What would YOU do?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
So then, am I to understand that you advocate cheating as the way to go?

No. But looking at it from the outside with 15 day bans and suggestions of people removing cards and accusations of untrustworthy players makes it seem a bit, silly. It's just a bunch of mostly tubby middle aged blokes like my good self hitting a white ball around a field for a bit of fun. Or at least it should be.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Miss Marple theories aside this really ought to be a simple matter of DQ for rule breach 6-6b. The player will still live and it will teach him to be more careful in future.

What a strange setup where there is suspicion of stealing cards!

If that sort of thing really does go on then insist on being the one key owner or consider leaving.

But what if he did actually put his card in, what lesson is there for him to learn. If that really happened to me it would cause a lack of trust in the club. But as mentioned if some want him out then this may work.

It easy to look at it as he didn't put the card in but it should not be possible for a card to be removed, the key under lock and key by only a few persons meaning there is zero chance of it happening and you lose your defence.

Seems stupid to me that there is any sort of opportunity to remove a card. The one thing we can all say is there is always 1 or 2 people who will be dishonest, nasty or willilng to cheat and we are all naïve if we think otherwise.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless the person has said that's exactly what he will do how can you be sure that is what happened ?

How do you know that he didnt just forget or left it in his back pocket

You appear or should I say your club appears to make the suggestion that anyone who doesn't hand their card in is manufacturing their HC and I don't know how a club can justify that - it's ridiculous

Hey you - leave the back-pocketers out of it.

We're always getting it in the neck, us and the meek.;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now I'm not suggesting it is, but I wonder whether attitudes on here would be any different if the OP was Handicap Secretary at one of the clubs where a certain 'short game wizard' was a member!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's just a bunch of mostly tubby middle aged blokes like my good self hitting a white ball around a field for a bit of fun. Or at least it should be.

It is, up until the point money gets involved and participants start gambling on the outcome. Which is why competition rules and their enforcement exists, people will demand fairness when their money is at stake.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
But what if he did actually put his card in, what lesson is there for him to learn. If that really happened to me it would cause a lack of trust in the club. But as mentioned if some want him out then this may work.

It easy to look at it as he didn't put the card in but it should not be possible for a card to be removed, the key under lock and key by only a few persons meaning there is zero chance of it happening and you lose your defence.

Seems stupid to me that there is any sort of opportunity to remove a card. The one thing we can all say is there is always 1 or 2 people who will be dishonest, nasty or willilng to cheat and we are all naïve if we think otherwise.

It's much more likely that he forgot to put his card in than it is to have it stolen from a locked box. OK others knew where the key was but it's a bit of a stretch that a person would go such lengths and risk their own membership for a sake of upsetting/unsettling a fellow member.

Change the lock and make sure the HS has the only access.

If you don't DQ this person now you set a dangerous precedent. No card, No score, DQ.

HatedOfficial

Hacker
Visit site
No. But looking at it from the outside with 15 day bans and suggestions of people removing cards and accusations of untrustworthy players makes it seem a bit, silly. It's just a bunch of mostly tubby middle aged blokes like my good self hitting a white ball around a field for a bit of fun. Or at least it should be.

Are you one of our Senior's? LOL

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now I'm not suggesting it is, but I wonder whether attitudes on here would be any different if the OP was Handicap Secretary at one of the clubs where a certain 'short game wizard' was a member!

Clearly my attitude would be exactly the same!

DQ under 6-6, for a no return, gets him 0.1 (which is now apparently what he wanted).
The application of a club rule that seems to temporarily stop him booking in for future competitions, but doesn't prevent him playing a forthcoming league, has no practical impact at all on someone purported to be manipulating their handicap.

HatedOfficial

Hacker
Visit site
This is quite an predicament!

Personally this needs to be discussed at committee level and a new protocol brought in place. Ie is a new Box required or new system for handing cards in needed. (Ie box stays behind the bar and once entered into the box handed to bar staff to put in the box - reduces prospect of tampering) - Do you need to open the box and check the cards with 2nd person present to protect yourself.

I feel sorry for the guy - but no card No Return - 15 day ban I feel is unnecessary because he turned up and played the comp. Unfortunately the card is missing.

I feel the 15 day ban should come in if a guy a taken a slot and not showed up at all!

Take it with a pinch of salt TBH - If people don't like him its not your fault! Do your job and nothing more can be said.

Thanks for your input. :)