What one change would you make at your club?

evemccc

Visit site
Think it’s prob best to stop the accusations or hints about people cheating or being lax with the rules amongst friends- it’s poor form , if someone wants to cheat they will do it regardless of who they are playing with

Let’s also remember that for 99.9% of us we play golf for enjoyment , social activity and the odd bit of banter.

The Saturday medal for most is the chance for a game of golf as opposed to looking to fill up the mantelpiece

Not about cheating….. feeling totally relaxed with your PP is not something you’d feel in a club match….so why allow it in a serious club competition?

Feeling not exactly unease but certainly not relaxed heightens the competitive element

Mandofred

Visit site
Think it’s prob best to stop the accusations or hints about people cheating or being lax with the rules amongst friends- it’s poor form , if someone wants to cheat they will do it regardless of who they are playing with
If it wasn't happening....I wouldn't have mentioned it. Someone who isn't your "friend" is more likely going to say something. Golfers are just normal people who like to play golf......a fair amount of golfers don't follow the rules.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not about cheating….. feeling totally relaxed with your PP is not something you’d feel in a club match….so why allow it in a serious club competition?

Feeling not exactly unease but certainly not relaxed heightens the competitive element

There is no such thing as a serious club competition, other than in the minds of the people who like the think there is. It’s just a round of golf.

Mandofred

Visit site
There is no such thing as a serious club competition, other than in the minds of the people who like the think there is. It’s just a round of golf.
If a person takes it seriously.....then it's serious to them. It might not be serious for you....fair enough. I take every round fairly seriously and am not happy if I play like a plonker......which unfortunately happens.

D

Deleted member 15344

Club matches are always relaxed 🤷‍♂️

And by serious club comps I guess you mean scratch comps which are normally drawn

Albo

Visit site
If a person takes it seriously.....then it's serious to them. It might not be serious for you....fair enough. I take every round fairly seriously and am not happy if I play like a plonker......which unfortunately happens.
One of the things I’m trying to do in 2023 is enjoy my golf more, regardless of how I play. It’s a pass time and not being happy when I don’t play well -something I’ve done far too many times - is starting to seem counter productive to something I do as an enjoyable pass times.

Mandofred

Visit site
One of the things I’m trying to do in 2023 is enjoy my golf more, regardless of how I play. It’s a pass time and not being happy when I don’t play well -something I’ve done far too many times - is starting to seem counter productive to something I do as an enjoyable pass times.
I've been working on it for years. I'm slowly getting better at not letting it get to me......a work in progress. I'm a bit of a masochist though, it's the struggle and the up and downs that keep me coming back. If it was always easy and never frustrating I'd pack it in.

BiMGuy

Visit site

As I said. People are free to think what they want.
I’ve played with people who take it far too seriously, and it’s generally not that enjoyable of an experience. They often 💩 themselves because the have “a card in their hand”.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I've been working on it for years. I'm slowly getting better at not letting it get to me......a work in progress. I'm a bit of a masochist though, it's the struggle and the up and downs that keep me coming back. If it was always easy and never frustrating I'd pack it in.
That is the joy of golf. It’s a test of your own mind as much as anything else. I feel just as good grinding out a score and keeping going after a bad start as I do putting up a good score without much drama.

RichA

Visit site
As I said. People are free to think what they want.
I’ve played with people who take it far too seriously, and it’s generally not that enjoyable of an experience. They often 💩 themselves because the have “a card in their hand”.
Yep. Horses for courses innit.
I generally play better when I've got a card in my hand because I take it more seriously, but all our comps are drawn. There aren't many at ours who I actively dislike, but I'm only playing once a week at the moment, so I'd rather have a nice time with friends, play hero shots, get the rum out on the 10th tee, not take it too seriously and enjoy myself. That said, I'd still like to play a bunker shot off fluffy sand.

