What would YOU do?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, its not for not putting their card in a wooden box, its to stop them massaging their handicaps!...............:D

Hi all.

Many thanks for all your input.

I shall resolve the issue by disqualifying the player in question, imposing the 15 day Club Match Ban (which expires tomorrow, the 21st anyway) and offer the player concerned, the option to take it further should he wish to.

Many thanks and all the best
HatedOfficial :smirk:

And the HatedOfficial now disappears into the sunset, having dropped his parting bombshell that it's all about handicap massaging. Who could have predicted that?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck hatedofficial.

Your club does not sound the friendliest and you have a thankless task. I really hope members appreciate your efforts.

D

Deleted member 15344

Its easy done. Play a load of good holes that lead to a buffer. Don't put the card in and get 0.1 back.

So anyone who doesn't hand card in is automatically judged to be manufacturing HC

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So anyone who doesn't hand card in is automatically judged to be manufacturing HC

That isn't what I said. And my answer is based very much on dealing with that scenario, and the idiot telling people he was doing it.

I don't leap from not receiving a card to someone cheating. There's any number of reasons why someone might not hand in their card. My previous post answered your question about how it could be done. Why turn it into something it clearly isn't?

D

Deleted member 15344

That isn't what I said. And my answer is based very much on dealing with that scenario, and the idiot telling people he was doing it.

I don't leap from not receiving a card to someone cheating. There's any number of reasons why someone might not hand in their card. My previous post answered your question about how it could be done. Why turn it into something it clearly isn't?

And my question was more based towards the specific issue in regards this thread - I know exactly how people can massage their HC hence why my question was more aimed towards the banning of people just for not entering the scorecard as it seems from what the OP is saying it's to stop people massaging their HC

I haven't turned anything into something it isn't when it's quite clear what the OP said and the question I posed to him ( which you answered with something I'm well aware off )

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
As handicap secretary I would say very sorry no card no can do. DQ.

The chances that someone would want to take his card out of the box is a bit far fetched. I'm sure people have better things to do than to steal other players scorecards. :D

HatedOfficial

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry can you explain that ? Ban to stop them massaging their HC ?

Okay, a quick example:

Let us assume a player is off 17.8 (Playing off 18) and due to compete soon in a 17-24 league match. He shoots a blinder in a Club Match which is going to mean he gets a reduction of a full 1.5 strokes or more. He now would be off 16.6 (playing off 16) which would preclude him playing in the 17-24 League match.

However, if he doesn't return his card, voila - a .1 increase, a 15 day CLUB match ban - which wouldn't affect his ability to play in the league match - and he's also playing off a 'false' Handicap.

D

Deleted member 15344

Okay, a quick example:

Let us assume a player is off 17.8 (Playing off 18) and due to compete soon in a 17-24 league match. He shoots a blinder in a Club Match which is going to mean he gets a reduction of a full 1.5 strokes or more. He now would be off 16.6 (playing off 16) which would preclude him playing in the 17-24 League match.

However, if he doesn't return his card, voila - a .1 increase, a 15 day CLUB match ban - which wouldn't affect his ability to play in the league match - and he's also playing off a 'false' Handicap.

Unless the person has said that's exactly what he will do how can you be sure that is what happened ?

How do you know that he didnt just forget or left it in his back pocket

You appear or should I say your club appears to make the suggestion that anyone who doesn't hand their card in is manufacturing their HC and I don't know how a club can justify that - it's ridiculous

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
And you wonder why some people see golf clubs as stuffy over officious ways to spend your hard earned money and leisure time.......

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, a quick example:

Anybody looking to approach things in this way is either
(1) not going to enter the Q comp I the first place because he just wants to protect his handicap for non Q events
(2) will realise his predicament in time to smoothly massage the return over the closing holes to give him the best chance to win the comp, but only get cut to a 17 handicap (as Norrin points out you mean 16.3 not 16.6 in your post).

Quite frankly I am now amazed at your overall attitude - you seem to have decided that you have a problem but aren't dealing with it at all! The question of what this player actually scored seems much more important than what happened to his card; the animosity a red herring (likewise the available key). The card he acted as marker on is presumably in the box - what are his scores on that? Is this issue real or imaginary? If real you have the powers to deal with it properly so use them.

