• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that isn't actually in the etiquette section from the R&A is it? While some may say to stand facing the player that is their opinion, it is not a breach of etiquette to stand behind a players back according to the R&A and it most certainly isn't universally accepted that you stand facing the player

No as I said it's not but there are clubs out there who do advocate not standing behind players.

For the vast majority of the time where do caddies stand for Professionals? About 15 to 20 degrees slightly behind and off to the right facing the player.

D

Deleted member 15344

Unfortunately the etiquette section is often quoted without any substance ... and now we have 'universally accepted' to add to the reasoning without fact section.

Don't forget to add "accepted convention" "natural historic standing position" and "HSCP"

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No as I said it's not but there are clubs out there who do advocate not standing behind players.

For the vast majority of the time where do caddies stand for Professionals? About 15 to 20 degrees slightly behind and off to the right facing the player.

I posted some pictures earlier where that wasn't the case and there are hundreds more on google. The whole point of this argument though is that it is not etiquette to stand facing the player and it is not universally accepted. If clubs and people want to tell you where to stand that's up to them, but let's not kid ourselves that it is gospel.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope the unforgettable 'I Pretend'

He thought his best song was Love Grows [Where my Rosemary goes] by Edison Lighthouse I tend to agree with him.

The Last Waltz by Englebert still must draw a few bob in.
I was thinking Tom Jones songs when you mentioned Delilah, plus with you being a ex green green grass keeper :whistle: . :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I started playing I was told it was best to stand opposite the player teeing off when practically possible ( this is only for teeing off and other shots you should be ready at your ball to play so long as not in front of any player still to play )
If opposite was not possible, stand away from the player teeing and be ready to take your turn.
At my club this happens at 10 tees , stand opposite and on the other 8 you stand behind the player teeing off, it is the most practical place to be as that is the way the course is laid out.
I follow these general principles when playing away and not encountered any problems .

Hallelujah and praise the lawd - someone else has been told what I was told.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I blame the clubs.... it used to be a problem where I play with carnage and confusion abound until eventually on each tee box they fitted marker plates inlaid with B, C & D on them denoting where each player should stand and adopting a ‘tag’ system to allow the next player to leave their marker and tee off... happy days now there’s no more incidents like the infamous 12th tee melee of July 86

(Actually before the ‘tag’ system was introduced they used a Marshal on each tee box to direct players when to move off their marker but found that they had nowhere to stand themselves... we live and learn!)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It has been surprising to me that so many did not know about something that I thought was generally understood to be 'best practice' (there's another descriptor for those who like to pick holes in precisely how I refer to it).

But there you go. I have done all I set out to do by making those folk aware that indeed, for some of us, there is somewhere I will stand in order to minimise the likelihood of distracting the player when he is teeing off - and to minimise risk of the player having to ask me to move - or indeed for him to play when uncomfortable as he feels too awkward about asking. I'll note that the guidance was only ever 'if practical' - I never said you always had to stand somewhere - just stand there if you could.

36 pages of scoffing and a few supportive posts - hey ho :)