Albo

Visit site
Yep. Horses for courses innit.
I generally play better when I've got a card in my hand because I take it more seriously, but all our comps are drawn. There aren't many at ours who I actively dislike, but I'm only playing once a week at the moment, so I'd rather have a nice time with friends, play hero shots, get the rum out on the 10th tee, not take it too seriously and enjoy myself. That said, I'd still like to play a bunker shot off fluffy sand.
I don’t particularly take golf seriously, it just does my box in when I have a round which things are going particularly badly, played yesterday just a bounce game, but kept thinning / topping everything, first few holes I just shrugged, better to be out in the fresh air than working etc. after 10 holes it got to me and I started to get down on myself, I’m not one to throw clubs or externalise my annoyance, but internally it was grinding my gears. Found a feeling on 14 tee and ended up hitting the last 5 GIR. Gotta take the positive, but those first 13 holes were more a struggle than I’d have liked.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A tattoo on the forehead is a bit extreme. It’s much easier just to brand the left buttock 🤣.

As with most things you appear to have a sensible opinion and grasp that not everyone wants the same experience from joining a golf club.

But, there are quite a few on here who don’t think like that, who are almost cult like in their devotion to their club, and believe everyone else must be too. They don’t see or accept other people want different things from golf club membership.
Yes I agree here.
we have sweeps or roll ups ,we have many members that would not let anyone play on their own.
They invite you to play with them. But are not insulted it you decline. “ want to work on your game”
it takes all kinds at clubs and I think we have it just about right.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course as a whole is very good, hence why I'm there 😄, but the par 3's are a weakness imo. They are a bit of a slog, I use driver on 2, 3 Wood on another and rescue on the remainder. No irons on any of them ☹. That can't be good.
I agree. Par 3s at ours are 204/190/ for most ams that’s not a test of your accuracy it’s a driver.
just wait until we lose yardage with the new ball :eek:
as I think oems will say it’s every ball or none.

Albo

Visit site
I agree. Par 3s at ours are 204/190/ for most ams that’s not a test of your accuracy it’s a driver.
just wait until we lose yardage with the new ball :eek:
as I think oems will say it’s every ball or none.
We have a good mix, I think, one is ~224 up hill which is a killer, then 188, 213, 123 and 151.
Though the longer ones are tough, the shorter ones test accuracy, it’s a good mix.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a good mix, I think, one is ~224 up hill which is a killer, then 188, 213, 123 and 151.
Though the longer ones are tough, the shorter ones test accuracy, it’s a good mix.
We lack a very short one 166 is shortest.
a lot of clubs have made a bit of a mess of this so they can advertise a “ championship length course” to visitors.
but 224 up hill is a nonesense to most am golfers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is impossible for me to be integrated into my club.
You have to choose which clique suits you best.
After nearly 50 years, I'm still undecided, although I have ruled some out - and one has ruled me out.
So I still feel not integrated into a clique and therefore not integrated into the club.
I'm just viewed as that strange yet friendly bloke who plays with anybody, but won't join a clique like a normal person.
😂 I could have typed that.

Saying that, I suppose I am in a clique of sorts, though as the Sat roll up draws from maybe 50 or so regulars and occasionals, and as it’s open to all every week and a random draw - it’s hardly a clique. Over the years I have got to know pretty well almost all of them so it doesn’t bother me one iota who I’m drawn with.

Fortunately at my place it’s dead easy to avoid the (few) cliques, they don’t take up very many tee times I’d be looking at to play…and so most of the time though I dislike cliques I’ll know as acquaintances most members of any clique, and I can happily just accept that they are what some others want - just not my thing.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
I think my club is moving in the right direction, having read the common moans on this thread so far. We are currently replacing the irrigation and slowly upgrading all the bunkers, finance permitting.

The one change I would like to see is a big tree clearance programme. Hundreds and hundreds were planted in the 70s and 80s, they are 40 years old now and block out views and light, as well as making the course more narrow. The course looks much better in the old photos, even in the 60s it was still very open.