• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I'm going to be the only member not to post on this thread........damn - just failed.

Having read through all the posts here (so yes, you know I'm a liar already).......
Standing facing the player........ IS a convention, IS NOT universal, IS a sensible place to stand on around 50% of the holes you play, IS NOT as important as being out of eyeline, still and quiet.

On a trip, we once put the four left handers out in the first group for a laugh. To a man, they all said their heads were cabbaged by the 4th as none of them knew where to stand.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be the only member not to post on this thread........damn - just failed.

Having read through all the posts here (so yes, you know I'm a liar already).......
Standing facing the player........ IS a convention, IS NOT universal, IS a sensible place to stand on around 50% of the holes you play, IS NOT as important as being out of eyeline, still and quiet.

On a trip, we once put the four left handers out in the first group for a laugh. To a man, they all said their heads were cabbaged by the 4th as none of them knew where to stand.
I think you'll find that being able to see you is one of things that SILH wants .... don't go hiding !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But that isn't all you've said is it though SILH. You were using terms like universally accepted and the correct place to stand And implying that those of us that stood elsewhere were wrong or ignorant of etiquette.

But as far as I was aware this was universally accepted as being the correct place to stand. I honestly didn't realise that there were swathes of folks out there who had never heard of this. I am now getting a feeling that most who have never heard of it are 'more recent' golfers - and of course if the folk they have learnt the game and etiquette from and whom they play with have also never heard of it then the 'ignorance' is perpetuated. And this does seem to be the case.

(and before anyone leaps on me for use of 'ignorance' please read it as in 'not knowing')

...and surely - when it comes down to it - the best place to stand is the place you are least likely to be asked to move from - and as quite a few agree - this is facing your FC whenever practical. So surely best just to stand there rather than elsewhere that might discomfort a player - though he may not tell you.

Last edited:

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
...and surely - when it comes down to it - the best place to stand is the place you are least likely to be asked to move from - and as quite a few agree - this is facing your FC whenever practical. So surely best just to stand there rather than elsewhere that might discomfort a player - though he may not tell you.

To me it comes down to this "whenever practical"... I've never seen anyone crossing the teeing ground to stand infront of the player, or switch when a left-hander comes on. I stand next to my bag on the path, which is either in front or behind the player (rarely down the line). So I wouldn't say "whenever practical".... It's not practical, or more importantly worth it, to be trapsing across teeing grounds on 50% of holes.

PS If there was a path down both sides of the teeing area I would head for the one that brought be infront of a right hander...

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
I love playing when it's sunny. I usually stand with the sun behind me, and as the other player is addressing the ball I move my driver up and down behind his back so that the shadow keeps going across his ball. Or leave the headcover on and do "pointy" things with the shadow just in front of his ball.
This is why I don't play in the winter as it's normally cloudy and there is nothing else to do to piss him off other than jangle keys, tees or markers in your pocket.
It's called "gamesmanship" and it's turned the tide in many a game I've played in.

Post of the thread.... :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But as far as I was aware this was universally accepted as being the correct place to stand. I honestly didn't realise that there were swathes of folks out there who had never heard of this. I am now getting a feeling that most who have never heard of it are 'more recent' golfers - and of course if the folk they have learnt the game and etiquette from and whom they play with have also never heard of it then the 'ignorance' is perpetuated. And this does seem to be the case.

(and before anyone leaps on me for use of 'ignorance' please read it as in 'not knowing')

But in an effort to keep the thread going you'd rather use the word ignorance and 16 more explaining why you've used it as opposed to just using two and saying not knowing which is less likely to inflame things!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But in an effort to keep the thread going you'd rather use the word ignorance and 16 more explaining why you've used it as opposed to just using two and saying not knowing which is less likely to inflame things!

Sorry - if you don't know something you are ignorant of it - that does not mean you are ignorant in a pejorative sense. Sorry but this is what I mean by me feeling like a dad talking to a teenager.

And in response to @Allanxyz - yes - odd as you might think - I do walk from one side of the tee to the other if a left hander follows a right hander or vice versa - and it takes no time as I do it as one player walks off the tee and the next on to it.

And because I take the club I am going to use with me then I don't have to go back to my bag to get it. That's me thinking ahead, deciding on my shot, deciding on my club, taking it with me and hence being prepared to play without any delay at all.

I note that IMO adhering to etiquette is always worth it.

We disagree whether standing facing your FC is etiquette. You don't - I do.

Last edited:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
516 replies

all about where to stand still when someones teeing off.

If it wasn't so funny it would be sad:rolleyes:

And yet you have posted on it 11 times. Which I find ironic when you are trying to be sanctimonious. :rolleyes:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
And because I take the club I am going to use with me then I don't have to go back to my bag to get it. That's me thinking ahead, deciding on my shot, deciding on my club, taking it with me and hence being prepared to play without any delay at all

Do you take your laser/DMD with you too? :whistle:

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And in response to @Allanxyz - yes - odd as you might think - I do walk from one side of the tee to the other if a left hander follows a right hander or vice versa - and it takes no time as I do it as one player walks off the tee and the next on to it.

Please don't take offence to this, but are you serious that you actually do this on a regular basis? If a right hander plays, then followed by a leftie, you will walk to the other side of the tee-box in between their tee shots? And when you do this do the other members of your group follow you, or just remain where they are?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
And yet you have posted on it 11 times. Which I find ironic when you are trying to be sanctimonious. :rolleyes:

Yep don't feed it.......doh:eek:

I've read some pointless threads in my time on here, none beat this!!!

Before anyone says.. 'Well don't read it', it's like a car crash, I can't help myself

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
<snipped>

I note that IMO adhering to etiquette is always worth it.

We disagree whether standing facing your FC is etiquette. You don't - I do.

Earlier on you insisted that the most important thing was to do/stand where the person driving wants, and even though a lot of people aren't really bothered where others stand while waiting, they should be aware of what the player on the tee desires.

I personally would find it off putting if others were wandering from one side of the tee to the other, so that I had PPs at my back and my front. I'd prefer that others choose a side and stuck to it.

If I and my left handed FC asked that you stuck to one side of the tee, would you do so, or would "doing the right thing" prevail?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Yep don't feed it.......doh:eek:

I've read some pointless threads in my time on here, none beat this!!!

Before anyone says.. 'Well don't read it', it's like a car crash, I can't help myself

I have not read it so tell me it is not 56 pages on where people stand when someone is teeing off?