• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you mean old Colin. Always a bridesmaid never a bride. Knighthoods should be for reaching top of your sport. He was never no 1 and never landed a major!

No , not Colin, Tony Jacklin as mentioned above. Although 7 Order of Merits on the bounce was fairly impressive, not to mention his Ryder Cup record.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No idea as came from the font of all knowledge Google :D but does suggest that SILH , Doon and myself are not that isolated in our understanding on where to stand on the teeing off ground

It doesn't suggest anything of the sort. SILH made specific reference to "behind" being facing his back not at the back of the tee looking up the fairway and that the correct place is facing the player. The "commandments" :rolleyes: say to stand outside the tee left or right which means you can stand facing his front or back which is what most of us have been saying all along. No-one has ever argued that it is OK to stand behind the ball.

You can argue what "behind" means all you like but SILH set the context in his OP by describing behind as behind his back.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't suggest anything of the sort. SILH made specific reference to "behind" being facing his back not at the back of the tee looking up the fairway and that the correct place is facing the player. The "commandments" :rolleyes: say to stand outside the tee left or right which means you can stand facing his front or back which is what most of us have been saying all along. No-one has ever argued that it is OK to stand behind the ball.

You can argue what "behind" means all you like but SILH set the context in his OP by describing behind as behind his back.

I took it to mean you stand left or right depending on wether it was a right or left handed player so therefore as it goes on to say that it is a breach of etiquette to stand behind a player you would therefore be directly opposite which I took to be SILH OP
I was taught from a young age by some gnarled old Glasgow muni golfers that it is best and good etiquette to stand facing a player teeing off
1. Tee: One player on the tee, at a time. Stand even with the ball well outside of the teeing ground, left or right, while each player hits. It is a breach of etiquette to stand behind a golfer on the tee

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm still trying to my head around the line from player down the fairway being 12 o'clock, standing in front on the player is 3 o'clock and standing behind him is 6 o'clock...
Where are you if you're at 9 o'clock...??????

Apart from in the pub......?

I'm glad you asked, also. Psst does he mean GMT or CET, and do we have to wait for the clocks to go back, or not?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I took it to mean you stand left or right depending on wether it was a right or left handed player so therefore as it goes on to say that it is a breach of etiquette to stand behind a player you would therefore be directly opposite which I took to be SILH OP
I was taught from a young age by some gnarled old Glasgow muni golfers that it is best and good etiquette to stand facing a player teeing off
1. Tee: One player on the tee, at a time. Stand even with the ball well outside of the teeing ground, left or right, while each player hits. It is a breach of etiquette to stand behind a golfer on the tee

It doesn't actually say that though does it, it makes no reference to which hand the player is and doesn't specifically mention facing the player. The breach of etiquette it references about standing behind the player can only mean the R&As reference to at the back of the tee facing down the fairway as that is the only place the R&A say you shouldn't stand in the etiquette section. Standing behind a player's back is not a breach of etiquette.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't actually say that though does it, it makes no reference to which hand the player is and doesn't specifically mention facing the player. The breach of etiquette it references about standing behind the player can only mean the R&As reference to at the back of the tee facing down the fairway as that is the only place the R&A say you shouldn't stand in the etiquette section. Standing behind a player's back is not a breach of etiquette.

You're right they don't but as in other references I've quoted from those references will mention not to stand behind players if you delve a bit deeper.
Takn from Peover Golf clubs website as an example.
Always stand to the right of the shot and never behind a player.
http://www.peovergolfclub.co.uk/etiquette.php

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I often stand behind the ball. As previously mentioned, by me, and a couple of others, it's the best place to see the ball flight. Looking from the side gives limited vision, and I'm either going to get whip lash trying to follow the ball, or not bother. I'm for not bothering.

As an aside, how far back would I have to stand for those who are fussed to be okay with it?

Oh, and in 30 odd years, I've been asked to move probably less than a dozen times.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're right they don't but as in other references I've quoted from those references will mention not to stand behind players if you delve a bit deeper.
That could have been written by some douchebag with no idea about golf. Our club website has some right old tosh on it, written by said Douchebag

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

Probably written by some old boy who got told it on a 'Glasgow muni'

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
That could have been written by some douchebag with no idea about golf. Our club website has some right old tosh on it, written by said Douchebag

Douchebag is about right as it comes from Peover, apologies to Peoverrians I'm sure it's not pronounced as I'm saying it ;)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But that isn't actually in the etiquette section from the R&A is it? While some may say to stand facing the player that is their opinion, it is not a breach of etiquette to stand behind a players back according to the R&A and it most certainly isn't universally accepted that you stand facing the player

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that isn't actually in the etiquette section from the R&A is it? While some may say to stand facing the player that is their opinion, it is not a breach of etiquette to stand behind a players back according to the R&A and it most certainly isn't universally accepted that you stand facing the player

Unfortunately the etiquette section is often quoted without any substance ... and now we have 'universally accepted' to add to the reasoning without fact section.