What's in a name?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to work with a guy whose name was Richard Richards.
Another guy at work was named Richard Head. Shortened to Dick.
i knew him in the late 70’s and he must have been in his 40’s or 50’s. I don’t know if the term was around when he was born, but if it was why would you inflict that on your child?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a cousin Huw.
Just can't get the English relatives to pronounce it properly and I think Huw is easier to say than H-y-oo.
The number of times I’ve had to correct call centre agents when they call me Hug 🙄. And I won’t bother mentioning the mess some get in to trying to pronounce my surname…and it’s just a typical Scottish one…Truth is…it’s usually a dead giveaway that the call is a cold call.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have simple problem with my surname the vast majority of people misspell it using the American spelling mainly because of a well known sportsman rather than the British spelling.

I dislike being called Jimmy and will correct people who use it having been introduced to me as Jim.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Fictional, but great is the name Dwayne Dibley, one of the Cat's alter-egos from Red Dwarf.
Still see the horror in his face when it was revealed to him.
On a similar theme, Pussy Galore from Goldfinger. An illustration of how times change.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’m Brian, shortened to Bri. Quite happy with Bri, and I often use it when I hit a bad shot or deliver a bad bowl. “C’mon Bri.” My surname can be shortened to Willie. A few friends called me big Willie… sadly, it was about my surname.

Guy I worked with was called Peter Ennis. He used to sign in on a morning with P. Ennis. :ROFLMAO: We suggested he signed in Peter Ennis.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m Brian, shortened to Bri. Quite happy with Bri, and I often use it when I hit a bad shot or deliver a bad bowl. “C’mon Bri.” My surname can be shortened to Willie. A few friends called me big Willie… sadly, it was about my surname.

Guy I worked with was called Peter Ennis. He used to sign in on a morning with P. Ennis. :ROFLMAO: We suggested he signed in Peter Ennis.
Reminds me of Peter File from the IT Crowd episode. :LOL:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope you didn’t try to put her in the corner? 😁

Mine…Christened William, was Billy when I was younger now apart from my Brother and dad everyone calls me Bill.
Good solid name that seems to have never really gone out of fashion.
I too was christened William but growing up called Billy as my name is identical to my late dad's. For fifty years I have been called Bill but several of my golfing mates have reverted to Billy. It sounds odd to me when I have to give my name as William.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My surname is only three letters.
When I get asked my name from someone who wants to write it down, I say it and then spell it one letter at a time - more often than not they add an extra E at the end.
And my name is spelt exactly the same and pronounced exactly the same as the English word that it is. There is no word in the dictionary with an extra E at the end.
Infuriating - all my life.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I too was christened William but growing up called Billy as my name is identical to my late dad's. For fifty years I have been called Bill but several of my golfing mates have reverted to Billy. It sounds odd to me when I have to give my name as William.

Same as… my dads name was William everyone called him Bill and I was always Billy, except by my Nan who called me Bill-boy 🥲

Sounds strange now when I get called Billy, even the Mrs uses a pet name!

Still as per the motto “A Good name Endureth” 😁