Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Where Playing Partners Stand when I tee off POLL

Because most club golfers will have the good sense to stand in a safe position when someone is driving, not one that will put them in danger.

I didn't see that option listed, and none the options stated that anyone would be in danger.

In fact the only time I've ever seen anyone in danger on the tee was when a ball hit a tree about 20 yards to the left of the tee and rebounded straight back at the tee!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Because most club golfers will have the good sense to stand in a safe position when someone is driving, not one that will put them in danger.

As I obviously have no good sense and am therefore an ignorant player, can you please enlighten me as to why standing anywhere behind the tee blocks, at a distance that keeps you out of range of the swinging club, is more or less safe than another...?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

As I obviously have no good sense and am therefore an ignorant player, can you please enlighten me as to why standing anywhere behind the tee blocks, at a distance that keeps you out of range of the swinging club, is more or less safe than another...?

Keep up that was mentioned about 400 posts ago.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Sorry must have missed it.....
Save me the trouble of trawling...please..?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Really? Is your opinion that there is ONLY one position to stand that is safe, and all other positions are dangerous?

Nope wrong again

Hogan said HE always tries to stand there and I said that historically that was where golfers were taught to stand as it was deemed the safest place.

Imurg...clubs slipping out of grips, loose heads, broken shafts.
In the 1960/70's when glue was first used and was nowhere near as good as todays stuff clubheads flying off shafts happened a fair bit
Untreated leather grips were also slippy when dry or wet.

Last edited:

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Nope wrong again

Hogan said HE always tries to stand there and I said that historically that was where golfers were taught to stand as it was deemed the safest place.

Imurg...clubs slipping out of grips, loose heads, broken shafts.
In the 1960/70's when glue was first used and was nowhere near as good as todays stuff clubheads flying off shafts happened a fair bit
Untreated leather grips were also slippy when dry or wet.

Then surely standing behind the ball looking down the fairway is the safest place to stand.

When clubs slip out of hands or heads come off the only places I have seen them go is either sideways or forwards.

D

Deleted member 15344

Most ( if not all ) would - you are correct.

That didn't answer my question though because no has stated they wouldn't stand in a safe place so I'm confused

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Then surely standing behind the ball looking down the fairway is the safest place to stand.

When clubs slip out of hands or heads come off the only places I have seen them go is either sideways or forwards.

Sorry but I was not born when these 'traditions' were installed.
Please remember that hickory was the shaft of the day then.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

I see.
We should stand face to face with the player because 40 years ago bits flew off golf clubs...

So is the preferred position to shpw respect to driving player or for our own protection?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After spending the last few days digesting this thread it was finally time to see where we actually stood in the comp today. 3 right handers and a lefty in the group and the preferred positions seemed to be roughly 5 and 7 o'clock. FWIW I have been playing about 10 years and have never heard anyone at the club discuss where to stand on the tee.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Most ( if not all ) would - you are correct.

That didn't answer my question though because no has stated they wouldn't stand in a safe place so I'm confused

Phil...........I think I was the only poster who mentioned safety, most folk were too busy being abusive or trying to make poor jokes.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not terribly relevant these days.

I wonder why so many golf courses were designed totally ignoring the requirement to stand this position?

The old courses did as they generally had lots of room. Very few courses have their original tees as committees pushed them further back to accommodate forum hitters.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
After spending the last few days digesting this thread it was finally time to see where we actually stood in the comp today. 3 right handers and a lefty in the group and the preferred positions seemed to be roughly 5 and 7 o'clock. FWIW I have been playing about 10 years and have never heard anyone at the club discuss where to stand on the tee.

thats because it's common sense and needs no discussion :rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a short game lesson this morning. We spent the first 15 minutes learning the correct position to observe a FC playing their approach onto the green. This must NEVER be confused as being the same position or angle as the tee shot even when the balls lie in close proximity and attention must be taken of the surrounding lie, and the amount of elevation involved in placing two feet together in apposition to maintain an upright posture.

Only once I had mastered this was I allowed anywhere near a golf ball

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil...........I think I was the only poster who mentioned safety, most folk were too busy being abusive or trying to make poor jokes.

Ok but let's go back to your inital statement - you said that the poll highlights that this forum isn't representive of uk golfers ? Still unsure why when the poll answers highlight every single person I have played golf with in the past 4 years

So why exactly do you think what you suggested ?