HatedOfficial

Hacker
Visit site
Unless the person has said that's exactly what he will do how can you be sure that is what happened ?

How do you know that he didnt just forget or left it in his back pocket

You appear or should I say your club appears to make the suggestion that anyone who doesn't hand their card in is manufacturing their HC and I don't know how a club can justify that - it's ridiculous

Far from it - BUT as you will no doubt be aware, there ARE players who - shall we say - have a reputation for not being 100% trustworthy whilst still managing to stay just within the rules. This player is just such an example. :smirk:

HatedOfficial

Hacker
Visit site
Anybody looking to approach things in this way is either
(1) not going to enter the Q comp I the first place because he just wants to protect his handicap for non Q events
(2) will realise his predicament in time to smoothly massage the return over the closing holes to give him the best chance to win the comp, but only get cut to a 17 handicap (as Norrin points out you mean 16.3 not 16.6 in your post).

Quite frankly I am now amazed at your overall attitude - you seem to have decided that you have a problem but aren't dealing with it at all! The question of what this player actually scored seems much more important than what happened to his card; the animosity a red herring (likewise the available key). The card he acted as marker on is presumably in the box - what are his scores on that? Is this issue real or imaginary? If real you have the powers to deal with it properly so use them.

First off, thanks for the correction - it was late when I answered the post and I obviously pressed the wrong key.

As for my overall attitude - as you put it - first off, the player in question has been disqualified (after all, as you say, I DO have the power to do that!). BUT - and this is the crux of the matter - If the player is telling the truth, then there is something else going on, which I do NOT have the power to sort out. No Red Herrings - just events that have led me to have my suspicions.

Finally, the player in question had his card marked by a member who wasn't playing in the competition and who therefore didn't deem it necessary to return his card.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

HatedOfficial

Hacker
Visit site
And the HatedOfficial now disappears into the sunset, having dropped his parting bombshell that it's all about handicap massaging. Who could have predicted that?

LOL Certainly not you! I have not disappeared anywhere - certainly not into the Sunset as currently its broad daylight and persisting it down! Further, this isn't all about Handicap massaging - that possibility is just one option :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Far from it - BUT as you will no doubt be aware, there ARE players who - shall we say - have a reputation for not being 100% trustworthy whilst still managing to stay just within the rules. This player is just such an example. :smirk:

I'm sorry but this thread is going a bit strange now ?

First of all you are treating the whole club with the suspicion that they manufacture their HC if they don't submit their card - that in itself is shocking and I certainly wouldn't want to be near a club like that

2. If someone want to manipulate their HC they don't play very well then just don't bother entering card , they just play poorly then .1 back

3. Yes there are people who will manipulate their HC but I would suggest it is the very smallest of minority

4. Are you now suggesting that the person from OP is one such person ? Then why would he be annoyed at his card going missing ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love the idea of taking 2/3 minutes to enter score on computer. Takes me longer than that just to find my name on ours. :(The touch screen is so poor that it takes for ever to get each score in, and when I finally get to the end it tells me I have shot a gross 93, when it was obviously a 76.:mmm:

You can get a tool to fix that. It's called a hammer. :D

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
This is quite an predicament!

Personally this needs to be discussed at committee level and a new protocol brought in place. Ie is a new Box required or new system for handing cards in needed. (Ie box stays behind the bar and once entered into the box handed to bar staff to put in the box - reduces prospect of tampering) - Do you need to open the box and check the cards with 2nd person present to protect yourself.

I feel sorry for the guy - but no card No Return - 15 day ban I feel is unnecessary because he turned up and played the comp. Unfortunately the card is missing.

I feel the 15 day ban should come in if a guy a taken a slot and not showed up at all!

Take it with a pinch of salt TBH - If people don't like him its not your fault! Do your job and nothing more can be said.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Miss Marple theories aside this really ought to be a simple matter of DQ for rule breach 6-6b. The player will still live and it will teach him to be more careful in future.

What a strange setup where there is suspicion of stealing cards!

If that sort of thing really does go on then insist on being the one key owner or consider leaving.