• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This has to be a forum record for the most pages in the shortest time. Lets keep it going..... What do you folks think about 28 handicapers hitting 300 yard drives ? :D

Seriously though I think when a pp is on the tee you stay quiet and no fidgeting. If my pp said " any chance you can shift? Your putting me off?" then no problem. however, when i'm on the tee I have no problems with pp's talking, laughing or moving about.doesnt putt me off at all. this makes my pp's laugh though as when i'm on the fairway I can't have a pp's ball in my view. Makes my eyes wonder

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
in that video, there is no tee box behind him to stand on. he HAS to move and correct me if I am wrong, but he goes and stands next to his bag.

if I can I will face someone to look at their swing. In the real world im probably rooting (quietly) in my bag for a tee or drink, pausing as they address the ball and hit. sometimes i'm caught in a silly statue pose as to not disturb the man on the tee. Other times im standing in the universally accepted position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can't believe the Jackson Pollocks on here. I have never knowingly worried about where I stand, other than to ensure my shadow doesn't encroach the area the FC is using. Other than that I stand where I like, keep still and keep quiet. I can honestly say by using this simple Homer approach (patent pending) I have never been asked to move in memory. All this crap about convention etc is rubbish. I was taught etiquette by the likes of Dan Maskell who knew a thing or too about decorum and upbringing. He never once said it was "convention" or had to be done in a certain way other than to do what I still do as above.

If I was being perfectly blunt and you were being so OCD about where you wanted me to stand I would suggest this would filter into other areas and if I'm honest I think there are probably more enjoyable partners to play with and I wouldn't be rushing to repeat the experience

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm going to be so paranoid now the next time I walk on the 1st tee, where we all usually stand still on the path BEHIND the person (his back) driving and then walk onto the tee block after he's duffed it ;) I'm going to walk past him whilst he's setting up over to the other side but, I have a feeling I will be told to get lost!!

V

vkurup

When playing in the States, I had the urge to shout 'Mashed Potato' when my partner drives. Should there be a distinction in the standing area between those who shout and those who are just watching.

Shouters.. stand behind the player
Watchers... facing the player

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be so paranoid now the next time I walk on the 1st tee, where we all usually stand still on the path BEHIND the person (his back) driving and then walk onto the tee block after he's duffed it ;) I'm going to walk past him whilst he's setting up over to the other side but, I have a feeling I will be told to get lost!!

I think there is going to be some fun on the next raft of forum meets.........:)

D

Deleted member 17920

When playing in the States, I had the urge to shout 'Mashed Potato' when my partner drives. Should there be a distinction in the standing area between those who shout and those who are just watching.

Shouters.. stand behind the player
Watchers... facing the player
Bloody brilliant pmsl :rofl:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there is going to be some fun on the next raft of forum meets.........:)

Exactly. If some people get stressed by PP's standing in the wrong place, just think how bad they're gonna be with Scouser stood behind them shouting out his Elephant story... There could be violence...:D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From the piece by Palmer (linked provided in an earlier post)

There are a hundred bits of etiquette I haven't mentioned, like laying the flagstick down carefully, tamping down spike marks when you're walking off a green, letting faster groups play through, and so on. All of these things are learned by observing, with a sharp eye and a considerate heart. Just know that golf has a way of returning favors, and every piece of etiquette you practice will be repaid tenfold

I wonder what Arnold would say to me or think of me if I commented that as I had never seen 'a hundred bits of etiquette' written down anywhere and because of that those that I hadn't heard of didn't count for me. I wonder what he'd say if I said that he was being anal and an a**e bothering about all that supposed etiquette stuff that I hadn't seen or heard of. I wonder.

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
From the piece by Palmer (linked provided in an earlier post)
I wonder what Arnold would say to me or think of me if I commented that as I had never seen 'a hundred bits of etiquette' written down anywhere and because of that those that I hadn't heard of didn't count for me. I wonder what he'd say if I said that he was being anal and an a**e bothering about all that supposed etiquette stuff that I hadn't seen or heard of. I wonder.

He'd probably say "Can you pipe down, I'm preparing myself to pipe one down the middle... Oh and can you move 2 steps to the right please old chap..."

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder what Arnold would say to me or think of me if I commented that as I had never seen 'a hundred bits of etiquette' written down anywhere and because of that those that I hadn't heard of didn't count for me.

Well these that are written down in the R&A Rules aren't a bad start.....

1) Before leaving a bunker, players should carefully fill up and smooth over all holes and footprints made by them and any nearby made by others
2) Players should carefully repair any divot holes made by them and any damage to the putting green made by the impact of a ball
3) On completion of the hole by all players in the group, damage to the putting green caused by golf shoes should be repaired.
4) Players should avoid causing damage to the course by removing divots when taking practice swings or by hitting the head of a club into the ground, whether in anger or for any other reason.
5) Players should ensure that no damage is done to the putting green when putting down bags or the flagstick.
6)
In order to avoid damaging the hole, players and caddies should not stand too close to the hole and should take care during the handling of the flagstick and the removal of a ball from the hole.
7)The head of a club should not be used to remove a ball from the hole.
8)
Players should not lean on their clubs when on the putting green, particularly when removing the ball from the hole.
9) The flagstick should be properly replaced in the hole before the players leave the putting green.
10) Local notices regulating the movement of golf carts should be strictly observed.
11) You should always play at a good pace.
12)The committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.
13) It's a group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front.
14) If they lose a clear hole and delay the group behind, they should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group.
15) Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, they should also invite the faster moving group to overtake them.

16) You should always show consideration for other players on the course and take care not to not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.
17) You should also ensure that any electronic devices taken onto the course don't distract other players.
17) Only tee your ball up when it's your turn to play
18) Remember not to stand close to the ball, directly behind it, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to swing.
19)
On the putting green, you should be careful not stand on another player’s line of putt or, when he is putting, cast a shadow over his line.
20) And you should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.
21)
In stroke play, if you're acting as a marker, on the way to the next tee you should, if necessary, check the score with the player concerned and record it.
22)
Ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing.
23) Wait until the players in front are out of range.
24) Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them.
25)
If your ball's heading in a direction where there is a danger of it hitting someone, shout a warning immediately.The traditional word of warning is “fore”.

And I'm guessing that if I can find 25 in a quick 5 minute google then there are probably more than 100 written down and Mr Palmer would probably suggest to you that you go and read them all rather than making up your own rules on what is considered to be universally accepted or good etiquette.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But note the crucial point in what what Palmer said...

All of these things are learned by observing, with a sharp eye and a considerate heart.

Nothing about etiquette having to be written down in that bit of advice.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

All of these things are learned by observing, with a sharp eye and a considerate heart.

But, by the same logic, just because it isn't written down, doesn't make it right...;)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I observe people standing on the side of the tee from which it is approached every single time I play. I have never seen anyone deliberately walk across the tee so as to be facing the player, they pretty much always stay by their bag. I have also never been told where to stand or even until this thread thought about it or had a look to see if it is written anywhere. I have just done as I observe and used a bit of common sense, the fact I have never been asked to move tells me that my etiquette is OK.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do so many folk have a problem with No18 on the etiquitte list.
In my entire golfing life only a handful of 'golfers' have ever stood there when on the tee and I would consider them to be either dim or rude if they did.