• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the first tee at my club if everyone was told to stand opposite the person playing then it would be hilarious to watch them struggling up the bank .... and what about those playing in the next group, are they to do the same (or do they not count) ?

Sorry but even after seeing all these pages I can't for the life of me think of any reason at all why you want me to stand opposite you rather than behind you (not behind the line). It makes no sense at all, and quite frankly if you asked me to move from behind to opposite you then it would be a very frosty round of golf and we probably wouldn't even make it beyond the first hole !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And I am telling you that you have been ignorant in your golfing career to date as actually, there is a proper place to stand when on the tee and others are teeing off. I am sorry if that is an uncomfortable truth.

I can't quite understand why you and others with the same view aren't just accepting that you have learned something new that you no-one has told you about before. You are now enlightened. Every day is a school day. Embrace your new knowledge and stand where you are supposed to from now on.

Or carry on as you are. :) I don't really care. But perhaps you could at least accept that you now know that there is a proper place to stand, even if you choose to disregard it and carry on as you are?

Love it - I thought about posting these thoughts but decided I had suffered enough slagging off already :)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
It isn't just the opinion of some people though is it? It is the way it was, the way it should be and the way you should have been taught when you were a beginner.

It is traditionally, where you are supposed to stand. This is a fact. Not an opinion. Whether the R&A write it down won't change this.

I don't care where you or anyone else stands when I play under normal circumstances. However, having read this thread, I think I might start being a bit more particular on the issue and ask people to stand where they should. I am all for educating the terminally pig-ignorant. It could be one of my New Years resolutions in fact......

Some people are doubtless beyond help on this but others could be converted to the true way.

We're you deliberately standing in the wrong place on some tees down @ Hayling.

The convo about what we would do to Kylie Minogue was more distracting than you standing behind the line. Neither were an excuse for the necky waft I hit though ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
exactly, if you guys are telling me hand on heart you always stand facing your fc then I doff my cap to you. otherwise please dismount from those high horses!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On the other hand, I may now ask any one standing in this 'correct' area to move somewhere else. Just because I can, and I now know it will annoy them!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

The convo about what we would do to Kylie Minogue was more distracting than you standing behind the line. Neither were an excuse for the necky waft I hit though ;)

Just had a scoot through Snelly's recent posts - even more entertaining than this thread - top quality trolling

I won't have to sneek a peek at my father in law's Daily Mail this week now

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
My opinion is fact..

No, my opinion is fact..

NO, MY OPINION IS FACT.....

NO, MY OPINION IS FACT....

Sorry, just remembering a couple of kids fighting in the playground this morning when I dropped the kids off at school... Quite funny I thought. They'll not act like that when they grow up.. Then I remembered this thread and my heart sank a little.. Then I remembered that I'm not working all next week and my heart soared like an eagle........Lovely......

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My opinion is fact..

No, my opinion is fact..

NO, MY OPINION IS FACT.....

NO, MY OPINION IS FACT....

Sorry, just remembering a couple of kids fighting in the playground this morning when I dropped the kids off at school... Quite funny I thought. They'll not act like that when they grow up.. Then I remembered this thread and my heart sank a little.. Then I remembered that I'm not working all next week and my heart soared like an eagle........Lovely......

It's often said that men are really big kids at heart. Most of this thread proves that old adage, doesn't it. :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's often said that men are really big kids at heart. Most of this thread proves that old adage, doesn't it. :D

It's beautiful to see isn't it? Kind of heartwarming and reminds me of the old adage - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. Lots of young at heart on this forum... Myself included obviously..:D

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
40 pages on the way.

Maybe this was the way back in time a bit. It certainly isn't the case at most clubs up and down the country. People stand nearest their bags. This means they can get to their ball quickly and keep a good pace of play.

Exactly this.....

I can't quite understand why you and others with the same view aren't just accepting that you have learned something new that you no-one has told you about before. You are now enlightened. Every day is a school day. Embrace your new knowledge and stand where you are supposed to from now on.

