What one change would you make at your club?

Albo

Visit site
We lack a very short one 166 is shortest.
a lot of clubs have made a bit of a mess of this so they can advertise a “ championship length course” to visitors.
but 224 up hill is a nonesense to most am golfers.
Yeah, but that’s off the whites, off the yellow it’s a much more friendly 222! And off the red practically a gimme bird at 220

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be able to tee off earlier. 7.30am first tee in the middle of the summer is annoying and stops me getting out before work.

It is 7.30 where I play and the reason given is that it prevents the members stopping the green staff getting on with prep work.

sjw

Visit site
I think it would be good if, when booking a tee time, you could say whether you wanted to allow others to fill the remaining slots, or if you wanted to keep it as just your party.

BUT the main change I'd want to put in is making weekend morning slots available to solo golfers if they are still unbooked 24 hours beforehand. Sometimes I want to play solo and 11.30 on a Saturday would be ideal, but I can only book 12pm onward. If that 11.30 slot is still vacant at 6pm on a Friday afternoon, let me have it!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
It is 7.30 where I play and the reason given is that it prevents the members stopping the green staff getting on with prep work.

Yeah that is the reason for it, and I do get it. But would rather a rule where they have priority before say 8am and you must start from 1st before x time.

peld

Visit site
Take the fortunes we make from membership and visitors and invest in some good greenkeepers and improve the course. We have 900 members and make a fortune from visitors, yet barely anything is ever done to improve and invest in the course - just ticks over.

evemccc

Visit site
Take the fortunes we make from membership and visitors and invest in some good greenkeepers and improve the course. We have 900 members and make a fortune from visitors, yet barely anything is ever done to improve and invest in the course - just ticks over.

Where is that, or what county (if you don’t want to give it away), I wonder how it gets fortunes from visitors if the course could do with investment and improvement

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We lack a very short one 166 is shortest.
a lot of clubs have made a bit of a mess of this so they can advertise a “ championship length course” to visitors.
but 224 up hill is a nonesense to most am golfers.
When we had our par 3s rebunkered we did the bunkering on our 168yd 13th really challenging given a new tee we are to build for the hole. We did not have a short ‘target‘ par 3 where a pin position could be set that rewarded the accuracy of the better player, but with associated risk.

Our new tee on 13th will give us a 130-140yd hole with an easy green shot and a high risk reward shot. We’ll then have tees that will enable us to set lengths 25 yds apart for the four par 3s from say 135 to 210yds, each hole with green side bunkering commensurate with length of tee shot required.

We will retain the current tee on the 13th if or until we feel the need to find 30yds somewhere else on the course…but that’s not a priority.

Last edited:

JayB

Visit site
I think it would be good if, when booking a tee time, you could say whether you wanted to allow others to fill the remaining slots, or if you wanted to keep it as just your party.

BUT the main change I'd want to put in is making weekend morning slots available to solo golfers if they are still unbooked 24 hours beforehand. Sometimes I want to play solo and 11.30 on a Saturday would be ideal, but I can only book 12pm onward. If that 11.30 slot is still vacant at 6pm on a Friday afternoon, let me have it!

I wouldn't like to be able to block slots unless in an official match or something, you run the risk that if a number of people/groups do this that you struggle to find any space to book yourself while the course remains relatively empty.

Also, I can't think of anything worse than playing as a single, mid-morning on a Saturday. Granted your club may be different but I can only go on my experience at my previous club, you'll just end up waiting around between shots. If the course is full with 3 and 4 balls then I don't expect anybody will let you play through as there isn't the space to allow it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We can play from 1st light
Greenkeepers have priority before 7.45 ( i think) but they normally let me play through when I go out at stupid o'clock :cool:

Our green staff have priority until 9am but like many a club rule there are a lot of members who will not have read it and many that probably would not abide by it.

sjw

Visit site
I wouldn't like to be able to block slots unless in an official match or something, you run the risk that if a number of people/groups do this that you struggle to find any space to book yourself while the course remains relatively empty.

Also, I can't think of anything worse than playing as a single, mid-morning on a Saturday. Granted your club may be different but I can only go on my experience at my previous club, you'll just end up waiting around between shots. If the course is full with 3 and 4 balls then I don't expect anybody will let you play through as there isn't the space to allow it.

Our course reserves tee times for your party regardless at the moment. I'm proposing that the option be given to open the slot up, not to block it off - that's what already happens :)

Dingy

Visit site
Last year I might have said take away the bunker on the right side of the fairway on our 9th hole, but they have done it and now that it's gone I can find the left side of the fairway all the time. Stupid game.

sunshine

Visit site

But do you know how much revenue the course generates?

Resort courses typically do not make much money from the golf, the course often exists to attract people to stay and spend loads in the hotel on food and drinks.