• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always try and stand facing my fc - always. If it is not practical for me to do so I will stand elsewhere well out of the way.

And that is what everyone else does too - if practicable.

Eg - I am at my bag 15yds behind you away from the tee. Lets all wait for Robo to get in the right position or just peg it up and go?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you be OK if someone stood to the side, but 5 yards behind you? So they weren't stood on the line of intended target, but they were stood out of sight, quietly, without moving.
No problem. It is just standing directly behind. I feel they are lining up my shot.and it makes me nervous.:mad:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems not. As my insistence that it was good etiquette to stand facing the player teeing off (unless impractical) has been roundly dismissed - which really surprised me.

You've chosen to miss out a big chunk of my post. It's that part which people are finding ridiculous in your argument

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you played with me and stood behind me on the tee without being asked to (hitting into a low sun is the only time I would) I would ask you to move. I am just uncomfortable with some one standing there. From memory I can't remember ever having to do so, so presumably most golfers do know where to stand. When I started playing in the 70's everyone stood to the side, so it is what I feel comfortable with. If someone stood behind they would have been swiftly told to move.

When you say behind, I assume you mean behind the ball, looking down the line? In which case, I wouldn't stand there, it's bad etiquette according to the R&A. If however you were playing in a direction that meant I was behind you, i.e. facing your back. I would stay there, keep still and be quiet unless you asked me to move, that is not bad etiquette according to the R&A.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think too many people are thinking too much about too many things in their golf.

Just stand somewhere not in the way, but you can see what's going on. So you can assist your playing partner find his/her ball, if they don't see where it goes. Then get on with your own shot in good time.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
It seems not. As my insistence that it was good etiquette to stand facing the player teeing off (unless impractical) has been roundly dismissed - which really surprised me.

I'd suggest that nearly all fellow competitors already face the person driving off - it's the sensible thing to do as you are watching them to see where their ball goes (no point in facing away if you want to see that) - they just don't stand in the place you rigidly said they should - i.e.: directly opposite to the player.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
As another, I give you the Back tee on the 4th @ Bristol & Clifton - thorn bushes, nettles and blackberry bushes on all three sides of the tee. The blocks fill the full width - common sense (fortunately) breaks out and we stand behind the line of the ball as far back as we can get - convention breaking horror!!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
No problem. It is just standing directly behind. I feel they are lining up my shot.and it makes me nervous.:mad:

Which is where I think this discussion has gone off track. I will always endeavor to stand to the side and slightly behind the person teeing off. If they want me behind them (facing down the line) to spot the flight of the ball, then I'll move. I don't feel comfortable stood directly opposite someone as I feel like I am in their sightline.

If I was playing with SILH, then I'd stand wherever he would prefer. However, I do not think that the "one and only" best place to stand is directly in front of the person teeing off. I do think that everyone has a different idea of where they are most comfortable with their PP standing when they are teeing off. I want to make sure that I respect that difference of opinion. In future, I may ask my PP's (If I don't know them personally) where they would prefer me to stand.....:thup:

S

Snelly

You’re right, I have learnt something new reading your posts…. Oh wait, I think I’ve read some of them before…

No doubt. The reason for this is because the inexorably stupid often need to be told more than once.

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
No doubt. The reason for this is because the inexorably stupid often need to be told more than once.

Here you go then...

You’re right, I have learnt something new reading your posts…. Oh wait, I think I’ve read some of them before…

V

vkurup

Why is this so difficult... Just stand out of the players vision radius i.e.

1) Not close by in the 12 - 7pm range
2) Close by in the 7pm - 10pm range (but far enuf to avoid being hit by the club)

In both cases, keep you mouth shut and dont move around...

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

2) Close by in the 7pm - 10pm range (but far enuf to avoid being hit by the club)

Woahh, where is your 12pm? And what do we do between 10pm and 12pm?

Also, this doesn't cover what to do in the mornings, is it the same?

V

vkurup

Woahh, where is your 12pm? And what do we do between 10pm and 12pm?

12Oclock.. straight down the line... I think I shld ammend

1) Not close by in the 10 O'clock - 7 O'clock range (assuming 12 O'Clock is down the line of the shot being made)
2) Close by in the 7 O'clock - 10 O'clock range (but far enuf to avoid being hit by the club)

Also, this doesn't cover what to do in the mornings, is it the same?

Classic.. :whoo:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Is 9pm south, north or North,north west of 12pm? Thanks.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
12Oclock.. straight down the line... I think I shld ammend

1) Not close by in the 10 O'clock - 7 O'clock range (assuming 12 O'Clock is down the line of the shot being made)
2) Close by in the 7 O'clock - 10 O'clock range (but far enuf to avoid being hit by the club)

Surely if 12 o'clock represents straight down the fairway then you should stand either between 3 and 5 or 7 and 9, depending on what is more convenient, for the following reasons.......

1) Anywhere between 9 and 3 (going clockwise) is in front of the ball where you could be hit
2) Between 5 and 7 (going clockwise) is behind and looking down the line. Of course this is dependent on a playing partner asking you to stand there.

And all of the above is dependent on whether you are playing with SILH or DfT who will insist that you stand at 21 minutes past 3 at all times. ;)