Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Re: Where Playing Partners Stand when I tee off POLL

Imurg...clubs slipping out of grips, loose heads, broken shafts.
In the 1960/70's when glue was first used and was nowhere near as good as todays stuff clubheads flying off shafts happened a fair bit
Untreated leather grips were also slippy when dry or wet.

Are you being serious?
Are you seriously trying to convince me that when clubs break or slip out of hands that they have never flown off in the direction of this "mystical" area in front of and slightly behind the player...?
Is there some magical force field in place that prevents, nay, bans objects flying into it..?

Pure "Conversational Gonads".....

Anywhere behind the ball will afford you equal protection from the one in a million chance...

I bet if you tried 100 times to let a club go and get it to go through the area on the opposite side and I'll be amazed if you manage it.

If this area of whivh you speak arose due to dodgy grips and shafts from years ago then it's not surprising it's not relevent today

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly how we were this morning - not one person in our group ever stood in this supposed "correct position"

Oh well - given you don't (clearly) maybe that's not surprising. Just out of interest and as a matter of research - how long have each of you been playing the game (approximately)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Oh dear - just out of interest and as a matter of research - how long had each of you been playing the game?

One person has been playing the game since a junior since the 50's , another since the early 70's and the other since the 80's.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a short game lesson this morning. We spent the first 15 minutes learning the correct position to observe a FC playing their approach onto the green. This must NEVER be confused as being the same position or angle as the tee shot even when the balls lie in close proximity and attention must be taken of the surrounding lie, and the amount of elevation involved in placing two feet together in apposition to maintain an upright posture.

Only once I had mastered this was I allowed anywhere near a golf ball

Having seen your short game, that was probably for the best ;)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you being serious?
Are you seriously trying to convince me that when clubs break or slip out of hands that they have never flown off in the direction of this "mystical" area in front of and slightly behind the player...?
Is there some magical force field in place that prevents, nay, bans objects flying into it..?

Pure "Conversational Gonads".....

Anywhere behind the ball will afford you equal protection from the one in a million chance...

I bet if you tried 100 times to let a club go and get it to go through the area on the opposite side and I'll be amazed if you manage it.

If this area of whivh you speak arose due to dodgy grips and shafts from years ago then it's not surprising it's not relevent today

Asked the question last night " Why are caddies trained to stand on the right of the tee block? " Any thoughts Ian ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah well - see what happens when you become careless about etiquette - bad habits creep in :)

Every single one of us observed etiquette impeccably with not one single issue

We all stood where everyone was comfortable including the person teeing off - we all made sure that we followed the one area of etiquette that is important - being quiet and still

If you stood directly opposite me on the tee I would ask you to move every single time

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh for goodness some folk need reading lessons.
The world did not start in 1986.

I'm out of hear.

It didn't you're right

But the world also evolves as each year goes by

Still unsure why this forum isn't representive of uk golfers because of this poll ? Any update on the explanation please

D

Deleted member 15344

Asked the question last night " Why are caddies trained to stand on the right of the tee block? " Any thoughts Ian ?

Are they "trained" to stand there ? Is that a class during "caddy school" :D

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I haven't really added to this thread but I must say every group I saw on the course today where stood behind each other when teeing off.

Not really added much to help but surely that shows it doesn't really matter to most people :confused:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are they "trained" to stand there ? Is that a class during "caddy school" :D

Yes they are, http://www.gapgolf.org/pdf/2005_caddie_manual.pdf

RESPONSIBILITIES ON THE TEEING GROUND
A. ON THE FIRST TEE
1. Know what markers your players are playing from in order to give them the proper yardage to each hole. You may
inquire whether any of your players know the golf course from playing before.
2. Place the golf bag, standing upright, just outside the right hand tee marker. Never leave a golf bag standing vertically
without holding onto it.

http://www.bngccp.com/uploads/Caddie_Manual.pdf Top of page 10 ( cant copy and paste it )