The Inspiration

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
£1850 for 7 day membership and £1550 for a 5 day membership, both get similar access to the 9 hole over the road and 1000/500 range balls as well. Club house to start work at end of year so have temporary one at present.
On the face of it that seems reasonable given the location close to London. I wonder if that will jump at any point in the near future if they are struggling to make money or get enough members and green fees

sunshine

Visit site
£1850 for 7 day membership and £1550 for a 5 day membership, both get similar access to the 9 hole over the road and 1000/500 range balls as well. Club house to start work at end of year so have temporary one at present.

This is an absolute bargain for a world class links, blending seaside British links, American parkland and Sandbelt golf to create a brand new golf experience in London. I'm sure the marketing team haven't made any outrageous claims.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is an absolute bargain for a world class links, blending seaside British links, American parkland and Sandbelt golf to create a brand new golf experience in London. I'm sure the marketing team haven't made any outrageous claims.
I sense a forum meet coming on.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Humps made out of landfill, do not a world class links make! 🤣🤣

Mind you, MacKenzie and Ebert have got their paws on some decent renovation lately.

Thing is purests laugh but the members at ours love it.. it may claim to be inland links but in reality it's one of the best courses in the area. Mainly because Essex isn't blessed with fantastic golf courses with the clay soil.

Ours is £1800 7 day £1440 5 day. For London prices that's very reasonable. It's playable all year round (played today after solid rain last week and fairways, tees and greens outstanding)

10 mins from the M25 so good transport links for visitors

The purests get a bee in their bonnet and Scoff "it's not a links" but they miss the point. People don't actually care. They just want good quality golf course that's playable all year round and not far away. 10 mins drive from my house I'm delighted with that . All the other courses in the area are swamps ATM where as we have members of other courses popping over to play a course in good condition

Purists can stick it where the sun don't shine 😆

D

Deleted member 15344

Thing is purests laugh but the members at ours love it.. it may claim to be inland links but in reality it's one of the best courses in the area. Mainly because Essex isn't blessed with fantastic golf courses with the clay soil.

Ours is £1800 7 day £1440 5 day. For London prices that's very reasonable. It's playable all year round (played today after solid rain last week and fairways, tees and greens outstanding)

10 mins from the M25 so good transport links for visitors

The purests get a bee in their bonnet and Scoff "it's not a links" but they miss the point. People don't actually care. They just want good quality golf course that's playable all year round and not far away. 10 mins drive from my house I'm delighted with that . All the other courses in the area are swamps ATM where as we have members of other courses popping over to play a course in good condition

Purists can stick it where the sun don't shine 😆

It’s just not a links - regardless of purists etc it’s just not a links course inland or true

Ingrebourne is your standard newer course , greens will drain well and it fits a market well - it’s your modern marketing of country club etc - to call it “stunning links golf” as it does on the website is amusing but most course love to over market themselves

Played there a few times with friends from Ipswich , food nice - just lack character for me

Would prefer to drive the 20 mins to Thorndon Park which is very nice

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s just not a links - regardless of purists etc it’s just not a links course inland or true

Ingrebourne is your standard newer course , greens will drain well and it fits a market well - it’s your modern marketing of country club etc - to call it “stunning links golf” as it does on the website is amusing but most course love to over market themselves

Played there a few times with friends from Ipswich , food nice - just lack character for me

Would prefer to drive the 20 mins to Thorndon Park which is very nice

Thorndon is beautiful , it's hands down the best course in the area . Will be returning there this month. However it doesn't hold up aswell in the winter.

It's good to see courses built on landfill, lands got to be used for something.

Can true links courses even be built anymore?? The land is normally protected now for wildlife.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that near Rainham? Drove past it once on a rough weather day, so didn't get a fair look!🤣

You won't see anything driving past , it's not visible from the road. You might get a small view of the par 3 course next to the range but the course starts behind the fishing lake (which apparently we now own)

sunshine

Visit site
People don't actually care. They just want good quality golf course that's playable all year round and not far away. 10 mins drive from my house I'm delighted with that . All the other courses in the area are swamps ATM where as we have members of other courses popping over to play a course in good condition

This is the point. The members don't care what it's called, they just want a playable local course.

There's just no need for silly marketing people to invent fairy stories about inland links, world class holes etc. It's just a land of make believe.

By the way, I think building golf courses on landfill is an excellent use of space, especially as the drainage and irrigation can be properly designed and installed. Much better than farmers' fields.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the point. The members don't care what it's called, they just want a playable local course.

There's just no need for silly marketing people to invent fairy stories about inland links, world class holes etc. It's just a land of make believe.

By the way, I think building golf courses on landfill is an excellent use of space, especially as the drainage and irrigation can be properly designed and installed. Much better than farmers' fields.

Marketing like a driver goes further than last year's?

Life is one big market spin that people lap up

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know why some people give such a massive one that a course calls themselves 'inland links' or whatever. I just take that to mean that it drains well, which sounds like a good idea with the year we're currently having. And no trees which I'm also a fan of with the year I'm currently having. 😆

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

So what should the marketing people say?

"Stunning landfill course, plays like a tip should, not to be missed.
There are some holes that are better than average."

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I disagree with the last sentence. We are built on an old farm on crown land so it has a myriad of natural drainage ditches that the constructors have utilised. Add in modern drainage techniques as well and it does drain well apart from 15 and 16 which are the lowest points and we're doing more work to use some other natural ditches just outside the boundary of the course and a natural pond to change this although no courses locally have been able to deal with the rainfall

I agree members will want a course that is playable from opening that matures as the years go by and offers a decent test of golf for the handicap player. Anything else is marketing spiel and I may be old school but there is no such thing as an inland links. If it isn't on a coast it can't be considered links

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I disagree with the last sentence. We are built on an old farm on crown land so it has a myriad of natural drainage ditches that the constructors have utilised. Add in modern drainage techniques as well and it does drain well apart from 15 and 16 which are the lowest points and we're doing more work to use some other natural ditches just outside the boundary of the course and a natural pond to change this although no courses locally have been able to deal with the rainfall

I agree members will want a course that is playable from opening that matures as the years go by and offers a decent test of golf for the handicap player. Anything else is marketing spiel and I may be old school but there is no such thing as an inland links. If it isn't on a coast it can't be considered links

Apparently frinton golf course (despite being next to the sea) isn't a links course

Apparently being links style and by the sea isn't enough

D-S

Visit site
Apparently frinton golf course (despite being next to the sea) isn't a links course

Apparently being links style and by the sea isn't enough
I guess one of the tests would be if the OP played your course would he no longer consider himself a ‘links virgin’?