• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I beg to differ, there are many posts on here saying it is OK to stand on the tee behind the player.

Sorry, once again I am using the historic golfing meaning of 'behind the player'.
It means standing on the tee when the player is playing, looking directly down the fairway.

This wording has probably caused great confusion on this thread.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Out of interest.
If this was a thread on archery where one of the rules was 'do not stand behind the archer' when he/she is releasing the arrow.

Where would you position yourself ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hawkeye it is the same thing.
Unless you can a explain it differently?

The R&A are very careful in the rules to describe the position you refer to as "behind the player" as either "behind the ball" or "on the extension of the line of play". Presumably this is to avoid confusion as to what is meant by "behind the player". SilH also makes it clear in post 1 that by "behind him" he means "behind his back".

Regardless of the defination of "behind", the fact still remains that nowhere in the rules of golf does it say that you should stand facing the player who is teeing off.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love playing when it's sunny. I usually stand with the sun behind me, and as the other player is addressing the ball I move my driver up and down behind his back so that the shadow keeps going across his ball. Or leave the headcover on and do "pointy" things with the shadow just in front of his ball.
This is why I don't play in the winter as it's normally cloudy and there is nothing else to do to piss him off other than jangle keys, tees or markers in your pocket.
It's called "gamesmanship" and it's turned the tide in many a game I've played in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do we all agree on the following.......
1. It's not a good idea to stand behind the ball looking down the line unless asked to.
2. Sometimes in certain circumstances it's acceptable to stand facing the players back.
3. When certain circumstances allow, most players will stand facing the players front or slightly behind.

Absolutely. And all I have ever said is that (3) is what I was taught to do whenever I could. The difference I guess is that I came to understand that it was expected by my PPs that I would stand as in (3) whenever I could - and so that is what I do. As an aside I take the club I expect to use with me so no faffing about going back to my bag to get a club when it's my turn to play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry, once again I am using the historic golfing meaning of 'behind the player'.
It means standing on the tee when the player is playing, looking directly down the fairway.

This wording has probably caused great confusion on this thread.

..because historically no-one would ever even consider standing behind someone's back when they are playing? :)

(and 'behind' implies relatively close proximity)

I'm kidding, honest...

Actually I feel a bit like a parent trying to suggest to his stroppy teenager that it would be best if he did something - as in the past it has been found to be 'for the best'. But this is something that he doesn't see the need to do and doesn't actually want to do. And so he finds every excuse and reason under the sun for avoiding or not doing it or for telling me I am wrong and picking holes in what I say.

Quite funny really

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes in Golf to me behind the player is the same as Hawkeyes behind the ball. Behind him/her means looking at the players back.

Times change, the world moves on so we are all correct [except the numpties who state that they stand wherever they like].

A few years ago I did the Clubgolf kids coaching classes and really struggled with the different terms used.
Eg, put your right hand on the handle and show me your hold.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes in Golf to me behind the player is the same as Hawkeyes behind the ball. Behind him/her means looking at the players back.

Times change, the world moves on so we are all correct [except the numpties who state that they stand wherever they like].

A few years ago I did the Clubgolf kids coaching classes and really struggled with the different terms used.
Eg, put your right hand on the handle and show me your hold.

I feel with some here with this we may be 'pissing into the wind' - and IMO it's an 'ill wind'

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
okie doke this is chugging on nicely!

To quote snelly, "people are inexorably stupid".

The evidence out there suggests this is true. For some reason it is not uncommon for "may contain nuts" to be printed on the back of a packet of peanuts.

When motorways were first introduced to the uk, there were pamphlets and informational videos produced telling people that the middle grass verge of a motorway is not a good place to stop and have a picnic.

These golden nuggets of information have appeared in the last 100years even after most of us have been educated to a certain standard.

To bring this back to my point. When golf was invented, people were not as educated (debateable) as we are today. When those first golfers stepped onto a course it was brand new. it would seem appropriate that you would lay down at least some ground rules on this matter to keep everyone happy and most importantly, safe. The vast majority of people today that are not taught to play as children have seen golf on the magic picture box. They observe pros in their natural environment and without knowing it, they are influenced on how to behave on a tee box. If they have not, within about 5 minutes of playing with proper golfers they will pick up the dos and don'ts through observation.

additionally, in times gone by, the equipment was not made to todays great standards (again debateable TM ;). It was, I would guess more likely that an iron head would fly off or hickory shaft would give in. If you got a smack back then you just got hit. These days its insurance companies and lawsuits.

