• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This complex subject could be solved by 'Player Observational Zones' at each tee marked out like GUR for those waiting to play - avoids any confusion....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I walk onto the tee I pay little attention to where people stand, I just prefer them to keep still and quiet. If someone was a little close I may make sure they were not in hitting distance. Other than that I dont' really give a damn.

Although mentioned earlier in jest, standing directly in front of some people could certainly bring on 'death by shanking'

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
This complex subject could be solved by 'Player Observational Zones' at each tee marked out like GUR for those waiting to play - avoids any confusion....

That is a great idea! however, it should be called the Kosher Named Observation Ball Space and should be sprayed in white paint in the specified KNOBS zone.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Didn't slab suggest his course was already doing something similar in his post at 4 this morning? I assumed he was kidding at the time but it's starting to look more and more like the way forward.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Didn't slab suggest his course was already doing something similar in his post at 4 this morning? I assumed he was kidding at the time but it's starting to look more and more like the way forward.

Surely its not workable, what if you tee up on the right because you fade, or the left because you draw, or right in the middle of the tee box because you think your straight! Surely that would affect the position of the rest of the group and then you've got left handers to take into consideration, everyone would be shuffling about after each shot! So, a simple grid or an American idiot guide wouldn't work and shouldn't be needed!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely its not workable, what if you tee up on the right because you fade, or the left because you draw, or right in the middle of the tee box because you think your straight! Surely that would affect the position of the rest of the group and then you've got left handers to take into consideration, everyone would be shuffling about after each shot! So, a simple grid or an American idiot guide wouldn't work and shouldn't be needed!

You're quite correct, maybe we should all be left to use our own common sense about where would be a safe non-invasive place stand while our friends our teeing off after all!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You've chosen to miss out a big chunk of my post. It's that part which people are finding ridiculous in your argument

Which bit? Where you tee of before everyone has reached the tee? Well obviously it depends on the context as you probably shouldn't tee off in a match or competition before everyone has caught up - especially if the laggard is an opponent. But in any other circumstances of course you would. But that's another matter. All like myself are saying is that when players are at a tee and a player is about to play then....

V

vkurup

I am surprised that we even after 450 comments and 12 pages.. we have addressed the needs of left hand players.... Surely you will need to spray KNOB zone on both sides...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As another, I give you the Back tee on the 4th @ Bristol & Clifton - thorn bushes, nettles and blackberry bushes on all three sides of the tee. The blocks fill the full width - common sense (fortunately) breaks out and we stand behind the line of the ball as far back as we can get - convention breaking horror!!

Please - I and others have clearly stated that the convention does not apply if it is impractical for it to do so. Come on - this is easy - why such arguments against and discussions about doing something that is so simple to adopt.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just did an unrepresentative survey of one golfer (my 21 yr old lad - very, very occasional player these days). I asked him where he would stand if I was teeing off. His answer. "facing you - level or just back a bit (towards the back of the tee)" I asked him if he'd stand behind me (looking at my back) - his reply "well obviously not as you might feel uncomfortable with me standing there". What about towards the back of the tee looking down my line "nah - unless you wanted me to watch where your shot went"

That's my boy :)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please - I and others have clearly stated that the convention does not apply if it is impractical for it to do so. Come on - this is easy - why such arguments against and discussions about doing something that is so simple to adopt.

Stop with that bollox - please

I've paid you credit for standing your ground and you don't seem to want to consider anyone else's views on such a trivial (500 post) matter.

IF practical, I will stand opposite the person on the tee. Not diametrically so necessarily.

IF it is more practical to stand behind them or to the back of the tee I will do so. I will be standing far enough away not to be encroaching on them or their swing. I will also stay still and quiet.

IF my judgment of where to stand wasn't spot on and I am asked to move, I will (if possible)

However, if the player is being unreasonable and they want me to stand in the next county then I will sarcastically enquire whether they are being serious and suggest they may want to get on with it.

Although saying that, I am a novice of only 15 years or so of playing the game at various clubs, all of which have been traditional members clubs.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'll stick to what the R&A say on the matter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

If the path lading to the tee Finishes at the 9 o'clock side (12 being down the line of the shot/fairway) how long would it take for a path to appear across the teeing ground as we all walk across to the other side so we can face you while you play?
With ground conditions as they are the teeing ground would be knackered in no time - at least 7 (sometimes more depending on where the the markers are) of our tees arrive at the 9 o'clock side....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Stop with that bollox - please

I've paid you credit for standing your ground and you don't seem to want to consider anyone else's views on such a trivial (500 post) matter.

IF practical, I will stand opposite the person on the tee. Not diametrically so necessarily.

IF it is more practical to stand behind them or to the back of the tee I will do so. I will be standing far enough away not to be encroaching on them or their swing. I will also stay still and quiet.

IF my judgment of where to stand wasn't spot on and I am asked to move, I will (if possible)

However, if the player is being unreasonable and they want me to stand in the next county then I will sarcastically enquire whether they are being serious and suggest they may want to get on with it.

Although saying that, I am a novice of only 15 years or so of playing the game at various clubs, all of which have been traditional members clubs.

Not bollox IMO - anyway I completely agree with your summary about where you would stand. Why? Because as you say - in the first instance...

..and that is all there is to it - you know the most appropriate place to stand - if you can.

There just seem to be many who don't think they need do this when in days past it was accepted (or call it convention, respect, etiquette, best practice, courtesy - all amounts to the same thing) as being what you did.

And I am afraid that I can't really do anything but 'stand my ground' because I can't deny either what I was taught or what I have observed and experienced over the years. If folk these days want to say that that was all a load of tosh and think that it's OK to stand where they want - then that is their prerogative. I just think they are mistaken in their thinking and have only been trying to suggest what they might think about doing as a better alternative.

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well - as you asked - let's say you are standing behind me. I do not know precisely where you are standing - and I cannot see or have any sense about what you are doing. Are you fiddling with your clubs? are you about to take one out of the bag?; quietly taking off a rain jacket? etc. None of this I can see but you could be doing - and you could accidentally make a noise. Also you might be standing in a position that were I to recklessly let go my club or take a step back and take a wild swing after mucking up I could hit you. All these things I do not know. In life none of us like to think there are things going on behind or back. We can feel uncomfortable.

Now you might not think these are very much in the way of reasons - but when I am on the tee what you think or feel is secondary to what the plate teeing off thinks or feels. He might not be bothered - but hey - why not just stand where he can be aware of you at all times?

And why would you take such a negative view if I asked you to move? Is it not courtesy to do as the player about to play asks? If for whatever reason I decide to ask you to move from standing behind me I would expect you to move. And if you understand (as you do now) that actually where you were standing could indeed result in you being asked to move then you would surely have no issue - surely?
So you don't like me standing out of site behind you in case I make a noise that you weren't expecting ... But your ok with me standing opposite you out of sight (I assume you want me out of your sight here) were you clearly think it's not possible to make a noise?

I'm going to ignore the flying club etc as that just seems too incredible for me to contemplate.