• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In which Galaxy is "standing behind the player" equal to standing at the back of the tee looking down the fairway?
Is the guy teeing off Croquet-style...?

It is an historic golfing term.

id agree, when someone says behind the player the mean behind the ball looking down the line. Not at his back.

So we're devising new meanings for long established English words now are we....?
Is it any wonder there's confusion..?.or should I say grass-cuttings.....(just made that up)....

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Can't find anything in Willie Park Junior, written around 1896.

Had a quick look around the internet and found the following that was itroduced by the R&A at the end of their 1891 rules code:

The following customs belong to the established Etiquette of Golf and should be observed by all golfers:

1.No player, caddie, or onlooker should move or talk during a stroke.
2.No player should play from the tee until the party in front have played their second strokes and are out of range, nor play to the Putting Green till the party in front have holed out and moved away.
3.The player who leads from the tee should be allowed to play before his opponent tees his ball
4.Players who have holed out should not try their putts over again when other players are following them.
5.Players looking for a lost ball must allow any other match coming up to pass them.
6.A party playing three or more balls must allow a two ball match to pass them.
7.A party playing a shorter round must allow a two ball match playing the whole round to pass them.
8.A player should not putt at the hole when the flag is in it.
9.The reckoning of the strokes is kept by the terms “the odd”, “two more”, “three more” &c., and “one off three”, “one off two”, “the like”. The reckoning of the holes is kept by the terms – so many – “holes up” – or “all even” – and so many “to play.”
10.Turf cut or displaced by a stroke in playing should be at once replaced.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
At last the vital saying has appeared - common sense. People use their own common sense to judge where to stand on the tee.
Cotswold Edge golf club assume common sense is sometimes lacking :D

http://www.cotswoldedgegolfclub.org.uk/the-course/etiquette/
On the Tee
For safety reasons do not stand ahead (forward of the ball) of the player who is making a stroke.
To avoid distracting the player, do not stand directly behind his line of play nor anywhere else in his peripheral vision.
Generally, you should be stood in front of (facing) the player teeing off, i.e. to the right hand side of his line of play if the player is right handed. If the player is left handed, DO walk to the opposite side of the tee. Remain still & silent while your fellow player is playing.
Check your shadow does not fall in an area which may distract a fellow player in making his swing.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is still current as it is in the R&A advice.
It's just that many folk choose to ignore it, good example on this thread.
I thought I had landed on another planet there for a while.

It shows how golf can evolve so quickly.
There are so many propriety clubs around who just want your money that the influence of 'Club Membership' in the old fashioned way is sadly diminished.

You certainly have a very low opinion of current golfers and golf clubs

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So much for the games governing body then........total fools.

53551.jpg

Im surprised Tiger didnt have his caddy remove the tanker...... I guess some on this forum would have....

Ive read some threads in my time.....:p

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure what your stance was but SILH was basically saying in-front only...the r&a link suggests (if I'm aimng to 12 o'clock) that 3 and 9 are fine, just not 6...

Spot on. The original "commandment" from SILH wS that you could only stand in front of the golfer teeing off. This was clarified numerous times. Including when SILH stated that he would move around the tee box if there was a golfer who was left handed. Now you're saying that you should stand either in front of, or behind the golfer (not the ball obviously) and claiming that everyone else is wrong and should apologise. I would suggest that if you agree with the OP then the recent posts prove you wrong. Apologies over the next 100 posts please.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You certainly have a very low opinion of current golfers and golf clubs

Sadly I experienced the first trance of propriety courses [not clubs] in the 1990's and soon realised that they were generally not good for golf.
Some of their business models were awful and many decent but gullible golfers lost a lot of money when they went broke.
Because of their involvement it is one of the reasons why two obvious golfers have never been knighted.

Many have not fully recovered and carry too much debt to this day.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sadly I experienced the first trance of propriety courses [not clubs] in the 1990's and soon realised that they were generally not good for golf.
Some of their business models were awful and many decent but gullible golfers lost a lot of money when they went broke.
Because of their involvement it is one of the reasons why two obvious golfers have never been knighted.

Which two golfers ? And why should they have been knighted

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm still trying to my head around the line from player down the fairway being 12 o'clock, standing in front on the player is 3 o'clock and standing behind him is 6 o'clock...
Where are you if you're at 9 o'clock...??????

Apart from in the pub......?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

reasons are never discussed or published- fact

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any one standing opposite me is liable to get shanked to death.

Our Lady Captain got hit by a shanked ball right in the middle of her forehead. Luckily the bone is very strong there... and few inches lower and she would be in big trouble! She was standing in the historically correct safe place...
In certain lights, you can see a very faint Titleist in mirror script above her eyes...

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our Lady Captain got hit by a shanked ball right in the middle of her forehead. Luckily the bone is very strong there... and few inches lower and she would be in big trouble! She was standing in the historically correct safe place...
In certain lights, you can see a very faint Titleist in mirror script above her eyes...

:whoo::whoo:Screen covered in wine now.....