Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Re: Where Playing Partners Stand when I tee off POLL

Yes they are, http://www.gapgolf.org/pdf/2005_caddie_manual.pdf

RESPONSIBILITIES ON THE TEEING GROUND
A. ON THE FIRST TEE
1. Know what markers your players are playing from in order to give them the proper yardage to each hole. You may
inquire whether any of your players know the golf course from playing before.
2. Place the golf bag, standing upright, just outside the right hand tee marker. Never leave a golf bag standing vertically
without holding onto it.

http://www.bngccp.com/uploads/Caddie_Manual.pdf Top of page 10 ( cant copy and paste it )

So anywhere on the right hand side but nowhere specific ;) :D

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A. ON THE FIRST TEE
1. Know what markers your players are playing from in order to give them the proper yardage to each hole. You may
2. Place the golf bag, standing upright, just outside the right hand tee marker. Never leave a golf bag standing vertically
without holding onto it.

http://www.bngccp.com/uploads/Caddie_Manual.pdf Top of page 10 ( cant copy and paste it )

So not only do I have to stand in the right place, I have to lie my bag down as well? That's a caddie manual, it isn't the etiquette for us normal golfers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Asked the question last night " Why are caddies trained to stand on the right of the tee block? " Any thoughts Ian ?

Honestly, I don't know or really care.
DfT states that etiquette dictates you stand in this area, let's call it 4 o'clock, as it is"the safest place should a club slip or break"
So there is less chance of a club slipping and hitting you at 4 o'clock than if you're stood at 8 o'clock...?
Really...?
Seriously...?

Caddies may be trained to stand there - if it's down to safety then it's simply not the case.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
On doing some research into why caddies go to the right hand side of a tee i did a google search.
On the first page there are links to manuals on how to be a caddy and your responsibilities etc etc . As to where to stand on the tee , the right hand side is generally favoured . That to me suggests some sort of historical significance.
And this link from 1921 http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/1920s/1921/2112246.pdf makes interesting reading

The link above refers to a publication from the US golf association and concerns where to place the sand box for players to use to tee up their balls, days before tees as we know them.Well worth the read.

Is this the historical standing place? Yes I think so given the training that caddies receive these days.

A. ON THE FIRST TEE
without holding onto it.

So cutting to the chase I believe this could be where the perceived " correct place to stand" comes from and why I was taught to stand there as were SILH, Snelly DfT and others.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do we really need another lengthy thread on this utterly unimportant guff?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

A. ON THE FIRST TEE
without holding onto it.

So not only do I have to stand in the right place, I have to lie my bag down as well? That's a caddie manual, it isn't the etiquette for us normal golfers

I've tried to point out where I'm coming from in another post but fear the heavy cold and tiredness might not have done it any favours, but what I'm getting at is that if it's good enough for professional caddies and professional players to stand there as they see it as the right place, as they are being considerate to their fellow pros, why is it such a hardship to emulate them.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Honestly, I don't know or really care.
DfT states that etiquette dictates you stand in this area, let's call it 4 o'clock, as it is"the safest place should a club slip or break"
So there is less chance of a club slipping and hitting you at 4 o'clock than if you're stood at 8 o'clock...?
Really...?
Seriously...?

Caddies may be trained to stand there - if it's down to safety then it's simply not the case.

Trying to get where the historical position to stand which I was taught, came from, this seems to me the most likely as it's being used by professional caddies and players today.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is certainly a possiblity.

On doing some research into why caddies go to the right hand side of a tee i did a google search.
On the first page there are links to manuals on how to be a caddy and your responsibilities etc etc . As to where to stand on the tee , the right hand side is generally favoured . That to me suggests some sort of historical significance.
And this link from 1921 http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/1920s/1921/2112246.pdf makes interesting reading
Great.

If we are expected to follow guidance from 1921, as a woman I most probably won't be allowed in the Clubhouse.
Neither would my grandfather, who was a Club Professional

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Interested as to why there are obviously two schools of thought on this when up until this thread started I never considered it.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great.

If we are expected to follow guidance from 1921, as a woman I most probably won't be allowed in the Clubhouse.
Neither would my grandfather, who was a Club Professional

No the game has rightly evolved since then, I'm interested in why there are two schools of thought and trying to find out where it all came from and why some us have been taught it and others not .

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site

Interested as to why there are obviously two schools of thought on this when up until this thread started I never considered it.

What's more interesting is that there appears to be only a tiny minority that have heard/used this 'historical' stand point.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

What's more interesting is that there appears to be only a tiny minority that have heard/used this 'historical' stand point.

On here yes but I have posted links to the fact that Arnold Palmer prefers it and I believe the professiona game adhears to it most of the time .

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the problem is - one school of thought is saying that everyone is wrong when there is zero rule to back up that theory - that school also has a grand total of 4 people taking lessons

Then we have the other school which follow the common sense angle and no set definition - that school appears to be everyone else on the forum plus everyone they have ever played with

Going by the power of numbers it appears that the first school are incorrect to state others are wrong in terms of both rules and etiquette

It appears that common sense is the winner and not things like "universally accepted position" or "historically natural standing position"

We are all adults and all can place ourselves on the tee both safely and being aware of our FC and being considerate of them and ensuring they are both quiet and still to ensure they don't disturb their FC :thup:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the problem is - one school of thought is saying that everyone is wrong when there is zero rule to back up that theory - that school also has a grand total of 4 people taking lessons

Then we have the other school which follow the common sense angle and no set definition - that school appears to be everyone else on the forum plus everyone they have ever played with

Going by the power of numbers it appears that the first school are incorrect to state others are wrong in terms of both rules and etiquette

It appears that common sense is the winner and not things like "universally accepted position" or "historically natural standing position"

We are all adults and all can place ourselves on the tee both safely and being aware of our FC and being considerate of them and ensuring they are both quiet and still to ensure they don't disturb their FC :thup:

Excellent post Phil, but I was taught that is was frowned upon not to go the right hand side of the tee and it has been a shock to learn that not everyone does/was taught this.

D

Deleted member 15344

And I was taught just be quiet and still on the tee with no set place :thup:

Neither us are wrong