• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So you don't like me standing out of site behind you in case I make a noise that you weren't expecting ... But your ok with me standing opposite you out of sight (I assume you want me out of your sight here) were you clearly think it's not possible to make a noise?

I'm going to ignore the flying club etc as that just seems too incredible for me to contemplate.

Yes - standing facing me you are not out of sight - I know exactly where you are and what you are doing :)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
exactly, if you guys are telling me hand on heart you always stand facing your fc then I doff my cap to you. otherwise please dismount from those high horses!

Garry and others of that ilk.......... NOBODY is saying that.

PS I liked your earlier thread.

PPS I have seen a few snapped shafts, flying clubheads and slipped grips in my time. Not recently though.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just did an unrepresentative survey of one golfer (my 21 yr old lad - very, very occasional player these days). I asked him where he would stand if I was teeing off. His answer. "facing you - level or just back a bit (towards the back of the tee)" I asked him if he'd stand behind me (looking at my back) - his reply "well obviously not as you might feel uncomfortable with me standing there". What about towards the back of the tee looking down my line "nah - unless you wanted me to watch where your shot went"

That's my boy :)

The funniest part about this is that it isn't the weakest piece of supporting evidence you've put forward :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes - standing facing me you are not out of sight - I know exactly where you are and what you are doing :)

Why are you worrying about what people standing around you are doing? You should be concentrating on playing the shot not on the possibility that someone will make a noise and put you off....

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am truly staggered by this thread. WOW.

As as long as you're giving me enough room and aren't in my eye line, stand where you like, couldn't care less. At our place, from casual observations, everyone stands looking down the fairway, at the back of the tee. CONTROVERSIAL!!! Or, who gives a toss??

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you were as adamant and particular on the course as you have been in this thread I'd probably be standing facing you just out of your peripheral vision making a "shaking coffee beans" hand gesture towards you. ;)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If you were as adamant and particular on the course as you have been in this thread I'd probably be standing facing you just out of your peripheral vision making a "shaking coffee beans" hand gesture towards you. ;)

Tissues required, wet key board has ensued from spitting out tea :rofl:

D

Deleted member 17920

I am truly staggered by this thread. WOW.

As as long as you're giving me enough room and aren't in my eye line, stand where you like, couldn't care less. At our place, from casual observations, everyone stands looking down the fairway, at the back of the tee. CONTROVERSIAL!!! Or, who gives a toss??
I finally agree on this thread! Well said

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
And Mr Arnold Palmer has a view on this too :thup:
http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/arniesrules

V. Be a silent partner

During one of my last tour events as a player, I noticed another pro making practice swings in my field of vision as I was getting ready to hit a shot. I stopped, walked over and reminded him (maybe too sternly) that it was my turn to play. The point is, stand still from the time a player sets himself until the ball has left the club.

Even with the advent of spikeless shoes, the etiquette rule of never walking in someone's line of play on the putting green is an absolute. The area around the hole in particular is sacred ground. The first thing to note when you walk onto a green is the location of every ball in your group, then steer clear of their lines to the hole.

Know where to stand and when to keep quiet. Position yourself directly across or at a diagonal from a player setting up. Never stand on the line of play, either beyond the hole or directly behind the ball. When a player is about to hit a shot, think of the fairway as a cathedral, the green a library.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/arniesrules#ixzz2ppryZUU5

D

Deleted member 15344

Has anyone produced a diagram yet to ensure the uneducated amongst us are corrected ?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not bollox IMO - anyway I completely agree with your summary about where you would stand. Why? Because as you say - in the first instance...

..and that is all there is to it - you know the most appropriate place to stand - if you can.

There just seem to be many who don't think they need do this when in days past it was accepted (or call it convention, respect, etiquette, best practice, courtesy - all amounts to the same thing) as being what you did.

And I am afraid that I can't really do anything but 'stand my ground' because I can't deny either what I was taught or what I have observed and experienced over the years. If folk these days want to say that that was all a load of tosh and think that it's OK to stand where they want - then that is their prerogative. I just think they are mistaken in their thinking and have only been trying to suggest what they might think about doing as a better alternative.

The last bit is what stirs up all this nonsense SILH.

You are trying to force your opinion on people as correct, by saying things like "suggest what they might think about as a BETTER alternative." It's not necessarily better or worse, just an alternative and a choice, within reason.

Most people on this thread are, to varying degrees, agreeing with you but you still persist with your fairly patronising I know best attitude.

When your neighbour suggested an alternative to you blaring your music out I seem to recall you being up in arms about it, no?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The last bit is what stirs up all this nonsense SILH.

You are trying to force your opinion on people as correct, by saying things like "suggest what they might think about as a BETTER alternative." It's not necessarily better or worse, just an alternative and a choice, within reason.

Most people on this thread are, to varying degrees, agreeing with you but you still persist with your fairly patronising I know best attitude.

When your neighbour suggested an alternative to you blaring your music out I seem to recall you being up in arms about it, no?

I agree.gif