What I do in the clubhouse

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The culture over here has changed a lot since I started playing, around 10-15 years ago. Then it was common for people to have 2-3 pints and drive home. In rural clubs it would be more. (I never did this but the older guys did this without blinking). Now 99% of golfers know the rules regarding drinking and driving and it is socially unacceptable. It has changed golf clubs enormously, no doubt cost them a lot of money, but at least more people get to live now. Unless you are sharing lifts, alcohol is less prevalent in clubs than it was. This is why it is important that clubs have a decent tea / coffee machine and not some horror machine spitting out something undrinkable.

Agree on this - and ours is good quality

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Coffee and sandwich before a round, sometimes after if playing the par 3 course.

Before I jacked it in at my last club, sinking 10-15 pints post round was pretty usual, hence the reason I stopped playing golf :p

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The culture over here has changed a lot since I started playing, around 10-15 years ago. Then it was common for people to have 2-3 pints and drive home. In rural clubs it would be more. (I never did this but the older guys did this without blinking). Now 99% of golfers know the rules regarding drinking and driving and it is socially unacceptable. It has changed golf clubs enormously, no doubt cost them a lot of money, but at least more people get to live now. Unless you are sharing lifts, alcohol is less prevalent in clubs than it was. This is why it is important that clubs have a decent tea / coffee machine and not some horror machine spitting out something undrinkable.

There's a well known Scottish gob sheeiite at our place who regularly has maybe 8 pints after a round and drives home all the way to Darlington. No one dares say anything to him, ex pro footballer, has previous for gbh and drink driving apparently.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There's a well known Scottish gob sheeiite at our place who regularly has maybe 8 pints after a round and drives home all the way to Darlington. No one dares say anything to him, ex pro footballer, has previous for gbh and drink driving apparently.

I'm sure that we all needed to know his nationality! :rolleyes:

Anyway, why not phone the Police anonymously? Would your conscience by clear if he wiped out a family or an old dear crossing the road? You and your clubs bar staff really should be doing everything to ensure that doesn't happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyway, why not phone the Police anonymously? Would your conscience by clear if he wiped out a family or an old dear crossing the road? You and your clubs bar staff really should be doing everything to ensure that doesn't happen.

Exactly this - where he comes from is irrelevant and why don’t you or someone else phone the police. We used to have people like that but the threat of phoning the police has stopped them being at the club as much - now you go up in the morning and cars are everywhere from people getting lifts or taxis home.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I always go for a beer after the round. The course I play at (not a member) is also a hotel / Spa, so generally a few people in. Quite pricey (members have a loyalty card which is fair), so generally just one drink. When I was a member and played every Saturday, I'd normally not stop for a drink as was rushing off to play football or cricket.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

we have a guy thats a retired police CI and reg has a few after golf and drives home, i think he's been grassed to the Local Constabulary on a few occasions and they havn't bothered turning up... what makes it worse is he lives around the corner and could walk easily, 5 mins at most

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have, he got stopped and breathalysed, passed on that particular evening and nothing changed, still drinks like a fish. It's not up to me to be a one man anti drink drive campaign, the club know full well about it but do nothing as I suspect they're happy to take the thousands he puts behind the bar every year.