In summary, I have no doubt that some kind of guideline was in place to keep people safe as any idiot could play as long as he was rich. Some of these practices will have been passed down. Like everything, these practices get twisted through time. Now the emphasis is on keeping up with the pace of play, not going through a whole rigmarole every time a four ball gets on a tee box.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
okie doke this is chugging on nicely!

To quote snelly, "people are inexorably stupid".

The evidence out there suggests this is true. For some reason it is not uncommon for "may contain nuts" to be printed on the back of a packet of peanuts.

When motorways were first introduced to the uk, there were pamphlets and informational videos produced telling people that the middle grass verge of a motorway is not a good place to stop and have a picnic.

These golden nuggets of information have appeared in the last 100years even after most of us have been educated to a certain standard.

To bring this back to my point. When golf was invented, people were not as educated (debateable) as we are today. When those first golfers stepped onto a course it was brand new. it would seem appropriate that you would lay down at least some ground rules on this matter to keep everyone happy and most importantly, safe. The vast majority of people today that are not taught to play as children have seen golf on the magic picture box. They observe pros in their natural environment and without knowing it, they are influenced on how to behave on a tee box. If they have not, within about 5 minutes of playing with proper golfers they will pick up the dos and don'ts through observation.

additionally, in times gone by, the equipment was not made to todays great standards (again debateable TM ;). It was, I would guess more likely that an iron head would fly off or hickory shaft would give in. If you got a smack back then you just got hit. These days its insurance companies and lawsuits.

In summary, I have no doubt that some kind of guideline was in place to keep people safe as any idiot could play as long as he was rich. Some of these practices will have been passed down. Like everything, these practices get twisted through time. Now the emphasis is on keeping up with the pace of play, not going through a whole rigmarole every time a four ball gets on a tee box.

I agree.gif

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely. And all I have ever said is that (3) is what I was taught to do whenever I could. The difference I guess is that I came to understand that it was expected by my PPs that I would stand as in (3) whenever I could - and so that is what I do. As an aside I take the club I expect to use with me so no faffing about going back to my bag to get a club when it's my turn to play.

But that isn't all you've said is it though SILH. You were using terms like universally accepted and the correct place to stand And implying that those of us that stood elsewhere were wrong or ignorant of etiquette.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
garry
I think the 'many golfers today were not taught as children' just about sums up this thread.

not everyone has that luxury I am afraid!

a lot of the time you can only be as good as the teaching.

maybe when this is all said and done and moved onto thread page 2, we can all step back and think we may have learned something from this. if not, at least we had some fun! :thup:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
garry
I think the 'many golfers today were not taught as children' just about sums up this thread.

The problem with that argument is, like many things these days, if you want to learn about something, you look it up, usually on the Internet and in the case of golf, at the R&A website. The R&A website categorically doesn't say that you should stand facing the player tee-ing off, you may not like it, but it doesn't.

I have no doubt that some people were told that you should indeed stand facing the player, I have no doubt that they believe this to be the correct place but I also have no doubt that there is no evidence to suggest that anyone who doesn't do this is wrong. Calling people stupid because they follow the guidelines of the governing body and not what someone tells them on an Internet forum is at best rude and at worst arrogant.

As I said before, if SilH & others hadn't claimed "universal acceptance" of his opinion and that people who don't stand facing the player are breaking etiquette are standing in the wrong place, this thread wouldn't have escalated the way it has. If SilH or anyone else wants to stand facing the player then that's up to them, it's their choice and I have no problem with it. But they shouldn't come on here claiming that their opinion is the correct etiquette when the etiquette issued by the governing body does not back up this opinion.

And I'm out.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The problem with that argument is, like many things these days, if you want to learn about something, you look it up, usually on the Internet and in the case of golf, at the R&A website. The R&A website categorically doesn't say that you should stand facing the player tee-ing off, you may not like it, but it doesn't.

I have no doubt that some people were told that you should indeed stand facing the player, I have no doubt that they believe this to be the correct place but I also have no doubt that there is no evidence to suggest that anyone who doesn't do this is wrong. Calling people stupid because they follow the guidelines of the governing body and not what someone tells them on an Internet forum is at best rude and at worst arrogant.

As I said before, if SilH & others hadn't claimed "universal acceptance" of his opinion and that people who don't stand facing the player are breaking etiquette are standing in the wrong place, this thread wouldn't have escalated the way it has. If SilH or anyone else wants to stand facing the player then that's up to them, it's their choice and I have no problem with it. But they shouldn't come on here claiming that their opinion is the correct etiquette when the etiquette issued by the governing body does not back up this opinion.

And I'm out.

I agree.gif

Again :smirk:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
when space and time is not an issue we will all face the player as its a human thing to do and also gives the best view!