• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

thepodgster

Head Pro
Visit site
Well this thread covered our conversation yesterday for a good few holes whilst I was there playing away in my football shirt, tucked out of course and learning from the two professionals I was playing with!

So we decided to implement this etiquette thingy that some people talk about on here. Me being left handed made it fun, gave my two playing partners their fix of PT for the day as they constantly had to walk from one side of the T box to the other, although I think the best bit was on our 17th when they had to stand cuddled up to each other on a post in the stream to prevent them getting wet and making sure they kept quiet at the same time.

Personally the only thing that matters is they are quiet as you should be in the zone with your shot enough that it doesn't matter where they are and what they are doing (hand signals etc).

Now what top to wear whilst playing today.....................

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must say after reading a lot of this and talking to a few golfers today ( low Cat 1 golfers ) then I needed to agree with SILH and the others and it's clear that most of the posters on here don't know much about etiquette.

Also must add the poll question is wrong, I would not say in front off you but opposite you as in front of you would be ahead of you and you would then be in danger of getting hit.
Again- adopt this convention if you wish, but don't criticise the etiquette of those that don't. As long as they are quiet and still, they are perfectly OK.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must say after reading a lot of this and talking to a few golfers today ( low Cat 1 golfers ) then I needed to agree with SILH and the others and it's clear that most of the posters on here don't know much about etiquette.

Also must add the poll question is wrong, I would not say in front off you but opposite you as in front of you would be ahead of you and you would then be in danger of getting hit.

I love the way that referring to Cat 1 players (or captains/ committee members) somehow adds some credence to a point.

I'm going to use those criteria:

Played yesterday, group of 8. H'cap spread was +1 - 5. 3 county players, 1 of which plays for the RAF too. Two former club captains, 3 former and 1 current A team captain(s). And approx 15 years of committee service between us all. Age range from 27 - 58.

Not a concern about where to stand to be seen.

Safe & out the way................yet again seems to be correct.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is stupid, ignorant, uneducated etc etc.

Ps I don't believe that last bit at all

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
At least those daft frilly flappy things kept the water out of your shoes. My current shoes are quite water resistant, but they seem to let water in through the lace holes when it's very wet.

Carry a load of blue tack in your bag, once your shoes are on block the holes with it :)

I'm sending that one to Viz magazine.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
No it is not me and may I suggest that the 'bully boys' show a some respect to the views expressed by a newish poster.
Perhaps the mods need to be more alert to this.
As I said I am out of here until sanity is restored.

And may I suggest that the "old guard" show some respect to those with more "modern" ways of thinking.

Anyway I read it as an attempt at humour .....

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I'd certainly be confused as to why you'd be using a GPS device when standing on the tee ;)

I'm often using my GPS when on the tee. It gives me distances to whatever hazards there maybe or carries required to cover them, very useful indeed and, ultimately, it saves time too!

Slime.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm often using my GPS when on the tee. It gives me distances to whatever hazards there maybe or carries required to cover them, very useful indeed and, ultimately, it saves time too!

Slime.

Don't put another bee in his bonnet!!!!

The saying about old dogs does not always ring true

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Slime.

I was thinking about a GPS telling you where you are on the course :)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
There being etiquette that you don't need to know seems to be a view held by some.

We will agree to differ.

I'm confident that - apart from you- my regular playing partners have no problem with my good etiquette, thank you very much.

However if you and I were ever to play together, I would of course stand facing you on every hole, without you having to ask me.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a correct place to stand? I do not know or care as long as they are quite and not annoying me. At Spalding you can't always stand infront of someone.

Take Spalding GC, you are forced to stand in certain positions others may find annoying.
1st stand behind
2nd stood looking down the line of the swing
9th behind
11th behind
13th behind
14th behind
15th behind

those positions are forced by the course layout. it is posible to stand infront on all those holes, but that would mean one of a few things. Standing in bushes, standing in deep rough or intefeering with another hole, or just having to stand too close.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there a correct place to stand? I do not know or care as long as they are quite and not annoying me. At Spalding you can't always stand infront of someone.

Take Spalding GC, you are forced to stand in certain positions others may find annoying.
1st stand behind
2nd stood looking down the line of the swing
9th behind
11th behind
13th behind
14th behind
15th behind

those positions are forced by the course layout. it is posible to stand infront on all those holes, but that would mean one of a few things. Standing in bushes, standing in deep rough or intefeering with another hole, or just having to stand too close.

Same as the majority of our courses I would imagine mate.