What would make you leave your club?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There was a post recently about leaving a club because it was in too good a condition!:confused:

I'm about to leave my club after 15 years due to it being in appalling condition for the last 11 mths despite assurances it will get better, I'm sure it will but it's costing a fortune to play 3 courses that are worse than the local municipal.

So what other sound reasons would make you move clubs?

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Significant increase in fees would cause me problems. I expect small anual increases but big jumps would make me think.

Also if too many members got taken on, so that it was always difficult to get tee times, even on non competion weekends. No point paying when you can't get on the course.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Condition being poor with an increase in fee's.

DV I though you played at Gleneagles? Is it really that bad? I played the Queens last Sept and thought it was in decent nick.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course condition, DV i'm in the same boat, poor and overly priced food expensive bar prices ( dearer than pubs in town ) a secretary who cant be arsed replying to an email i sent 2 days ago ,i could go on.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the course/club was being run with priority/bias given to a certain section of the membership, with little thought given to any other section......... Oh hang on a minute, that's a fair description of my club...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Course condition, for me.

I travel about 20 miles to get to my home course and if it were poor i would simply go elsewhere.

Bar prices don't make a any difference as i can just vote with my feet on that one.

I'm a member to play so thats whats most important to me

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I left the club I started at last year, we just got sick of it. They introduced ridiculous memberships packages i.e £50 green fee membership for 4 months and just £2 every time you played, when we had paid £500 for the year! Also "twilight golf" at £4 a round no fees, but they started it at bloody 5! Just when you finish work and fancy going for a round, the world and his mother are teeing off. That meant the course was flooded with people who really didn't give much of a toss about the place, had queues on every tee people hacking up the course and not repairing divots or pitch marks, on top of that the greenkeeper was either A. unable or B. unwilling to keep up the maintenance of the place, it was going downhill fast so we left. The course Im at now has a far bigger membership but few enough green fees and the turf reaps the rewards, and unfathomably the membership costs the same. We now have a much longer commute but to a far happier destination.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I left the club I started at last year, we just got sick of it. They introduced ridiculous memberships packages i.e £50 green fee membership for 4 months and just £2 every time you played, when we had paid £500 for the year! Also "twilight golf" at £4 a round no fees, but they started it at bloody 5! Just when you finish work and fancy going for a round, the world and his mother are teeing off. That meant the course was flooded with people who really didn't give much of a toss about the place, had queues on every tee people hacking up the course and not repairing divots or pitch marks, on top of that the greenkeeper was either A. unable or B. unwilling to keep up the maintenance of the place, it was going downhill fast so we left. The course Im at now has a far bigger membership but few enough green fees and the turf reaps the rewards, and unfathomably the membership costs the same. We now have a much longer commute but to a far happier destination.

What kind of club is that? That sounds really bad. Is it a private members club?

DavePhoenix

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think a massive subscription increase would make me think but the most would be not being bale to just pitch up and play golf.
I used to play at Royal L'pool but trying to get a tee time was a nightmare!

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Course condition for me also, part of the reason I joined my club was due to the condition of the old one.

DV let me know when your free and we can get a game at my place as its in great nick at the moment.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Steve,

What's happened at your place? everytime I've been down there it has always been excellent.

Course condition, DV i'm in the same boat, poor and overly priced food expensive bar prices ( dearer than pubs in town ) a secretary who cant be arsed replying to an email i sent 2 days ago ,i could go on.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steve,

What's happened at your place? everytime I've been down there it has always been excellent.

Hi John

Its not in good condition very scaby ,half done jobs,things done that don't make any sense and detract from the look of the course,greens pretty poor and rough up to your knees in places it shouldn't be,if i was 20 yards of line yeah no problem but not a yard of the fairway.

I've always tried to promote it on here but i can't anymore im afraid.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What kind of club is that? That sounds really bad. Is it a private members club?

Nope, it was fine for learning the trade but short and uninspiring really, still it was so close to home I probably would have stayed a little longer but the over-run of bodies made it untenable. Our new course isnt private members either, its just a bit out of the way and doesnt get much green fee traffic from what I can tell, it has a healthy membership though and while always busy its rarely brutally-slow. Everyone gets on with it and as I say looks after the course they have pride in as opposed to somewhere youve paid a pittance for and dont care if you hack to pieces.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are they short of cash due to low membership or just not getting the work done due to the weather mate?
They will be limited on what they can do with all this rain and that may be why it's the way it is just now.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A significant hike in prices or a significant drop in course condition. Bearing in mind that my course is 700yds from the house, I may well put up with it for a while.
Playing the most golf now since I was a lad

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, it was fine for learning the trade but short and uninspiring really, still it was so close to home I probably would have stayed a little longer but the over-run of bodies made it untenable. Our new course isn't private members either, its just a bit out of the way and doesn't get much green fee traffic from what I can tell, it has a healthy membership though and while always busy its rarely brutally-slow. Everyone gets on with it and as I say looks after the course they have pride in as opposed to somewhere you've paid a pittance for and don't care if you hack to pieces.
sounds familiar were abouts is the course.