Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Thankfully most use common sense and stand where all FC are comfortable and then keep still and quiet

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I take a night off from the forum to inflict carnage to my internal organs and a heavy night on a school night and mayhem ensues. It is quite simple. Get a custom fit for the right geometrical position along the axis of the players rotation to ensure that proximity and eyeline correlate to Newtons laws on physics and that elf & safety risk assessments are completed on every hole before any player is allowed to proceed. How can so much rubbish be spouted about something so simple alhough that could probably be levelled at the majority of my own posts so I'll shut up now, retire back to my desk with a paracetamol and shuffle papers to look vaguely busy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thankfully most use common sense and stand where all FC are comfortable and then keep still and quiet

..and this is all I was saying. To avoid folks having to use their (dubious) common sense (and just perhaps getting it wrong for any specific player) guidance on where best to stand was given - that being opposite the player - if practical. Player can ask you to move if he doesn't want you there. But as a starting position it's where I stand. And in my experience it was etiquette (maybe unwritten but also best practice/guidance/appropriate etc etc) to stand in that position.

Last edited:
V

vkurup

When playing with my regular fellas, I prefer standing in the middle of the fairway... it is the safest place on the course with the lads. :ears:

S

Snelly

Believe me (or ask Doon) - there is an accepted convention for where you should stand when a PP is teeing off. I am not making this up. What is difficult about understanding that convention and accepting it.

And for those who don't care about where others stand, great - you have no problems, But for those who stand wherever they like or think OK unless asked - surely it is easier just to make sure you do the accepted right thing. At least then you'll know unless asked that your PP is fine with where you are standing - and as, if not more, important - you pass on this message to youngsters and newbies.

This is simply to do with respect for your fellow player and making sure that as far as possible they are not distracted by you when they are teeing off. It is all about what your PP is happy with, not what you think he'll be happy with.

I totally agree with you. There absolutely is an accepted convention of where players should stand when others are teeing off and it is exactly where you and others have stated, opposite the player and back a bit.

Everyone who doesn't do this is standing in the wrong place and should modify their behaviour if they want to be seen as standing in the correct place, as good manners dictate. That said, I doubt many will because plenty seem to think that perceived wisdom states you can stand anywhere - it doesn't and you shouldn't.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess an observation I have on all of this discussion is that it reflects attitudes of many of today's golfers. If the rationale behind something is not understood, or deemed to be 'dated', then it is rejected, challenged and questioned. We see this a lot here on the forum in respect of the rules.

I have to say that most of these scenarios seem to be stated from an individual player point of view, rather than from the broader and general view, taking into consideration other players or competitors.

S

Snelly

I guess an observation I have on all of this discussion is that it reflects attitudes of many of today's golfers. If the rationale behind something is not understood, or deemed to be 'dated', then it is rejected, challenged and questioned. We see this a lot here on the forum in respect of the rules.

I have to say that most of these scenarios seem to be stated from an individual player point of view, rather than from the broader and general view, taking into consideration other players or competitors.

Agreed, again.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Just to be clear, what you are suggest in your OP is not a rule.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I totally agree with you. There absolutely is an accepted convention of where players should stand when others are teeing off and it is exactly where you and others have stated, opposite the player and back a bit.

Everyone who doesn't do this is standing in the wrong place and should modify their behaviour if they want to be seen as standing in the correct place, as good manners dictate. That said, I doubt many will because plenty seem to think that perceived wisdom states you can stand anywhere - it doesn't and you shouldn't.

