What distances do you hit?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tyrion, I tend to be a picker ... which sometimes work, but can also get some horrible thin bullets, as well as those fat shots ... when my focus is, dunno where ..... just feel by picking a spot (say 2-4 inches) in front, I forget about the ball, and it just gets in the way :)
Do you look at the ball still or the spot in front of it? Are you imagining both the ball and the spot?

Springveldt

Visit site
What are the i500s like for feel on chip and run shots ? Do they feel disconnected or close to a forged club feeling?
Sorry, I wouldn't know, I've never played a forged club (only started back 4 years ago and had the G25's then i500's) and I use Vokey wedges from 120 yards and in. I use a 50 wedge for chip and run shots around the green.

The i500's do have a distinct "clicky" sound to them when you hit them pure, not the same sound as the lads I play with that have Mizuno and Callaway forged irons.

Springveldt

Visit site
To be fair the averages on the irons are more or less the same as mine, just those three mentioned, my 7 is 34, mines are a touch longer but again, 250 carry with a 3 wood is serious stuff.
As already said, he may have strong lofted irons.
If your 7 is 34 and you are carrying it 165 then I would have expected your woods to be in the same region as him. After my 4 iron I've got a 19 hybrid that carries 215, my 3 wood is 230 and driver is 250 (should be a bit longer but I'm having spin issues that is losing me 10 yards or so according to Trackman).

My driver swing speed was 104mph last time I was on Trackman.

Springveldt

Visit site
I hit my 3 iron 230 and regularly play with a guy who plays of scratch and hits his driver the same distance and absolutely schools me around my 6600 yard home course. Accuracy is king until you start playing big boy courses.
Accuracy is king always, but on a 6600 yard course and driving it 230 there must be 2 or 3 par 4's that he can't even reach in 2.
His short game must be amazing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I wouldn't know, I've never played a forged club (only started back 4 years ago and had the G25's then i500's) and I use Vokey wedges from 120 yards and in. I use a 50 wedge for chip and run shots around the green.

The i500's do have a distinct "clicky" sound to them when you hit them pure, not the same sound as the lads I play with that have Mizuno and Callaway forged irons.
No worries thank you, I hit an i500 on Friday.
Fantastically forgiving but I felt disconnected unlike the Mizuno HMB which offered the same distance and forgiveness as the i500

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This article on lofts and distances isn’t perhaps today - but it made interesting reading for me. Might go to part explain why I often confusingly find myself playing one even two clubs more than others - often much higher handicappers - for any particular distance. My forged clubs are 10yrs old and probably 15yr old technology with standard lofts of the time. Anyway I was more than happy that, after many months of trying, I managed to hit a lovely high and soft 7i ~150yds just short of pin high into our 13th yesterday.

http://www.leaderboard.com/loftinfo.htm

Last edited:

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Accuracy is king always, but on a 6600 yard course and driving it 230 there must be 2 or 3 par 4's that he can't even reach in 2.
His short game must be amazing.
Yes 2 holes he struggles to reach Par 4's 460 and 445 but as you say short game is unreal. Great to watch but not play against!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This article on lofts and distances isn’t perhaps today - but it made interesting reading for me. Might go to part explain why I often confusingly find myself playing one even two clubs more than others - often much higher handicappers - for any particular distance. My forged clubs are 10yrs old and probably 15yr old technology with standard lofts of the time. Anyway I was more than happy that, after many months of trying, I managed to hit a lovely high and soft 7i ~150yds just short of pin high into our 13th yesterday.

http://www.leaderboard.com/loftinfo.htm
This very interesting, I suppose you could say that now that they are very aware of perimeter weighting and mass allocation they can give a similar ball flight with lower loft. Would it make the game easier if the lofts stayed the same and utilised the new technology ? I have always felt loft made it easier and I have experimented with longer length higher loft with positive affect.