The Inspiration

D

Deleted member 15344

What is an inland links? I thought links courses were seaside courses?
No such thing as inland links even more so when on reclaimed swamp or by a motorway - it’s basically just an open field with no trees and is windy hence why they call them inland links. Guess they are closer to moorland courses

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I’m being slightly tongue in cheek. I played an ‘inland links’ once. It had been a rubbish dump. Seemed appropriate
🙂 My first membership was at one (before the days of discounts for working youngsters), and I quite liked it. Although they did let the rough go out of control one summer.
Looked it up recently and seemed as though it changed hands and they'd planted a load of trees.

Back to the OP - it looks fairly interesting. The design pair mentioned did the place I've played the last few years, and I think are fairly well respected.

sunshine

Visit site
Mill Green (wgc).
There are 3 holes on 'proper' ground that are lovely in the sunny, but grim atm. The rest are fine.
I don't think I've ever played it between March and October!

Mill Green is never an inland links*.

(*although I agree with Phil there isn't really such a thing)

sunshine

Visit site
Not sure about the name of it either. 'The Inspiration' sounds a bit pretentious to me. I suppose it beats Northolt Golf Club

Inspiration is better than when it was originally called West London Links.

The name sounds very American to me.

They are also building a course in Edgware, which is going to be called the Legacy Club, which is equally American sounding.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So not a links, just somewhere with no trees?
Its Malcolm Tucker.
Spinning a virtue out if necessity. Rather than wait decades for trees to grow, if you are prepared to move enough earth around into humps, its a way of having 'instant golf course'. No trees ? Tell people its an inland links. They like the idea of links. Brilliant.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is to many people.
Not to many people that want to become members of a golf club in North West London.
While I admire the virtuous sentiments, I was just trying to put it in context for those from outside the crazy world of South East England membership fees.
It's definitely not relatively expensive for the area.
It's always depressing seeing the prices that people pay to play at quality courses points North and west.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, more 'links style ' - few/no trees, perhaps humps/shaping
Despite the approbation up thread, I think that this pretty well describes MG. Apart from the holes that aren't!!
Maybe we should have a different category for "landfill links"?

D

Deleted member 35577

Despite the approbation up thread, I think that this pretty well describes MG. Apart from the holes that aren't!!
Maybe we should have a different category for "landfill links"?
In my day a landfill site was known as a dump. Maybe dump would be a suitable categorisation ie. "This course is a dump"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a fan of the name and is there such a thing as an inland links. Will be worth a visit in time but may let the course, especially the greens bed in a little first and the initial flood of visitors quieten down

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£1850 for 7 day membership and £1550 for a 5 day membership, both get similar access to the 9 hole over the road and 1000/500 range balls as well. Club house to start work at end of year so have temporary one at present.