• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And even if you play with people who don't know or care, have you ever asked someone to move and them not move?

No - but that's not really the point. I shouldn't have to ask you to move - besides I may be shy or unsure and be embarrassed to ask you to move. Just stand where etiquette has us stand. It's easy. This thread seems to have turned into some refusing to accept that there might, just might, be etiquette associated with where you should stand when we are teeing off. And this is odd as we all accept the etiquette around silence, moving etc,

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My playing partners know where to stand.
For them it is as natural as not treading on someones line, driving a car or having a pee. For crying out loud they do not all say 'oh dear we must all gather round in this correct standing position.' they just do it.
I think the last time I asked someone to move was about 30 years ago when a youngster insisted on standing behind me, directly in my eye line.
[maybe a few other times when I thought someone may be struck by a swing.]

Some on here are really getting their knickers in a twist over a very simple respectful act.

So do mine Doon, sometimes we are standing facing the player, sometimes behind him, sometimes looking down the line if playing into the sun. The bottom line is no-one cares (at least no-one I know) as long as you are not too close, standing still and keeping quiet. I have never been asked to move and never had to ask anyone to move, it's just common sense.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I stand in a place not in the player's view, have never been asked to move and have never needed to ask anyone to move.

If the correct place is opposite and behind then the rules need a sub clause when teeing areas do not allow this .

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never asked anyone to move as there has been no need as for me they were standing in an area where they weren't interfering with my shot. Yes sometimes people stand behind me and that's not a problem ( see post 202) but when ever practical they would stand opposite me.
This has been the case at all four clubs I've been a member at and as such I took it be the case every where and my investigating on the "net " still leads me to think that there are other clubs out there where the thinking is the same .
However it is clear that not everyone or every club thinks the same so c'est la vie.:thup:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never asked anyone to move as there has been no need as for me they were standing in an area where they weren't interfering with my shot. Yes sometimes people stand behind me and that's not a problem ( see post 202) but when ever practical they would stand opposite me.
This has been the case at all four clubs I've been a member at and as such I took it be the case every where and my investigating on the "net " still leads me to think that there are other clubs out there where the thinking is the same .
However it is clear that not everyone or every club thinks the same so c'est la vie.:thup:

:thup: Are we done now :D

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
No - but that's not really the point. I shouldn't have to ask you to move - besides I may be shy or unsure and be embarrassed to ask you to move. Just stand where etiquette has us stand. It's easy. This thread seems to have turned into some refusing to accept that there might, just might, be etiquette associated with where you should stand when we are teeing off. And this is odd as we all accept the etiquette around silence, moving etc,

Yes, My point was, I agree with you, its the same as not standing on my line or anything. I never had this conversation with anyone when I started playing, it was just obvious that there was a correct thing to do and as Hawkeye says, it can depend on the situation. But my secondary point was that if someone is not of the same mind set (my father in law) we take the piss out of him or tell him... Steve, move! or maybe even something pleasant.

S

Snelly

So do mine Doon, sometimes we are standing facing the player, sometimes behind him, sometimes looking down the line if playing into the sun. The bottom line is no-one cares (at least no-one I know) as long as you are not too close, standing still and keeping quiet. I have never been asked to move and never had to ask anyone to move, it's just common sense.

And I am telling you that you have been ignorant in your golfing career to date as actually, there is a proper place to stand when on the tee and others are teeing off. I am sorry if that is an uncomfortable truth.

I can't quite understand why you and others with the same view aren't just accepting that you have learned something new that you no-one has told you about before. You are now enlightened. Every day is a school day. Embrace your new knowledge and stand where you are supposed to from now on.

Or carry on as you are. :) I don't really care. But perhaps you could at least accept that you now know that there is a proper place to stand, even if you choose to disregard it and carry on as you are?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I am telling you that you have been ignorant in your golfing career to date as actually, there is a proper place to stand when on the tee and others are teeing off. I am sorry if that is an uncomfortable truth.

I can't quite understand why you and others with the same view aren't just accepting that you have learned something new that you no-one has told you about before. You are now enlightened. Every day is a school day. Embrace your new knowledge and stand where you are supposed to from now on.

Or carry on as you are. :) I don't really care. But perhaps you could at least accept that you now know that there is a proper place to stand, even if you choose to disregard it and carry on as you are?

