What distances do you hit?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a similar thing to you in that I carried clubs because I thought I had to have them for gapping, but if you don't have confidence in them it's pointless carrying them around, they only give you an option thats more likely to go wrong than right. Which is not an option!

If you flush everything in the sim but not on the course, maybe it is a commitment thing but what are your divots like? Maybe it's not that you have a perfect lie, but an artifical one.

I like the 3 wood for off the tee and would hit the 4 iron quite randomly to be honest (normally punching out of the trees haha)

It is 100% a confidence and commitment thing. I am not playing great at the moment and haven't been for a few months.

Ball striking is dreadful and inconsistent. Normally I would take a very very small divot to no divot but my low point is after the ball (checked on trackman last lesson). I am working on a few things but have been suffering with a bad elbow and wrist and can't shake it so not practicing enough at the moment.

My main problem is getting trapped inside so working on creating room and taking it away on the outside

Swango1980

Visit site
I like the 3 wood for off the tee and would hit the 4 iron quite randomly to be honest (normally punching out of the trees haha)

It is 100% a confidence and commitment thing. I am not playing great at the moment and haven't been for a few months.

Ball striking is dreadful and inconsistent. Normally I would take a very very small divot to no divot but my low point is after the ball (checked on trackman last lesson). I am working on a few things but have been suffering with a bad elbow and wrist and can't shake it so not practicing enough at the moment.

My main problem is getting trapped inside so working on creating room and taking it away on the outside
You want your low point to be after the ball (driver and green side bunker shots excluded). I'd dream to consistently have my low point after the ball.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You want your low point to be after the ball (driver and green side bunker shots excluded). I'd dream to consistently have my low point after the ball.
Yeah I know, it is crazy what you can do when you have the right swing thought. This is my last trackman numbers with the 6 iron.

Attachments

• 1A77784C-620A-43DE-8B97-6CB18E12A7D1.png
    1A77784C-620A-43DE-8B97-6CB18E12A7D1.png
    305.8 KB · Views: 24

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Defo mind your wrist and elbow chap that’s the priority. When you get back to it it’s obvious you have the game so creating the right mindset for each shot is all you need to work on. For example I found a routine for driving that works for me. It goes

5 standing behind the ball pick my target
4 address the ball aligning clubhead and feet
3 square my shoulders and take one practice takeaway back a few feet,
2 look back at the target and feel my swingthought (middle it at impact)
1 pull the trigger. That takes all of about 10 seconds, I try not to stall, but won’t move on to next step til I’m happy with last one. It’s made a huge difference to my mindset, I’m no longer steering the ball away from trouble etc. Try establishing a routine at the range but you have to be ruthless about executing it every time. If that’s the goal, you’ll soon find the goal of staying away from OoB is no longer even present

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a look at the split grip drill and your grip in general.
Might help...
Checked the grip with my pro and he said it is fine.

I saw the split grip drill posted on another thread and definitely going to give it a go once my elbow is better

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Defo mind your wrist and elbow chap that’s the priority. When you get back to it it’s obvious you have the game so creating the right mindset for each shot is all you need to work on. For example I found a routine for driving that works for me. It goes

5 standing behind the ball pick my target
4 address the ball aligning clubhead and feet
3 square my shoulders and take one practice takeaway back a few feet,
2 look back at the target and feel my swingthought (middle it at impact)
1 pull the trigger. That takes all of about 10 seconds, I try not to stall, but won’t move on to next step til I’m happy with last one. It’s made a huge difference to my mindset, I’m no longer steering the call away from trouble etc. Try establishing a routine at the range but you have to be ruthless about executing it every time. If that’s the goal, you’ll soon find the goal of staying away from OoB is no longer even in your vocabulary.

That is definitely something I need to work on, recently i have been weak in mindset and just get fed up. Think the bad weather has something to do with it as well.

Been a tough season for me as just not had any consistency. Handicap has came down a shot but never felt in control all year. Sort one thing out and the next goes

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is definitely something I need to work on, recently i have been weak in mindset and just get fed up. Think the bad weather has something to do with it as well.

Been a tough season for me as just not had any consistency. Handicap has came down a shot but never felt in control all year. Sort one thing out and the next goes

Yeah tbf it wasn’t a vintage year. I noticed at mine the handicaps seemed to be going up for everyone, lots of new names on the leaderboard every week, no one consistently smashing it or even close. Rubbish summer. Wouldn’t put too much stock in it.

If you’re nursing an injury maybe leave the clubs in a cupboard until we get a mild dry spell, then go play a course you’ve never played before. Don’t think about your score or even keep it, just enjoy the challenge of each new hole for what it is. Golf is beautiful on a coldish sunny January morning with a new course all to yourself. You’ll soon find it, it doesn’t sound far away at all 👍🏻

albie999

Visit site
It's an oldie but goldie........

Don't hit it harder, hit it better
So another session on the skytrak this morning, using the Bob method, of not trying to kill the thing. Yardages shorter, but a lot more consistent ... think I might try this approach, and then with general fitness, the distance might come back

Just for re-cap, this was the killing the thing figures
skytrak-session.JPG

and this is the swing easy figures
skytrak-session2.JPG

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was given free reign with the fitting cart today.
Tried the i500, mp20 hmb initially.
I500 dismissed pretty quickly. The HMB was as forgiving and long but felt sweeter and looked nicer.
Tried a shaft scan, kbs s flex graphite was really good, he did not have a regular. Tried a dynamic gold 300, px lz 5.5 and recoil regular. Liked the kbs and the recoil.
Then found the jpx919 forged and inserted the recoil in it. It flew beautifully, so tried again same result. Thought these were beyond me at the moment but they were great. I finally found the mp20 head and tried that .. that was just the same as 919 fantastic.
All were at least 10yards longer than my mp52s and more forgiving... so question is do I go hmb in 5,6,7 and then 8 to pw in std blade mp20 with the regular recoils ??

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.
If you have the sound on you will hear my club thump the mat after impact.
You may want to use a head cover or rolled up towel to replace the back ball for elf and safety
Cheers Bob, I’ll give it a crack. I usually think about a spot in front of the ball and let my head be pulled through by the swing ... if this makes sense

albie999

Visit site
Cheers Bob, I’ll give it a crack. I usually think about a spot in front of the ball and let my head be pulled through by the swing ... if this makes sense

I have started doing the same, noticed that I was either catching the floor, or just not clean ... so I have started to pick a spot in front of the ball, and try to aim for that, which in turn traps the ball. I do have to pick a different spot depending on the club, or so it seems ... maybe it is just the practice that I need with it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some great suggestions on here, thanks. I tend to pick the ball off the turf but hit it sweetest when hitting down more. I'll try the tips as posted above 👍

albie999

Visit site
Some great suggestions on here, thanks. I tend to pick the ball off the turf but hit it sweetest when hitting down more. I'll try the tips as posted above 👍

Tyrion, I tend to be a picker ... which sometimes work, but can also get some horrible thin bullets, as well as those fat shots ... when my focus is, dunno where ..... just feel by picking a spot (say 2-4 inches) in front, I forget about the ball, and it just gets in the way :)