What is it About Golf....................

G

guest100718

Natural ability will only take you so far without hard work. It's pretty much the same in reverse. How far? it is not clear.

Hard work alone should get you to a decent standard, but the very best have that something extra.

I'm a very very good pool player and have been since i could lift a cue, its not something I practiced, I was just good at it.

I still am and your lucky if I play once a year these days

D

Deleted member 15344

They aren't mutually exclusive though are they?! We aren't saying there are only two types of people

People A - naturally talented but don't work hard or practice
People B - talentless but very hard workers who will practice, practice, practice

This would be to dismiss natural talent and the part it plays in life.

The argument is simple. If you are prepared to work hard, harder than anyone else, you will be a success. No one is saying 'you will be the best in the world at whatever it is you are trying to do'.
The argument is also trying to point out that people who are successful, who you may believe are only successful because of luck / chance / natural ability, are in fact hard workers.

Ok I'll rephrase

It is quite hard obviously to quantify natural ability

But do you believe if someone without natural ability for a sport can practise enough to be good at it ?

Or does ability appear as people practise ?

obviously the best players will work hard to enhance their natural ability

It was just the tagline of "Talent - myth"

Also it's determined on the level of success

Im just in the belief that the level people you get to in sport will be determined by how much talent the person has - it is also then up to the player to reach that level dependent on how hard a player works

G

guest100718

The dan plan blog is doing exactly this, training for 10 000 hrs to see if he can get good enough to make the PGA tour.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok I'll rephrase

But do you believe if someone without natural ability for a sport can practise enough to be good at it ?

Im just in the belief that the level people you get to in sport will be determined by how much talent the person has - it is also then up to the player to reach that level dependent on how hard a player works

I refer you to the film Forest Gump. Ping Pong legend.

End thread.

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
all depends on the individual.

We've all got a limit to where we are able to go - in everything in life.

Whether that be in your job, or any skill you choose to learn, or sport you play.

one person, with the innate ability to play golf (ie the right mind, the right co ordination, the right body etc etc) might be able to get on tour if he practices 10,000 hrs.

Another, with no talent, or "god given gifts" would not, and might end up a 25 handicapper.

what is undeniable, is that in virtually every single case, practice, and working hard to improve will have positive results, and in both cases above, both golfers would improve their games from where they started.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Ok I'll rephrase

But do you believe if someone without natural ability for a sport can practise enough to be good at it?
Yes - define good though

Or does ability appear as people practise?
Yes - if you never practiced or played a sport, how would you ever see someone's ability?

'the level people get to in sport will be determined by how much talent the person has' I disagree. If someone is talented but is not prepared to work hard at all, they will never succeed. This is true in sport, in business, in academia. We all know that individual who is intelligent, but has shocking qualifications. We all know that sportsman who isn't playing to their potential, because they don't possess the drive to really test themselves. We all work with those people who are lazy or who spend their time writing on golf forums ... oh *&%$, I should get back to work...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it is because golf is a very personal sport. Its all bout continuous improvement that is measurable (hcp).
Can't agree with that. I play for fun like the majority of my mates. I stopped improving 35 years ago, but I have a lot more fun hacking round now, than I did when I was trying to get my handicap as low as possible. If continuous improvement was the main criteria the majority of golfers over 50 should pack it in.

5OTT

Visit site
For me its the fact that although I am still playing of 15 I know I can par every single hole on the course, its a matter of consistency for me as it no doubt is for most people.