What's in a name?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why would you change it?
Maybe the birth names we are given are too dull, and what's going to happen with AI?
So mine was Stephen, which was morphed into Stefanovic by a friend (pronounced as Stefarnovitch)...yuk!
At least I'm not Zack or Brian, but how much do you like your first name?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think as children everyone goes through a phase of hating their name at some point. Simply because they heard another name they liked or think their best friend's name is nicer for whatever reason. I was christened Oliver, I use Olly in every walk of life though to the point that that is what I consider my name is. So in a sense I suppose I have changed my name. Funnily enough Oliver is one of the most common names in the present day baby lists, but for people of my age I don't think it was that common. There weren't any others in my school that I knew of.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lady at work uses her middle name, doesn't like her first name.

I'm ambivalent about mine, it's a bit nothing. but I don't care enough to change it. Too late now anyway.

I have a dislike for some of the baby doll names that people give daughters in particular now It's selfish and unfair imo but maybe that is me being grumpy 😄

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wife works in housing benefit and she sees some really weird names on some of the claims. Some look like they have just thrown a load of Scrabble tiles in the air and seen what they can make out of the letters. Other trends seem to be having loads of kids with names starting with the same letter. She has also seen people whose kids have such strange names, they have struggled to spell it the same on different forms! What happened to simple names?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I like my name.

Christened Benjamin but everyone just calls me Ben.

Short, sharp and simple - and the extended Benjamin is smart in a professional environment.

I work in a school and seen so many weird names over the years but nothing will ever top "Lilun Jesus Smith"

I fear for the youth with weird names - seen so many

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I fear for the youth with weird names - seen so many

my wife works in a private school.... so I've heard some corkers over the years, the 2 that stand out for me however are:

Samantha Panther
Ryder Peacock

As for my name.... I dont mind it, I never meet many of me. On the plus side, my brothers wanted to call me Gary...... so I think I got away lightly.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I taught an early 20s girl a few years back...her name..?
Baby......
WTAF😲

Hope you didn’t try to put her in the corner? 😁

Mine…Christened William, was Billy when I was younger now apart from my Brother and dad everyone calls me Bill.
Good solid name that seems to have never really gone out of fashion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think because I have same baby name sites in my history (when searching for baby name ideas late last year), I seem to get all the links to stupid baby name articles through Facebook. I usually look at them as they're good for a laugh - not sure if all genuine or not but still. Just read one now where a couple have named their son 'Lucifer' and can't understand why anyone would have a problem with it. Poor little git, he'll probably change it to Luke as soon as he's old enough.

We named our daughter Summer - response from people have been overwhelmingly positive actually, most people say it's a lovely name. For me the concept of Summer represents hope, something to look forward, better days to come, that sort of thing. Although the double meaning is already annoying as we can't stop ourselves from making stupid puns with it. For example "I bought this nice dress for summer" (as in the summertime) - "Well of course it's for Summer, it's much too small for you." etc.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some strange names:-

My father was at university with Donald Duck who was born before Walt Disney's character was dreamt of. Incidentally he became a doctor so was also referred as a "Quack"!

My sister was at school with Penelope Stamp who was always known as Penny.

A girl I know was christened Annette and she married a guy whose surname is Curtains.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
It was only last evening that I heard a dad calling out to his son Eden.
Sounds like he's a landscape gardener in the making.
A TV weather forecaster is called Sarah Blizzard.
There's also Bull the butcher.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've never been able to think of a more poetic name than William Shakespeare.
It just rolls off the tongue. Whoever it was that wrote the sonnets could never have had a name like Fred Smith.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
My wife and kids all have beautiful names with lots of syllables, mine is the exact opposite; Dean.

I don't hate it by any means, it's just dull in comparison.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Had a customer years back, surname Lovelace...and they had called their daughter Lucinda.
Why would you even?

The worst name I have ever heard, by a country mile, is Neville Neville, Gary and Phil Neville’s dad. I cannot believe any parent would inflict that on a child.

My name? I hate the full version - it’s a proper 1960’s church-goers moniker. The shortened versions are fine but only my mum ever uses my full first name. I despise it.

And it’s not in any way related to my username, by the way!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have always liked all three of my names.
Only eleven letters in total.

My mum had only two names with nine letters in total. Then she married my dad and reduced it to seven.
Where she grew up there was someone called Thomas Thomas. He was known as "Tommy Twice".

My signature has always been my first and third name in full and that is seven letters in total.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Named Hugh I was often called Eòghan by my dad and my native gaelic speaking relatives. Same name (and surname) as my grandfather; one of my cousins; and one of his boys. It's a family name.