You’re right, I have learnt something new reading your posts…. Oh wait, I think I’ve read some of them before…

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
When the R&A write it in the etiquette section, I'll accept it, until then it is just the opinion of some people.
If you played with me and stood behind me on the tee without being asked to (hitting into a low sun is the only time I would) I would ask you to move. I am just uncomfortable with some one standing there. From memory I can't remember ever having to do so, so presumably most golfers do know where to stand. When I started playing in the 70's everyone stood to the side, so it is what I feel comfortable with. If someone stood behind they would have been swiftly told to move.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looking at our track and the insistence on standing facing the player on the tee (right handers)

1 Flowerbed
2 In a hedge
3 Down a bank
4 Ok
5 Ok
6 Down a bank
7 Have to climb over a fence
8 Ok
9 Ok
10 Ok
11 Ok
12 Ok
13 Down a 4 ft slope
14 Ok
15 Ok
16 In a farmer’s field
17 In a neighbours back garden
18 Ok

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

I think you hit before we were ready for you.:whistle: I seem to remember I was introducing the virtues of the more attractive Minogue when you rudely teed off.;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the first tee at my club if everyone was told to stand opposite the person playing then it would be hilarious to watch them struggling up the bank .... and what about those playing in the next group, are they to do the same (or do they not count) ?

Sorry but even after seeing all these pages I can't for the life of me think of any reason at all why you want me to stand opposite you rather than behind you (not behind the line). It makes no sense at all, and quite frankly if you asked me to move from behind to opposite you then it would be a very frosty round of golf and we probably wouldn't even make it beyond the first hole !

Well - as you asked - let's say you are standing behind me. I do not know precisely where you are standing - and I cannot see or have any sense about what you are doing. Are you fiddling with your clubs? are you about to take one out of the bag?; quietly taking off a rain jacket? etc. None of this I can see but you could be doing - and you could accidentally make a noise. Also you might be standing in a position that were I to recklessly let go my club or take a step back and take a wild swing after mucking up I could hit you. All these things I do not know. In life none of us like to think there are things going on behind or back. We can feel uncomfortable.

Now you might not think these are very much in the way of reasons - but when I am on the tee what you think or feel is secondary to what the plate teeing off thinks or feels. He might not be bothered - but hey - why not just stand where he can be aware of you at all times?

And why would you take such a negative view if I asked you to move? Is it not courtesy to do as the player about to play asks? If for whatever reason I decide to ask you to move from standing behind me I would expect you to move. And if you understand (as you do now) that actually where you were standing could indeed result in you being asked to move then you would surely have no issue - surely?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you played with me and stood behind me on the tee without being asked to (hitting into a low sun is the only time I would) I would ask you to move. I am just uncomfortable with some one standing there. From memory I can't remember ever having to do so, so presumably most golfers do know where to stand. When I started playing in the 70's everyone stood to the side, so it is what I feel comfortable with. If someone stood behind they would have been swiftly told to move.

Would you be OK if someone stood to the side, but 5 yards behind you? So they weren't stood on the line of intended target, but they were stood out of sight, quietly, without moving.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
exactly, if you guys are telling me hand on heart you always stand facing your fc then I doff my cap to you. otherwise please dismount from those high horses!

I always try and stand facing my fc - always. If it is not practical for me to do so I will stand elsewhere well out of the way.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Here's mine - we have paths down the side of the tee - if you are on the path then:

1. Wrong side
2. OK
3.OK
4. OK
5. OK
6. OK
7. Wrong side
8. Wrong side
9. Wrong side
10. OK
11. Wrong side
12. No path at side of back tee - so optional if you want to be OK or wrong side
13. Wrong side
14. Wrong side
15. OK
16. OK
17. OK
18. Ok

These stats for a right hander on the tee - flip for a led hander

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Actually I do - just because that's where I stand - unless it is impractical for me to do so. And yes - this means I often find myself walking across the tee ground from where I have left my bag to stand at that side. But it is the natural thing for me to do. I feel a little awkward standing anywhere else.