What's in a name?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in my local DG store yesterday and they had 2 waterproof cart bags side by side - a Taylormade 4.0 Pro and a Dunlop Storm. They were clearly the same bag, most of the fixtures and fittings were identical, just the layout of the pockets on the front was a bit different.

The main difference was the price, £89 for the Dunlop and £185 for the Taylormade.

Would you pay £100 extra to have a prestige name on your kit rather than a budget brand? I suppose the extra money goes to all the tour pros they pay to use their kit.

It makes you wonder if there's a 100% mark up on all premium brands kit?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you're putting the cart before the horse a little there.

Don't they sponsor the pros to increase the prestige of the brand so that they can charge a higher price, rather than charging a higher price so that they can pay the pros?

However, your point is valid, there isn't anything in it when it comes to their quality.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was in my local DG store yesterday and they had 2 waterproof cart bags side by side - a Taylormade 4.0 Pro and a Dunlop Storm. They were clearly the same bag, most of the fixtures and fittings were identical, just the layout of the pockets on the front was a bit different.

The main difference was the price, £89 for the Dunlop and £185 for the Taylormade.

Would you pay £100 extra to have a prestige name on your kit rather than a budget brand? I suppose the extra money goes to all the tour pros they pay to use their kit.

It makes you wonder if there's a 100% mark up on all premium brands kit?

just wouldn't have Dunlop full stop

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Put the point is it's not a Dunlop bag - it's a generic brand from a Chinese sweatshop. So you'd happily pay £100 extra for someone to stick a TaylorMade label on it rather than a Dunlop one?

Not a great fan of Taylor Made TBH, so to answer your question No.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The perception is that the Dunlop bag will fall apart quicker and more people will laugh at you.
You could de-badge a Scotty, re-badge it as a Dunlop and see how many you won't sell, even at £75.
That's why Dunlop have the deals with Westwood et al....to try to pump the brand image.
Dunlop used to be one of the big names in golf, but no more.
Perception is everything and until Dunlop succeed in raising their perceived quality and durability, they will be seen as a budget brand that most golfers wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
TopFlite are in the same boat.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a great fan of Taylor Made TBH, so to answer your question No.

TM Aero Burner Driver Fujikura Pro Xlr8 63 Tour xTM M1 3 wood another Fujikura shaftSrixon Z765 3-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 130 shaftsTM Spider Red Ltd Edition Putter Cleveland RTX-3 wedges 50 54 58 Tour Satin

Not a fan then? ;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As per someone else's post it's about market perception.

Put it another way, the jag x type and ford mobdeo of the same era (2003 ish) were basically the same car chassis, engine and running gear with a different shell and different interior, yet the jag was perceived to be a high end vehicle.

This isn't just with golf, I know of a well high street group who own multiple chains on the high street. Some brands you wouldn't wear, other brands you'd jump at, yet all items are manufactured in the same factories, it's just which logo's you prefer.

The same can also be said for NEXT and asda's george clothing range.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The perception is that the Dunlop bag will fall apart quicker and more people will laugh at you.
You could de-badge a Scotty, re-badge it as a Dunlop and see how many you won't sell, even at £75.
That's why Dunlop have the deals with Westwood et al....to try to pump the brand image.
Dunlop used to be one of the big names in golf, but no more.
Perception is everything and until Dunlop succeed in raising their perceived quality and durability, they will be seen as a budget brand that most golfers wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
TopFlite are in the same boat.

On the flip side though 'most' golfers won't be using the expensive gear will they. Most will be buying the budget stuff

Most serious golfers won't use cheaper stuff of course, neither will most tour players.... but most golfers don't play pro-v's either

That little counter at the top of the page delights in telling us how many pro-v tour players users there are at the weekend but most balls sold & found will be top-flite's (or other budget balls)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perception is everything. For quite a while I played Dunlop badged wedges. If they were good enough for John Daly............

If anybody could really spot the difference between their current Spin Milled wedges and other well known brands I would be a tad surprised.

They still make some good kit but only have to pay sponsorship to Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke so they save an awful lot of money which added to a club's price by the likes of TM.