What part of your game are you working on?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a lesson with Paul Foston, chipping, pitching and definitely putting. It's clear to me that I could save more shots per round if I improve,say 10% in those areas than I could in whatever improvement I could make from a 10% improvement in my long game.
This is the one.
When you get to a certain age your long game is more or less ingrained.
Unless you are willing to dismantle your swing and start again.
So the big gains are 100 yds and in .
That’s all I practice these days.
It takes the strain off your body as well.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
During lockdown I was chipping maybe 40-50 balls a day in the garden, for a few weeks of it anyway. Tried to simulate chipping 10-15 yards around the green to a landing spot and with spin. Definitely getting a better strike since getting back out on the course, but struggling with confidence to fully commit to the shot, concerned about thinning it or hitting it too hard/no spin and running through the green. More work needed. Saying that, with the firmness of the ground and greens, I’ve gone back to chip n run with a fair bit of success.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During lockdown I was chipping maybe 40-50 balls a day in the garden, for a few weeks of it anyway. Tried to simulate chipping 10-15 yards around the green to a landing spot and with spin. Definitely getting a better strike since getting back out on the course, but struggling with confidence to fully commit to the shot, concerned about thinning it or hitting it too hard/no spin and running through the green. More work needed. Saying that, with the firmness of the ground and greens, I’ve gone back to chip n run with a fair bit of success.
It’s all about the strike.
You then just choose a club to suit the shot.
Full commitment to the strike.

jamiet7682

Visit site
5 iron, 5 wood and driver. Just cant hit them straight.
Can hit my hybrid 200 yards and straight so until i can hit driver at least 230 at straight it is staying in the bag.
Same with 5 wood, no real advantage in hitting it against my hyrid at the moment.
5 iron i consistantly slice so a 160 yard 7 iron is always the go to.

D

Deleted member 21258

Being work on the speed aspect during lockdown.

Now on the course, working on trying not to lose any golf balls.:oops::LOL:

Maybe I need to buy a net.;)

jamiet7682

Visit site
Biggest improvement ive seen has been hitting my hybrid, gripping down on the club, closing my stance and hitting it like an iron has made a massive difference in control and havent lost any distance.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s all about the strike.
You then just choose a club to suit the shot.
Full commitment to the strike.

Totally agree. It’s just, in the garden there are no consequences if I duff one or over egg it (aside from a smashed window!), but on the course it’s a shot you can never take again!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree. It’s just, in the garden there are no consequences if I duff one or over egg it (aside from a smashed window!), but on the course it’s a shot you can never take again!
You need to lose that fear. To play a good golf shot you need to be fully committed, but to be fully committed you can't be scared of a bad result. It's really not the worst thing in the world if you chunk one or thin one. You lose one shot on a round of golf. It's honestly fine. If you stop worrying about hitting bad shots you tend to hit better shots anyway.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Gotta be my short game. Can't say I'm actually working on it, but just taking a while to get the feel and timing right. My new putter might take some getting used to also. First game with it on Sunday.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Other crucial thing I am working on (to try and take the unmentionables out of my game as much as possible) is my hip turn.

I am focussing on 'waiting' to feel a bit of tension down my left arm and getting my left hip pointing at the ball before I start downswing. And that seems to be working at the moment as I must be getting some hip turn, and I must be building up connected tension down my left side. I have had very little of either these things these last few years - and at the same time I have had a lot of the unmentionables - the two will not be unconnected.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I play and practice a lot, I try to ensure I focus on whatever is weakest, this has been working out with chipping and pitching, which I feel much better about having worked on this area of my game. I’m up and down more often and three outs are less frequent than before.

I’m currently focusing on shots off the tee, the driver needs to be more consistent but not only that my shorter irons on par threes are much worse than my 2nd shots in at an equivalent distance, which is probably caused by what’s going on in my head, which is also something I’m also trying to work on, imagining a good shot and outcome, focus on the positives.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Using fairway woods off the tee. My driver is wayward and costs me shots. I am OK with my 5 wood off the deck and tried it off the tee last time out and it was much more reliable than my driver. I can’t hit a 3 wood off the deck, but I’m toying with getting one to match my 5 wood and using it only off the tee to hopefully increase the distance to nearer that of my driver. If all goes well, I’ll sell the driver and recoup the cost of the 3 wood.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds daft but picking a specific target on the tee box ... so many times I’d just try and hit the fairway it’s markedly improved my scoring with me hitting a couple under 80 rounds off the yellows.

Was a little bit hungover the other day and got sloppy and proceeded to hit a few blocks oob

Irons - I’m trying to feel like I exit low left it’s improved my ball striking but I can overdo it and get a few pulls going on

Also practicing bunker shots on the practice area a lot I was shocking out of them for nearly a year (chunks and knifes) and it probably impacted my approach shots as it felt like it was an absolute disaster to go in one

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been playing a lot recently which in itself is a good thing but it has highlighted which areas are causing me trouble. I had a lesson almost as soon as ranges and lessons were back on the agenda and changed posture (nearer and taller) and the back swing (wider and less picking up). Both working well but both needing constant monitoring on the course. This week I really want to get back to my chipping and pitching as I've neglected this in order to hit balls and focus on the swing changes. Really want to work on my putting but the green is off limits unless you are going out to play. Might have a word with the office and see if that applies once the last booked time has gone out at 7.00

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been trying to get rid of any technical thoughts when I'm putting.

As a kid I was fearless and putted really well so I'm just trying to trust the old feelings.

Apart from my eyesight being worse, green-reading being worse, feel for distance being worse, nerves over missing the putt being huge, and general talent at getting the ball in the hole ? almost disappeared, it's going really well thank you ?.
At least you haven't got the yips yet. Definitely ahead of the game