:thup:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

When the R&A write it in the etiquette section, I'll accept it, until then it is just the opinion of some people.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's just it Doon - it's really very simple and natural.

If it was that simple and natural, everyone would do it.

The differing opinions on this thread show it's far from what you state.

The simple fact is you were shown where to stand, so to you, yes it is simple and natural. To me operating the complex lifting machinery at work is simple and natural as I've been shown and have been doing it for years. If I put you in front of the the controls, would it be simple and natural?

The fact 90% of respondents on this thread had no idea of the 'correct position' doesn't support your argument.

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At the risk of dragging this on ever further...the 'debate' that has raged on this thread has been intense at times, but I have found it useful.
I have wondered if there is a proper place to stand - and the guys that 'taught' me never really had an answer. In fact - predominantly the two gents wanted me to stand behind the line to ball spot - which is what I did. I then discovered that some others didn't like this and asked me to stand 'anywhere else'- so i did that.
I have no view on whether there is a universally accepted correct place or not - if there is - great. I'll use that as default - however, I'd be pretty certain that there is someone out there whom would find that spot distracting and ask me to go somewhere else. Thats people for you! I would generally have no problem standing wherever the FC wants me to (within reason) its not something that would bother me, but if it makes life easier for them - no problem

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to play snooker with a friend who would rush to stand at which ever pocket he thought I was about to attempt a pot.
It became so irritating to me that I would change my shot and try to pot the ball before he could rush around the table.
Incidentally,when we played golf he would always want to stand in front of me up close and personal,and he was a twitcher to boot.
Dewsweeper

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
40 pages on the way.

I was told by my old man, who is quite an old man these days to stand where these fine young upstanding gentlemen are saying we should stand. this was primarily for my own safety. I was only a nipper at the time. He warned me never to venture forward of someone teeing off. He told me that anywhere in 180 degrees would be safe but directly in line would be the safest.

This was around the same time as he was teaching me course etiquette. I don't recall him saying it was good etiquette to do this, he only reiterated that it was for safety. this was something you have to drum into a hyperactive (5/6/7 year old ????). Especially when they would one day be heading out to play with other hyperactive youngsters.

Even now I get a bit shifty if a FC or myself are standing in front of the guy teeing off. This does happen quite a bit. Sometimes due to path restrictions, sometimes just for no reason.

Maybe it was a tradition in times gone by. Those heady days of landlords and rich men who had all day to play this fine game. Fast forward to todays 8 minute tee times and you are already onto a loser having to wait for everyone to reach every tee together and actually be ready to play and stand in the correct position and wait and shuffle over for podge to hit his left handed shot and shuffle back over for scouser to play his and shuffle over for podge to hit his provisional and scouser likewise. ;) You see where I am going with this.

Maybe this was the way back in time a bit. It certainly isn't the case at most clubs up and down the country. People stand nearest their bags. This means they can get to their ball quickly and keep a good pace of play.

People certainly shouldn't be castigated for not observing this old tradition, if that's what we are calling it. :thup:

S

Snelly

When the R&A write it in the etiquette section, I'll accept it, until then it is just the opinion of some people.

It isn't just the opinion of some people though is it? It is the way it was, the way it should be and the way you should have been taught when you were a beginner.

It is traditionally, where you are supposed to stand. This is a fact. Not an opinion. Whether the R&A write it down won't change this.

I don't care where you or anyone else stands when I play under normal circumstances. However, having read this thread, I think I might start being a bit more particular on the issue and ask people to stand where they should. I am all for educating the terminally pig-ignorant. It could be one of my New Years resolutions in fact......

Some people are doubtless beyond help on this but others could be converted to the true way.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It isn't just the opinion of some people though is it? It is the way it was, the way it should be and the way you should have been taught when you were a beginner.

It is traditionally, where you are supposed to stand. This is a fact. Not an opinion. Whether the R&A write it down won't change this.

I don't care where you or anyone else stands when I play under normal circumstances. However, having read this thread, I think I might start being a bit more particular on the issue and ask people to stand where they should. I am all for educating the terminally pig-ignorant. It could be one of my New Years resolutions in fact......

Some people are doubtless beyond help on this but others could be converted to the true way.

Are you saying traditions cant change.
There no true way,it should be the safest way.

DCB

Visit site
And, where do you get your opponents to stand when you're on the tee if you're that fussy about where your partner stands :D