Thanks Snelly - much appreciated - I was thinking I was losing it even more than I know I'm losing it :)

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have to say I play the game and have done for many years with all the etiquette and rules obedience I can muster.. I also play with many different ages, ability and genders...Ive played in tournaments and with Pros and Ive never been asked to move to a certain area, stand still or STFU..Nor have I had to think about it too much... I would imagine most people have experienced the same.:confused: Hence why I cant understand why this is going on and on and on??? ......to much time on their hands or the golf courses being closed!!! I enjoy the game and most of the people Ive played with. I believe these rules and etiquette is important to the integrity of the game. buts its a pastime... that's all. However if I had to play with some people commenting on this thread Id end up hanging from a tree by the 3rd.... :confused: Yes Id expect Ill be asked to move or keep still even then....:( Your current playing partners must have skins like a Rhino! Good luck to them! :mad:

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed - I never suggested it was a rule but that I see the same attitude taken towards rules (and attire:))

To be fair SilH, this wouldn't have escalated as it did if you hadn't used terms such as "generally accepted" and "universally accepted" and basically made it sound as though it was written in the rule book somewhere. No-one disputes that you were told this, or that others have been told this but the way you made your point making it seem like you should always stand facing the player and anyone not doing that was wrong when in fact that is not the case, there may be people who believe you should stand where you say but it absolutely isn't the generally accepted etiquette. If it was, it would be in the R&A rule book under etiquette, which is the only document that really holds any water when it comes to the rules and etiquette of golf.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair SilH, this wouldn't have escalated as it did if you hadn't used terms such as "generally accepted" and "universally accepted" and basically made it sound as though it was written in the rule book somewhere. No-one disputes that you were told this, or that others have been told this but the way you made your point making it seem like you should always stand facing the player and anyone not doing that was wrong when in fact that is not the case, there may be people who believe you should stand where you say but it absolutely isn't the generally accepted etiquette. If it was, it would be in the R&A rule book under etiquette, which is the only document that really holds any water when it comes to the rules and etiquette of golf.

More sensible pills taken overnight.
You do talk some sense sometimes.:thup:
Hows the practice coming along,you seem to have a lot more time on your hands
than you suggested:D

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have to say I play the game and have done for many years with all the etiquette and rules obedience I can muster.. I also play with many different ages, ability and genders...Ive played in tournaments and with Pros and Ive never been asked to move to a certain area, stand still or STFU..Nor have I had to think about it too much... I would imagine most people have experienced the same.:confused: Hence why I cant understand why this is going on and on and on??? ...... I enjoy the game and most of the people Ive played with. I believe these rules and etiquette is important to the integrity of the game. Its a pastime that's all. However if I had to play with some people commenting on this thread Id end up hanging from a tree by the 3rd.... :confused: Yes Id expect Ill be asked to move or keep still even then....:( Your current playing partners must have skins like a Rhino! Good luck to them! :mad:

My playing partners know where to stand.
For them it is as natural as not treading on someones line, driving a car or having a pee. For crying out loud they do not all say 'oh dear we must all gather round in this correct standing position.' they just do it.
I think the last time I asked someone to move was about 30 years ago when a youngster insisted on standing behind me, directly in my eye line.
[maybe a few other times when I thought someone may be struck by a swing.]

Some on here are really getting their knickers in a twist over a very simple respectful act.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Christ! is this still lumbering on with people all saying the same things but in a different way!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For them it is as natural as not treading on someones line, driving a car or having a pee. For crying out loud they do not all say 'oh dear we must all gather round in this correct standing position.' they just do it.
I think the last time I asked someone to move was about 30 years ago when a youngster insisted on standing behind me, directly in my eye line.

Some on here are really getting their knickers in a twist over a very simple respectful act.

That's just it Doon - it's really very simple and natural.

Mind you I had to ask a playing companion to move fairly recently as he was standing looking right down my line as I prepared to hit a tee shot. He was relatively new to the game (3 yrs member of another club before joining us late last year) and in fact had very little idea where he should stand at any time - he clearly had never been advised of where it was inappropriate to stand. On one approach shot he stood with his trolley about 3 feet from my ball (facing me :)). I had to ask him to move away. Some folks introducing newbies to the game don't seem to be doing their job very well.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

This^^^ How has this gone 10 pages? ( I have not been following the blow by blow)

And even if you play with people who don't know or care, have you ever asked someone to move and them not move?