Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Pistol Peter

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I must say after reading a lot of this and talking to a few golfers today ( low Cat 1 golfers ) then I needed to agree with SILH and the others and it's clear that most of the posters on here don't know much about etiquette.

Also must add the poll question is wrong, I would not say in front off you but opposite you as in front of you would be ahead of you and you would then be in danger of getting hit.

Last edited:

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must say after reading a lot of this and talking to a few golfers today ( low Cat 1 golfers ) then I needed to agree with SILH and the others and it's clear that most of the posters on here don't know much about etiquette.

Is that you DfT? You got yourself a new account?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe the breakdown in 'traditional standing position' has crept in since Artisan types have been allowed to infiltrate members Clubs. It's probably related in some way to denim trousers and shirts outside trousers!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that whoever makes the 1000th post should have to play a fourball with SILH, DfT & Snelly

I'll go for that. Could have loads of fun standing in the "wrong" place while they all tee off, while looking at my GPS device and whistling loudly.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe the breakdown in 'traditional standing position' has crept in since Artisan types have been allowed to infiltrate members Clubs. It's probably related in some way to denim trousers and shirts outside trousers!

Or perhaps since they stopped those daft frilly flappy things on the front of golf shoes.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I blame the architects personally, for building courses where the tee boxes mean you can't possibly comply with this rule of etiquette. I will be insisting tomorrow via the suggestions book that the club address this glaring defect in the course immediately or I might have to consider resigning my membership.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I'll open a new post if I may as I was not able to make a simple point on this matter before the thread was closed.

I was taught from a young age by some gnarled old Glasgow muni golfers that it is best and good etiquette to stand facing a player teeing off. And so that is what I do when others are teeing off - unless they ask me to move of course. And for me I like the same. I won't always ask a player to move if they are standing behind me - though I might feel a little uncomfortable as I can't see what they are up to or maybe about to do (that might cause me a distraction mid-swing). But I really don't like someone standing a the back of the tee looking down the fairway as I am about to tee off. Maybe that's just me. They are in my peripheral vision - I don't want them there, and so I will usually ask them to move.

All the subsequent discussion about what pros put up with when teeing off on the other thread was 'besides the point' as far as my post that seemed to kick it off was concerned.

If you think you can stand wherever you want in vicinity to me when I am playing then that is entirely up to you - but be aware that I will ask you to move if I don;t like where you stand and will be well p*****d off with you if you don't. Basic golfing etiquette and respect for your fellow golfers.

Mods - you can now close this if you wish now that I have clarified my statement.

Ta

If you stood in front of me youd be told to shift, you have [plenty of places to stand without trying to create distractions, if you wanted me to stand in front of you that would be your choice but its viewed as extremely bad etiquette to do so by myself and EVERYONE i have ever played with.

And my dad played for over 30 years and is dead 11 years this May and was a Council member at the club for over 10 years, a club that had an extremely long waiting list back then too.

Out of peripheral vision and quiet as soon as I put the tee into the ground is the most important for everyone i know.

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Also must add the poll question is wrong, I would not say in front off you but opposite you as in front of you would be ahead of you and you would then be in danger of getting hit.

why? did the cat1 players all say keep still and quiet and ideally opposite the player irrespective of where the path is, their bags, the last green, the physical parameters of the tee?

That, and your next para is being deliberately obtuse imo

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Or perhaps since they stopped those daft frilly flappy things on the front of golf shoes.

At least those daft frilly flappy things kept the water out of your shoes. My current shoes are quite water resistant, but they seem to let water in through the lace holes when it's very wet.