Maybe I'll ask an unrepresentative sample of members at my track (i.e. folks I know) about this and see what they say - and one day sometime I'll post back here on what I find out.

So two little promises from me - I will continue to teach what I believe to be the HNSP as etiquette to all new players or players who are unsure; and I will not harangue anyone who stands elsewhere unless they stand where they shouldn't or if where they stand bothers me - and then it won't be a harangue - more a request - with a smile.

I will of course demonstrate the HNSP to @JohnO (from Hartlepool?) when he visits not so sunny surrey to have a complimentary knock with me round my track :)

Must off soon as I have must practice recovery shots from rough - baffing-spoon is a splendid implement for that - who needs a hybrid!

Last edited:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me it is fairly simple, etiquette in all areas of life, not only golf, evolves over time. When people feel something is no longer necessary/ appropriate etc etc then accepted standards and norms change.

Given that the game of golf is surviving quite nicely without the rigid application of this HNSP or whatever you call it, would suggest quite strongly that it is no longer the a part of the required etiquette of golf.

The modern etiquette in regard to the tee box is to stand in a position that is acceptable to whoever is teeing off, to keep quiet and to keep still.

D

Deleted member 15344

To me it is fairly simple, etiquette in all areas of life, not only golf, evolves over time. When people feel something is no longer necessary/ appropriate etc etc then accepted standards and norms change.

Given that the game of golf is surviving quite nicely without the rigid application of this HNSP or whatever you call it, would suggest quite strongly that it is no longer the a part of the required etiquette of golf.

The modern etiquette in regard to the tee box is to stand in a position that is acceptable to whoever is teeing off, to keep quiet and to keep still.

Summed up very well indeed :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Any chance of closing this thread, which is going nowhere, before it gets to 2000 posts Moderators?

Why the desire to have a thread closed

Soon enough it will come to a natural closure and drift away

There is no reason to close it currently IMO

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Nothing about teeing off has changed in the last 40yrs - though attitudes towards rules have. In this specific matter I don't see why modern etiquette should be any different from historical etiquette - if it applied for good reasons back then - then it should apply today.

And you have - like many others - seem to maintain and state the view that what DfT and I suggested as being rigid - it's not rigid. You only stand in the HNSP when you can; when it's sensible; when it's appropriate, and you move elsewhere if the player teeing off asks you to move elsewhere.

Many aspects of golf etiquette are not at all obvious to a newcomer to the game - and so the newcomer has to be advised. We can all agree that where you stand is one of these things that may not be immediately obvious to the newcomer. And so it's best to have some simple rules or guidelines for newcomers based upon what we know (from precedent and experience) golfers to have found to be in general most appropriate and least likely to be distracting (this would lead me to refer to such a rule as etiquette).

And that is all there is to the HNSP. If you don't know of a player's preference for where you should stand when he is teeing off (actually who would tell you that up front) - then easy - just stand at the HNSP and you will rarely go wrong. Nothing to do with whether that position suits you - but all to do with what suits the player on the tee.

And out.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing about teeing off has changed in the last 40yrs - though attitudes towards rules have. In this specific matter I don't see why modern etiquette should be any different from historical etiquette - if it applied for good reasons back then - then it should apply today.

And you have - like many others - seem to maintain and state the view that what DfT and I suggested as being rigid - it's not rigid. You only stand in the HNSP when you can; when it's sensible; when it's appropriate, and you move elsewhere if the player teeing off asks you to move elsewhere.

Many aspects of golf etiquette are not at all obvious to a newcomer to the game - and so the newcomer has to be advised. We can all agree that where you stand is one of these things that may not be immediately obvious to the newcomer. And so it's best to have some simple rules or guidelines for newcomers based upon what we know (from precedent and experience) golfers to have found to be in general most appropriate and least likely to be distracting (this would lead me to refer to such a rule as etiquette).

And that is all there is to the HNSP. If you don't know of a player's preference for where you should stand when he is teeing off (actually who would tell you that up front) - then easy - just stand at the HNSP and you will rarely go wrong. Nothing to do with whether that position suits you - but all to do with what suits the player on the tee.

And out.

I only read through a couple of lines of that to realise that you are missing the point completely. It was a point of etiquette once - it isn't any more.