What is it about 4 ball golf

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in a Greensome trophy comp today. It was very noticeable that there were large gaps in the field and it is often the same when we have a 4BBB comp on a Saturday.

What is that makes players not want to play at all rather than play 4 ball?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't play greensomes as I don't play any alternate shot format unless absolutely necessary as I simply don't enjoy it. I can't understand why there wouldn't be such a take up on BB as you play your own ball throughout and have a chance to post a score on every hole.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can’t see why people wouldn’t want to play 4BBB. Other than not having a card in your hand it’s a normal game for me.

Greensomes and Foursomes are fine a couple times a year but not my preferred choice.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
The way I look at it is if it isn’t a qualifier, I’m not getting out of bed.

We only play one BB a year. It’s a major, which was played last week. Prime time slots were empty.

i think the seniors play 4bbb and other team based games in the week, but weekend play is for proper golf.

D

Deleted member 16999

The way I look at it is if it isn’t a qualifier, I’m not getting out of bed.

We only play one BB a year. It’s a major, which was played last week. Prime time slots were empty.

i think the seniors play 4bbb and other team based games in the week, but weekend play is for proper golf.
Ryder Cup not proper golf then? :confused:

D

Deleted member 16999

I was waiting for that one! :rofl:

I aint paying a fiver when it isn’t for handicap.
Thats not a good return on my investment!
Could be very good practise or a chance to try different things while under competition conditions without affecting your handicap.

Dismissing other formats seems a bit short sighted.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played alternate shots last week at a GUI comp for my club last weekend. I have to say it was really enjoyable.

There was a certain pressure knowing you didn't want to put your partner in trouble and with it being stroke play only added to the pressure.

Not for the faint hearted. had first tee nerves for the first time in years.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I would have thought it would suit your game to a [ except from ] a tee, never seen you hitting 2 good shots in a row :rofl::rofl: only joshin pal :whistle:

😀 D'you not remember my second to the 17th at mar hall. Put it stiff to 2 inches and sank the putt. And that's the only time I remember 😛.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Greensomes is absolute rubbish! A little like letting someone have alternate bites of your sandwich, frustrating and half the pleasure..it should be banned!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
we play greensome for most of our mixed competitions, apparently they used to be foursomes but the men didn't like playing from some of the places they got put in by the partners drives. Well that's what I was told!

Co0incidently I am playing mixed foursomes this afternoon in an interclub team knockout

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We only have 3 Saturday 4 ball comps year all with trophies attached. I just find it a bit odd that players would prefer not to play at all.

If you do not want to play in the comp you are allowed to fill the vacant slots on a Saturday morning but cannot book in advance and there were a lot of vacant slots on the day.

Our mixed is either greensomes or combined stableford and we have one comp which is 6 BB, 6 greensomes and 6 foursomes, I enjoy playing in that because it is something different.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have entered our first Greensomes competition to be held in a few weeks. Any tips (from those who don't hate the format)?

Playing with someone who has been a FC in a group a few times, but not a playing partner. Have never experienced this format before, but fancy having a go as I like team sports and always love Texas scramble, as much for the camaraderie and discussions about how to approach a shot as the competitive element.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have entered our first Greensomes competition to be held in a few weeks. Any tips (from those who don't hate the format)?

Playing with someone who has been a FC in a group a few times, but not a playing partner. Have never experienced this format before, but fancy having a go as I like team sports and always love Texas scramble, as much for the camaraderie and discussions about how to approach a shot as the competitive element.

All you can do is try your best, both of you will have some bad shots , so don't worry. Good way to lose PPs though :whoo:.
Nothing worse than seeing your perfect drive being put into the cabbage by your PP, so i'm told . :rofl: